Archery Masterwork Judging (d) (fwd)

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 1:27 PM
      greetings

      Just posting the AMJ rules for those that are intersted. Your entries are
      judged on craftmanship not paperwork, it is not an A&S competition.

      If you have something you would like to enter and are going to Pennsic,
      show up Wed on the archery range at 4:00 in the marshal's tent for the
      competition.

      The following are the basic rules fdor the Judging, each judging may
      have some variation in their rules.

      Jon

      AECHERY MASTERWORK JUDGING

      The purpose of the Archery Mastework Judging is to recognize
      and encourage the skills of our bowyers and fletchers. It will provide
      an opportunity for them to share these skills and exchange ideas. It is
      not meant to be run as a war point. It may be held at the major interkingdom
      events, such as: Pennsic, Estrella, Gulf Wars, Lilies, etc. Each holding of
      the AMJ is a separate event.

      One of the benefits of the AMJ is that it can provide
      encouragement for the recognition of bowyers and fletchers. Those whose
      skill is consistently recognized by others of their craft to be of the
      highest quality and who also fulfill the other qualities of a peer may be
      recommended to the crown for appropriate recognition.

      The judging will be set up and run by one or several of the
      kingdoms involved in the event and shall rotate between them from year
      to year.

      It was first run at 30YC, for the last two years at Estrella and two
      years ago at Pennsic. Last year I was unable to find anyone in the
      East or Middle willing to run the judging.

      BASIC RULES:

      Basic requirements:

      The entries must be of pre 1600 design. Materials such
      as Port Ordford Cedar, Lemon Wood, etc. which grew in period, but would
      not have been available may be permitted. You may also permit modern
      glues, finishes and string materials to be used. Although greater value
      should be given by the judges for the use of the more period materials.

      At each AMJ the judges in charge may decide to stress certain
      aspects in the judging. The <judges in charge> are those involved in the
      setting up of the judging and are not required to have entries in the
      judging. Whatever the rules and grading scheme are for the judging, they
      must be made available in advance to those that wish to enter. The rules
      must be published well in advance.

      The main categories are bows and arrows. However, entries in
      leather accessories, arrow heads, etc., should be expected. If there are
      entries in these areas, you may obtain the services of craft persons
      skilled in these areas.

      SUGGESTED GUIDE LINES FOR JUDGING

      BOWS:

      You may judge the bows based on: 1) Feel: How well they draw.
      Degree of stacking. Hand shock. etc. Each bow should have at lest six
      arrows which are suitable for shooting in order to test the bow.. 2)
      Construction: How well tillered. Degree of string follow. Following of
      grain on back of bow. Absence of tool marks. Glue joints. Use of period
      techinques, etc. 3) Appearance: Resemblance to actual period bows.
      Finish. Additional details such as: Carved horn nocks, inlay, painting, etc.

      ARROWS:

      You may judge the arrows by: 1) How well matched the set is in a)
      spine. b) Weight. c) Balance. etc. 2) Construction: Shaft of purchased
      dowel or made by hand. Nocks, self or reinforced. Use of period
      techniques. Heads, period or modern and handmade or purchased. Fetching:
      Type of feather and how well cut and aligned. 3) Appearance: Finish,
      cresting, etc. Resemblance to actual period arrows. etc.

      In the case of entries with a set of a bow and arrows, the bow
      and the arrows should be judged separately. But credit may be given for
      making the set.

      JUDGING:

      You need to send out full information on the judging well in
      advance, so that all will know how it will be run and how to enter.

      The judging is done by those entrants present and any others that
      may be picked by those in charge of the judging. These may be: other
      bowyers or fletchers that have not entered, knowledgeable archers,
      workers in leather, wood, metal, etc. Those in charge will decide if
      entrants are to judge entries only in the field they entered or may judge
      in all fields. All judges will have three votes, but may give only one
      vote per entry. Judges will vote on their own entry as well. The winner
      is the entry with the highest score. The judges may decide to pick more
      than one masterpiece, in each craft, if they feel the judging is very
      close. If there are very many entries the judging may be done by
      division e.g.: Longbow, composite, crossbow, etc.

