Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Archery

  • Carl West at home
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
      alberic wrote:

      > >... I'm still interested in running an armor
      > >piercing shoot, ...
      > >- Frydherik who loads his bow funny

      > I'd be interested in an AP shoot, especially after I get the big boy done.
      > Be interesting to see just exactly what effect all those extra pounds have.
      >
      > Cheers-
      > Alberic
      >
      > PS--
      > Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
      > square, by 36" long)
      > Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.

      'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
      I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
      Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.

      Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...

      --Fritz
    • alberic
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
        >alberic wrote:
        >>
        ><snip>
        > >
        >> PS--
        >> Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
        >> square, by 36" long)
        >> Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.
        >
        >'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
        >I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
        >Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off
        >the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.
        >
        >Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...
        >
        >--Fritz

        Fritz:

        The "big boy" is the thousand pounder I've been muttering about for
        years. Finally under way.
        The 3" beech is for the tiller, not the prod. I just like the more
        "curvy" styles of tiller, rather than the slabsided ones. For this,
        you need large timbers. (If I were ever going to glue up a blank,
        the stock of a 1000# crossbow would not be the time.)
        As far as killing targets...I've always wondered what my tungsten AP
        heads would do to a steel faced target...
        Actually, if you let the crossbow types know far enough ahead that
        they can make up some truly medieval style AP bolts, rather than the
        thistledown they normally throw, you could get some interesting
        examples of *why* heavy crossbows were so dangerous.

        So...anybody know where to find Beech that big? I really want to
        stay with Beech, if it's at all possible.

        Cheers-
        Alberic
        --
        ---
        The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
          I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
          the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
          afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
          reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
          compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.

          I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
          the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
          the week, this would save me alot of money.

          -Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
          ever
        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
            Actually, looks like you've got a bit of a conflicting interest there.

            If you are going to be shooting in the Champions shoot, it is usually
            Monday or Tuesday of the 2nd week of war. NOT near the end of the week.

            But anyway, your information about Pennsic costs is slightly skewed. What
            in fact happens is that if you arrive the Friday of the 1st week, or any
            time later, you pay a set fee. No matter what day during that you arrive,
            and what day you leave. So someone spending the whole last week costs the
            same as someone spending just the last Friday/Saturday.

            If, however, you arrive BEFORE the Friday of the 1st week, there is an
            additional '1st week fee'. Traditionally $20 ...

            Siegfried

            At 08:47 AM 11/9/2001 -0500, cwilson@... wrote:

            >I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
            >the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
            >afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
            >reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
            >compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.
            >
            >I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
            >the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
            >the week, this would save me alot of money.
            >
            >-Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
            >ever

            Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
          • Block, Alan W
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
              The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might have it.
              Main st. North of McArthur.

            • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                have it.
                > Main st. North of McArthur.

                I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                Austin Hardwoods Inc
                2533 S Main St
                Santa Ana, CA 92707
                (714) 641-2833

                Taillear
              • Block, Alan W
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                  They are very easy to work with and will sell you the amount of board you
                  want as long as it leaves them with enough left over. They have small
                  amounts of yew not suitable for bows and lots of figured maple in every size
                  immaginable.
                  Alan Block

                  --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                  > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                  have it.
                  > Main st. North of McArthur.

                  I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                  data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                  Austin Hardwoods Inc
                  2533 S Main St
                  Santa Ana, CA 92707
                  (714) 641-2833

                  Taillear

                  Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                • Susan Kell
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 10, 2001
                    Greetings -

                    I have one plea concerning this thread -- please bring your issues and
                    concerns to the people who can do something about it. We can discuss this
                    topic to death here and probably will, but this group does not make the
                    decisions -- nor should any e-mail list. Pennsic Archery negotiations,
                    planning, war shoots, range location, etc. are in the hands of the
                    respective archery officers and royalty of the East and Middle. It's fine
                    to bounce your ideas off others here on the list, but please share your
                    suggestions and concerns with the people who are in charge. For the East
                    Kingdom, the folks involved in planning archery at next Pennsic would be
                    Mistress Caitlin fitz Henry (who will be our Captain General of Archers
                    after 12th Night) and Darius and Roxana, our new Prince and Princess.

