Re: [SCA-Archery] Another question

  • Nest verch Tangwystyl
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2001
      --- Ken Taylor <kdtaylor611@...> wrote:

      > SEE! I told you people I need help! lol. Im guessing I
      > am miscalculationg my drawlength. How does one do that
      > correctly? (if you can describe it)

      The best way to test your draw length is to go to the local archery shop
      and ask them to do it. They usually have an arrow which has been labelled
      with inches. When you draw back in a typical fashion for you, they can
      just read the number of inches off the test arrow.

      > And I dont even know the difference between composite
      > and recurve, I admit to my ignorance :( My apologies.

      Don't worry, you are trying to learn a new language. It takes a little
      while to learn all the terminology.

      > Another observation, I'd like to go with a #35 or less
      > because I can get 72 cheapo high school arrows (rated
      > for #35 or less) for $108. OR I can get 12? decent
      > arrows for $60 w/S&H. Which should I go with ... to
      > start out with. I figure, I'll do less walking back
      > and fourth initially when practicing with 72 target
      > arrows:)

      One thing you may want to think about here is how hard it is to shoot lots
      of arrows. Your muscles will tire if you shoot 72 arrows at once (mine
      would drop off). I try not to go over a dozen arrows per end. An awful lot
      of competitions only have you shoot 6 or even 3 arrows per end. If you
      shoot considerably more than than you will not be practicing the same way
      you will be shooting for scores. Not to mention that many arrows in the
      target just increases your chances to get a "Robin Hood" which breaks
      arrows rapidly (said by someone who blew away one of my favorite self
      nocked arrows last night, and I was only shooting 6 at a time).

      Another thing is the high school arrows may well be beaten up. I am not
      trying to get you to spend lots of money, but really poorly matched arrows
      just don't shoot well, and frustrate the shooter. There is no way to get
      any kind to reproducability with lousy arrows.

      > Ragnar, I live in New London Cty.. more specifically
      > Fenbridge (sp?) if I remember correctly. Are you
      > around me?
      >

      > PS - My "V" is not working on my keyboard.

      good luck on the new endeavor.

      Nest

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1