Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Jack Bradley
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
      So I'll through in my 2 cents
      11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
      I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
      So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
      track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
      wood
      Ragnar two axe

      Patrick Tolen wrote:

      > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
      > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
      > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
      > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
      > encouraging!
      >
      > L. Patrick of Avebury
      > Calafia
      > CAID
      >
      > -- Pat
      >
      > Space/Time Art
      > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
      > http://www.spacetimeart.com

    • James Pratt
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
        For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
        with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
        accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
        tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
        that works.

        James Cunningham

      • banzhof@dnaco.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
          I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
          cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
          with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
          shooting.

          Alan of Caerlaverock