      Suggested guidelines in judging

      A good entry made with period materials, tools and techniques
      should place higher than an excellent, not as period, entry. For
      example: A well made period style ash longbow made with an axe and a
      float, would place higher than an excellent fiberglass and wood period
      style longbow. Of two equally well made and period entries, the one with
      better documentation would place higher.

      The entries should be put on display for as long as possible
      before the judging so that all interested archers and others, will have a
      chance to view them. All entries should have a sheet with information on
      its construction (detailed Arts and Science documentation is not
      required, but may improve the score of the entry). If the maker is not
      present, a more detailed sheet will be required. Stress on the
      documentation aspects of an entry should be held to a minimum.

      The judges running the AMJ may also encourage the including of an
      how to article on how to make that entry, this should be separate from
      the scoring. The idea behind this is to include the best articles in a
      future bowyers and fletchers, etc . handbook, similar to the <The Best of
      the Hammer>.

      No entry that has won before may be entered a second time at any
      AMJ judging.

      You should encourage the entrants present to share their
      knowledge. This can be done by teaching a class or at least
      participating in an open panel discussion of their craft for the benefit
      of those interested in learning more about it.

      The judging should be public, so that all interested in such
      crafts may learn and improve their own skills. The judges should proceed
      through the entries one by one. The maker of the entry should briefly
      explain their entry and answer any questions from the judges. The judges
      should make constructive comments and encourage discussion when
      appropriate. For those entries where the maker is not at the event,
      having sent their entry in, the judges should leave written comments for
      the maker.

      The running of the AMJ should rotate between the kingdoms involved
      in the major event from year to year. Those in charge shall see that a
      report is written up with information on the event and how it was run,
      what worked well and what did not and who won(with information on their
      entry). This will be sent to those running AMJ at other events and to
      the Society Archery Marshal. This will give them the benefit of what was
      learned in order to improve future judgings. The Society Archery Marshal
      will see that the names of the winners and information on their entries
      are sent to the kingdom newsletters.

      The above is intended to provide a basic guideline for the AMJ
      so that the judging at the different events will have the same set of
      ground rules. However the judges in charge may experiment to learn what
      works best and share this information, so that the judging may evolve and
      improve.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, Society Archery Marshal

      John R. Edgerton
      7662 Wells Ave
      Newark, Calif 94560-3530
      (510) 791-9070
      sirjon@...

      ***********************************
    • James Stuart Koch
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 2:30 PM
        >AECHERY MASTERWORK JUDGING
        >

        >It was first run at 30YC, for the last two years at Estrella and two
        >years ago at Pennsic. Last year I was unable to find anyone in the
        >East or Middle willing to run the judging.

        If I understand the above correctly, the judging at last year's Pennsic was
        not an AMJ. If this is true, I'd like to enter two of the three crossbows
        I brought last year in this year's judging. Please enlighten me. I
        realize that last year there were only four entries and three of them were
        mine. Was the judging cancelled for lack of interest? Perhaps I was
        simply not told.

        Jim Koch
      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 6:22 PM
          On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, James Stuart Koch wrote:

          > From: James Stuart Koch <alchem@...>
          >
          > >AECHERY MASTERWORK JUDGING
          > >

          > >It was first run at 30YC, for the last two years at Estrella and two
          > >years ago at Pennsic. Last year I was unable to find anyone in the
          > >East or Middle willing to run the judging.

          That was an error on my part. It was not run two years ago at Pennsic. It
          was run last year and two years before.Need more cofee.:-(

          > If I understand the above correctly, the judging at last year's Pennsic was
          > not an AMJ. If this is true, I'd like to enter two of the three crossbows
          > I brought last year in this year's judging. Please enlighten me. I
          > realize that last year there were only four entries and three of them were
          > mine. Was the judging cancelled for lack of interest? Perhaps I was
          > simply not told.

          I hope that in the furture there will be more notice and information
          given out about the event so that thsoe interested will be able to enter.

          Jon