I really know nothing---

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      Caelainn wrote:
      >8P3383
      >A.MO.62"
      >25#
      >I confess I have no idea what these numbers mean.

      AMO 62" is the designation of the Archery Manufacturers
      Organization for the length of the bow. That means it uses a
      string with a designation of AMO 62". It does not mean that
      the bow is exactly 62" long, or that the string is exactly
      62" long. Or at least as I understand that terminology. The
      25# means the nominal pull at 28" is 25#. The actual pull
      may be somewhat above or below this (usually below in an
      older bow). The first set of numbers are probably model
      and/or series numbers. The 1953 (you wrote it as 9153) may
      very well be the year it was made. But not likely if the
      9153 is the actual order of the numbers. Bear was (is???) a
      manufacturer of very good bows. It was founded by Fred Bear,
      who was well known as one of the finest archers around. I
      have no idea if a 1953 model Bear bow is collectable or not.
      Wait, any bow is collectable, if you collect bows. What I
      mean is, I don't know if it has any real value as a
      collectable. Or if it is just another bow as far as
      'collectors' go. But it would be worth checking into. But be
      warned. There are literally thousands of Bear bows out
      there. I saw three Bear fiberglass/wood recurves at the
      local flea market just two weeks ago. I didn't buy them, but
      was tempted on two of them. The third one was cracked. They
      all three did sell that day. Two were 40# and one was 45#.
      Nothing really special or unusual about any one of them.
      They were all in the $20.00 to $25.00 dollar range, but I
      could have probably gotten them for $15.00, or less. I would
      think you should have the bow checked out before firing, and
      definately get a new string before firing, but not until
      after you get the bow checked. No sense buying a new string
      for a bad bow. The price you paid was probably about right,
      unless the bow is in real bad shape. Or unless it is a real
      'collector's' item.
      Not a magazine, as such, but you might want to check out
      www.stickbow.com. It is a site dedicated to the
      "Traditional" archer. Also, try Bodkin and Bolt, a FREE
      online magazine dedicated to the SCA archer. We have no
      quivers shown, YET. But we do have a few interesting
      articles. I say we, because I edit it, but don't own it.
      Sorry for the shameless plug! Well, not really! But while
      I am plugging the magazine, Let me go whole hog, and mention
      we have a contest going on for the best archery related
      "WAR" story. Go to the magazine for details.
      www.dskonline.net/bodkin. The prize is a really nice
      Doublet, and we had to extend the contest deadline because
      we had NO entries at the time we were going to end it
      before.

      YIS
      Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
      http://www.spider-strands.com