Re: Apples and Oranges: The Response

  • hamberg@fiber.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
      > Okay, okay. So handbows are easier to shoot than crossbows? Nice
      > spin. Of the Ludicrous Bowmen in the Knowne Worlde, how many of
      > them won the distinction with an unmarked handbow as opposed to a
      > sighted crossbow or handbow with limb markings?

      I have yet to see one source that documents a crossbow being fired in
      combat. I can't document firing a weapon similar to what is being
      done by crossbowmen in IKAC and Royal Rounds in Period. Can anybody
      provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a crossbow
      in a sitting position in combat?

      Michael

      PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be banned?
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
        > Can anybody
        >provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a crossbow
        >in a sitting position in combat?
        >
        >PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be banned?

        First of all, for the record, I am a 'standing crossbowmen' ...

        Now, to move on ...

        Firing from a sitting position in COMBAT ... of course not, except perhaps
        crossbowmen on the ramparts ...

        However, 'bench shooting' was VERY common place in late period as sport
        with crossbows. And that takes sitting even a step further. That also is
        what we are doing ... TARGET archery. We aren't simulating combat with our
        target bows, we are simulating the archery competitions of the day ...

        Which, there is lots of documentation/woodcuts/etc about crossbowmen
        competing while sitting at a bench.

        Siegfried

        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
      • eulenhorst@juno.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
          I believe there are also documents of crossbowmen sitting behind a rail
          shooting siege crossbows as snipers picking off the defenders from city
          or castle walls. I just don't have access to all my references right
          now. I do get tired of all this emphasis on "combat" when we are
          practicing a period sport and not fighting battles. It's time to take
          the blinders off and look at the full spectrum of archery as practiced in
          period, not just in war.

          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:21:22 -0500 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          <eliwhite@...> writes:

          > > Can anybody
          > >provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a
          > crossbow
          > >in a sitting position in combat?
          > >
          > >PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be
          > banned?
          >
          > First of all, for the record, I am a 'standing crossbowmen' ...
          >
          > Now, to move on ...
          >
          > Firing from a sitting position in COMBAT ... of course not, except
          > perhaps
          > crossbowmen on the ramparts ...
          >
          > However, 'bench shooting' was VERY common place in late period as
          > sport
          > with crossbows. And that takes sitting even a step further. That
          > also is
          > what we are doing ... TARGET archery. We aren't simulating combat
          > with our
          > target bows, we are simulating the archery competitions of the day
          >
          > Which, there is lots of documentation/woodcuts/etc about crossbowmen
          >
          > competing while sitting at a bench.
          >
          > Siegfried
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.