Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • AMENSEYA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
      Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
      a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
      Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
      bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
      My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

      I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
      made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
      This way I have perfect end caps.

      --o-- __I__ __V__
      Two Three Four

      Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

      "Che Guardare il Guardia"

    • Jack Bradley
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
        So I'll through in my 2 cents
        11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
        I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
        So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
        track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
        wood
        Ragnar two axe

        Patrick Tolen wrote:

        > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
        > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
        > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
        > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
        > encouraging!
        >
        > L. Patrick of Avebury
        > Calafia
        > CAID
        >
        > -- Pat
        >
        > Space/Time Art
        > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
        > http://www.spacetimeart.com

      • James Pratt
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
          For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
          with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
          accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
          tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
          that works.

          James Cunningham

        • banzhof@dnaco.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
            I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
            cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
            with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
            shooting.

            Alan of Caerlaverock