Re: Archery Company Guidelines

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999
      Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)

      For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...

      Siegfried

      At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
      >
      >Kaz

      Minister of Misinformation (Chronicler & Web Minister)
      http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999

      • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999
          In a message dated 9/22/1999 9:59:41 AM, cnogy@... writes:

          >Pistol grip crossbows are period....

          Kaz

          As always the question comes up?...What period? and what geographical scope?
          I would love to see the documentation for this as well as perhaps a
          illustration of this weapon.
          Tracy
        • Chris Nogy
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
            There are several examples of miniature bows used as assasins weapons in the
            14th-16th centuries - these bows had short, usually 2 piece prods so they could
            be collapsed and fitted into pocket or a pouch.

            These bows did not have a modern semi-automatic style pistol grip, they had
            what more resembled an early powder-pistol grip - long and bulbous, with a
            gentle curve (rather like the bows on that horrible movie, First Knight - it is
            one of the few things they actually got partly right.) There was a single
            example that I have seen drawings of from 15th century Germany of a bow that
            had a pistol grip that looked like a plumbing elbow, a complete curve that
            ended in a swelling much like a modern match pistol (The remmington Fireball is
            a good example), and it used a unigue modification of a drop-pin release that I
            have never quite gotten to work, but am still trying.

            These were not full-sized bows, mind you. They would not have been made with
            full sized prods or have been made with near the power of a good half or full
            bow. But for close-up work (as in assasination) they were more than effective.

            I have a couple of these bows that I have built, including a skein-powered
            collapsible (actually, breakapart) assasin's bow, and a small bow with a
            drop-roller release that uses a small Barnett prod.

            So if you are looking for the .45 cal Desert Eagle period crossbow, a
            documentable high-powered piece that can compete head-to-head with the other
            bows on the line, I can't help you. But I can find a few examples of the .25
            cal equivalent....

            Kaz

            > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
            11:33 AM:
            > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
            >
            > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
            >
            > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
            >
            > Siegfried
            >
            > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
            > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
            > >
            > >Kaz

          • Chris Nogy
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
              Trick response

              (I love it when folks rise to bait like that - gives me faith in my fishin
              abilities.)

              Explaination in next message - it was only half a trick question...

              Later

              Kaz

              > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
              11:33 AM:
              > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
              >
              > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
              >
              > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
              >
              > Siegfried
              >
              > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
              > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
              > >
              > >Kaz

            • Robert w stephenson
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
                No! No!
                I think that a 50 cal Desert Eagle crossbow would be more period. It
                would make a bigger and better "impression". You might even make a wrist
                snapping remark. A 25 cal crossbow will just upset your opponent. Then
                again maybe your opponent will laughs himself to death.
                Knut

              • Karl Sandhoff
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
                  My Lord,
                  I would very much like to know what you included as an attachment but my
                  email doesn't accept them.
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst