- Ken- I m a complete newbie too, and you asked all the questions I was wondering about! I do own a cheesy fiberglass bow as you put it, since I am just aMessage 1 of 35 , Nov 28, 2001View SourceKen- I'm a complete newbie too, and you asked all the questions I was wondering about! I do own a 'cheesy fiberglass bow' as you put it, since I am just a beginner. But I have one more question that you didn't ask :
I have a huge piece of latigo leather, and some leatherworking tools. I don't know the first thing about quiver making, but boy do I want to give it a try!!! Can someone here give me directions on how to make a quiver, or direct me to where I can find them. Back quiver or belt quiver? Thank you so much....
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:04:40 -0000
Subject: New to SCA and Archery.. need advice & help :0)
1. Long Bow or Composite.. and why?
2. What weight I should go with? Can you use just a cheesy fiberglass
bow like that had in Jr. high school? FYI, Im 5'5" with a 30" draw
lgth if it matters for bow choice.
3. Sources to buy quality bows and accessories (quivers, arrows etc.)
at REASONABLE prices ($200 or less.. much LESS preferred :)
4. Arrows.. something about spine strength? That, I need updating on
5. Typical Archer garb for 1400... ish?.. Do people wear armor
(leather or the like) when shooting?
Thank you very much for yout time and advice!
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- [...] ... When one is practicing the spray n pray method, yes. I need to correct a detail that I mis-typed here. I used to shoot my speed rounds standingMessage 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2001View Source[...]
> position. Please forgive my incredulity, but can you reallyWhen one is practicing the "spray'n'pray" method, yes. I need to correct a
> repeatedly cock, load, aim, and fire a crossbow at a rate of one bolt
> every 2.4 seconds?
detail that I mis-typed here.
I used to shoot my speed rounds standing and drawing from side quiver, where my
speed round was 9 bolts. That was after some warm-up. I now shoot with my
quiver sitting on the ground to my right where my right hand can grab them. Now
I shoot 9 to 13 per round and with more accuracy. The process of bending over
and back up was causing weird blood flow issues to the head, so by the 7th and
8th bolt, I was seeing double (when standing). This issue has gone away with
I shoot standing for 99% of all other situations, although I practice many
stances (sitting, crouching, laying down, standing).
A fast speed round is obtained from repetition and efficiency. Apply The Book
of 5 Rings to archery...reduce any unnecessary movements. In my back yard, I
practice by shooting 12 bolts as quickly as I can.
I do have many witnesses who have seen my machine gun style here in the oaken
region of the midrealm. Robert Thorne's method is more accurate more often, but
I did shoot a 40+ once or twice in practicing speed rounds, so I figure if I
keep at it, I could reach that level every time.
My goal for next year is to reach Ludicrous status by the end of next summer.
My other goal is learn to shoot my new longbow I'll be getting or Xmas.