Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 775

  • agincort@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2001
      > Subject: Re: Crossbow bolts . . .
      >
      >Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length?
      >
      >> I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around
      14"-16"
      >> in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
      >> 'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts.
      >> Siegfried

      I observed Knut use 20" plus bolts some years ago, with good results, so
      when I began shooting a crossbow, I had bolts made a little longer than a
      hay bale is wide, about 22", 5/16 dia, three fletch, by Graybar. I get
      good stability, and don't lose any in the bales, either. I find that my
      120 lb crossbow does fine with them. (You can't count on saunders mats
      for target backing out here, at events.)
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Well done is better than well said"