[SCA-Archery] RE: Width of stock at crossbow nut

  • alberic
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2001
      >I would think it would depend on how the nut is mounted, where the force of
      >the pod is being felt. If the nut is mounted on a shaft, and not in
      >contact with the front of the socket, then force of the pod in on this
      >shaft so the side plates of the crossbow would need to be thicker to handle
      >the force. If the nut is contacting the front of the socket, essentially
      >using it for a bearing surface, then there is virtually no force on any
      >shaft which would be there only as a retaining rod to keep the nut in the
      >socket and the side plates could be thinner.
      >
      >Marcus von Gallen
      >COA, Scorpions Hollow

      Greetings:

      Period x-bows didn't use shafted nuts. They used the fore surface of
      the nut socket as a bearing, thus spreading the load around, instead
      of concentrating it as shafted nuts do. As far as thickness goes,
      you can indeed do just exactly what the original poster suggested,
      and just drill through, and add metal side plates. Many SCA
      crossbows are done exactly this way.

      Speaking as someone who's done the "forstner bit-then plug" routine,
      please remember to turn your plug out of the thickness of a board, so
      that the grain runs across the plug, rather than down its
      cylindrical axis. (It'll match better that way, both in looks, and
      (more importantly) in the direction it expands with moisture.)

      I usually make my bows very curvey and thicker at the lock, but
      that's more a style issue: I *like* curvey bows, and it's a great way
      to show off the fact that they weren't made from 2x4's.
      My surmise is that the period bows that were so much thicker at the
      lock were done this way for several reasons. (A) the curve makes a
      pretty good hand rest. (B) style & (C) to provide support for the
      spanning device, which typically had bearings out beyond the lock,
      and therefore all the load had to transfer through that area. Thus
      it needed to be beefy enough to support the frequently *serious*
      loads.

      FWIW
      Alberic.
      --
      ---
      The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2001
        > Speaking as someone who's done the "forstner
        > bit-then plug" routine,
        > please remember to turn your plug out of the
        > thickness of a board, so
        > that the grain runs across the plug, rather than
        > down its
        > cylindrical axis. (It'll match better that way,
        > both in looks, and
        > (more importantly) in the direction it expands with
        > moisture.)

        What I do, is to drill through with a forstner bit and
        then inlet around the hole to about a 1/4" depth. I
        then inly a piece of contrasting wood to create a
        decorative side plate. This produces a very pretty and
        stable socket area. I learned this procedure by
        looking at Master Iolos bows.

        Njall

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1