Novelty Shoots at Pennsic

  • Storm Dragon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
      Do novelty shoots have to be approved by the
      Crowns to get on the schedule? Can any marshal
      design and run a shoot for Pennsic and if so, who
      compiles the "official" schedules?

      Some of the period shoots (Pop-in-Jay, Wand
      Shooting or Garland Shooting) all look like great
      fun if billed correctly but as someone mentioned,
      some archers like to actually "practice" for such
      things. And it was difficult to know when such
      opportunities were available (and I was camped
      overlooking the range! God forbid if I had to
      travel out from "town"!)

      If they use the same hill setting as XXX, you
      could make schedules of blocks (clout for this
      hour, Garland shoot for this hour, Novelty #1
      this hour, back to clout, garland, Novelty #2,
      etc so that people know what is available. And
      yes, some of the fighters, archers, nobility,
      heralds, etc etc etc will have different
      commitments at different times so they will be
      unable to do it all... but
      that is going to happen.

      I am still a fledgeling so my scores may not
      reflect the wisdom of the Masters here on this
      list; please do not take my words as criticism -
      you guys/gals are amazing in your skills and for
      a first timer on the range, I felt safe,
      informed, and moreso comfortable having my then 7
      year old son shooting amongst "professionals".

      But to have a rotation of shoots in succession
      (not by an hour or so block at least) makes it
      VERY hard to practice and adjust. The Masters
      can do that easy (hence the title) but for the
      fledgling archer and marksman, I needed practice,
      practice and more practice ON THE SAME TARGET so
      I could learn. PLEASE do not make the shoots
      scattered and give archers time to learn one
      topic before they have to tackle another.

      Onn a side note, the kids archery range was
      AMAZING and my son to this day still talks about
      his experiences, the care, the thrill, and the
      rewards. They are the archers of tomorrow and I
      will, as a marshal, definitely be trying to help
      there next year as well. The spirits working
      there were blessed and I wish to thank them all.
      Thank you!

      In service to the Crown,

      Tobyn Kembold, Bridge

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2001
        My Lord,
        This is the purpose of this list; the exchange of information, opinions,
        and support of the archery community. Scores alone to not make Masters
        wise. We have a broad range of backgrounds here, and no one would deem
        to take your comments as other than constructive for the advancement of
        our sport. I is important to hear from those who are new to shooting as
        it is possible to forget how they feel after we have been shooting and
        running shoots for many years. For this reason I actively seek out the
        new and mid-range shooters in my area and try to continually design
        competitions which are challenging for the masters and competitive for
        them as well. It does sometimes get me flak from some of the masters who
        think I am biasing the shoots against them but, if they truly deserve
        that rank, they should be able to rise to the occasion.
        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 05:41:22 -0800 (PST) Storm Dragon
        <storm71097@...> writes:
        >snip<

        >I am still a fledgeling so my scores may not
        >reflect the wisdom of the Masters here on this
        >list; please do not take my words as criticism -
        >you guys/gals are amazing in your skills and for
        >a first timer on the range, I felt safe,
        >informed, and moreso comfortable having my then 7
        >year old son shooting amongst "professionals".
        >
        >snip<
        >
        >In service to the Crown,
        >
        >Tobyn Kembold, Bridge

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!