re: Hun!!!

  • Matthew Legge
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
      Hello Again,

      Sorry, in my last message I left out the fact that I have one of Kassai's
      Mongol bows which lookks like it is symmetric.

      Currently I have the arrow about 25mm lower than the bottom of the binding,
      just above the handle. This is most comfortable for me, however some of the
      photos of the bows at www.horsebows.com show some of the archers having an
      arrow pass in the middle of the bow.

      YIS

      Maidiu,
      Aneala
    • SMuth22664@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
        I've been shooting a Kassai "Mongol" bows for about 2 years now and have
        discoverd a couple of things. First off, the ones I have had draw
        significantly lighter than they are marked. The first was marked 42# at 28"
        and drew 32# at 28" (the bow scale we used is very reliable and has been used
        on longbows, recurves, and compounds with great acuracy). I complained to
        the merchant I got it from and he replaced it (very politely and without a
        fuss) with the heaviest one he had at the time which was marked 52#, it draws
        44# at 28". I use arrows spined 40 - 45# and have had good luck with it. I
        tried some 55# arrows and had a lot of problems.

        Another thinig is that canting (tilting) the bow really helps!

        I shoot european style (one over, two under) with the arrow at the very top
        of the "handle" section of the bow. The leading ends of my fletches are
        whipped (wrapped with thread) so I can shoot off my bare hand without picking
        bits of feather out of my flesh. I have found that tipping my bow hand
        downto the front with regards to the bow allows the fletching to pass over
        the base of my thumb and not the base of my index finger. This seems to help
        accuracy and prevent srcatches. I don't have a nock point on the string, I
        just kind of put the arrow where it feels best. I thought this would hinder
        my speed rounds but it actually seems to have helped.

        Hope this helps.
        Ottokar
      • James C Wolf
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
          Further thoughts on the Hun bow, on just having returned from the
          range-wax the upper and lower horns, just below and around the string
          holes-it will increase string life as the string wears/rubs in this area.
          Watch the wrappings on the string at top and bottom- they come loose and
          wear-wax helps here. The string wraps above and below the grip can come
          undone, watch for this. A little super glue stopped the unravelling on
          mine, at a cost to the looks.I read that the Turks placed a piece of
          Mother of Pearl on the grip under the arrow path to prevent wear on the
          wood- I used a piece of abalone shell. I fitted it to the grip, rounded
          the edges off, then used rubber cement and monofilament to tie it in
          place. I'll have to move it when I get a thumb ring, so permanence isn't
          wanted.The only way I have found to string it is by stepping thru and
          bending behind the leg-be careful! If you get hasty or careless, this bow
          WILL crack you solidly up side the head! I put the long(eared) end down
          and string up the lower end-the ears give some guidance and location for
          the "lower" string . Tie a piece of string or leather around this end,
          as it can come off and then all the work of bending and hooking up is
          wasted. This is a fun bow to shoot, and I wish you well with it. I love
          mine, and have found it worth every cent.
          FELIX