                    Just my two farthings,
                    Ygraine

                    (Mistress Ygraine of Kellswood, East Kingdom Archery Scorekeeper)
                  • garethorne@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                      I have been sitting here reading what everyone else has to say about the
                      archery at Pennsic and decided that it was time I threw my two cents in.
                      I think what everyone is basically saying is that once war points start,
                      the practice range needs to stay open for those of us that want to shoot
                      more than just war point. Personally, I don't see that happening unless
                      the design of the range is changed for Cooper's create more parking lots.
                      The attendance did not decrease after Pennsic 25 and I don't foresee it
                      dropping after XXX.
                      The half day or reduced days are both good ideas. The poll in my family
                      is 2 to 1 in favor of just two days of war points. I'd like to throw out
                      a couple of other ideas for discussion.

                      Idea #1: Reduce the number of shooting gates for each of the targets.
                      This would mean taking away one side of the advancing man. Less gates for
                      the clout and one less target for the slot shoot. This should give the
                      practice range more room and thus allow it to stay open.

                      Idea #2: When the range is not busy, allow one target on each range to
                      be used by those who have already shot their war point. The way it is
                      now, after you have shot your war point, the range is closed to you
                      except for before or after hours. The archer would inform the Line
                      Marshal that he/she has already shot the war point but would like to
                      shoot again for no score. They would be allowed on the clout only by
                      themselves.

                      Gareth Thorne
                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • garethorne@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                        Well, I am not a regular member of this archery site but as the topic has
                        been brought up at home and we have had many
                        discussions on the day of war points etc. I thought I would share my
                        viewpoint.

                        Pennsic is a time for families and friends to get together. We also have
                        a "real" life out there that allows most of us to play the game.
                        Families with children or teachers, as I am, do not really want to have
                        the tournaments toward the end of war week.
                        For the past three years, I have had to start teaching on the Monday
                        following Pennsic. Our colleges here in central Illinois also have
                        started on that day. I know of others who have had to leave early in
                        order to get back so the kids were ready for school. Even though it
                        might be the first day, they need to have a good rest before they go to
                        school.

                        Those who travel farther, from other kingdoms especially, might need to
                        start home by Thursday or Friday in order to get home for work or school.
                        If someone has taken 2 weeks vacation, that includes travel time and
                        needs to be addressed too.

                        If you have two full days of war point or several half days, they should
                        not be at the end of war. Also, many people never get
                        to hear how the archery war points for the populace end up because they
                        go clear to the last minute after many have started home. It might be
                        worth it to have them earlier just to see if there is more participation.
                        Some people don't shoot because they already know which side has won and
                        wonder - what's the use. We need to do something to keep the archers
                        interested. Most of the grumbles that I have heard since Pennsic XXX
                        were the lack of novelties. That keeps the archers continuing to come
                        and stay interested. Once the novelties were stopped and the war points
                        started- what is to keep you coming back if you have already shot your
                        war point? Another good side to this would be, that if marshals are out
                        there shooting novelties and see the need for a marshal, I would think
                        they would be more inclined to stay and help as they are already out
                        there.

                        Well, I guess I am done rambling but these are some things to think about
                        if changes are going to be made.

                        Elayne Thorne
                        Middle Kingdom archery and thrown weapons marshal

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      • Bruce R. Gordon
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                          Greetings
                          Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                          for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                          the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                          Monday). It's located at...

                          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                          If you are of an Arts-'n-Sciences disposition as well as an
                          archer, please be sure to visit the link off of that to the Archery
                          Masterworks Competition page.

                          Cordially;
                          Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG
                          --
                          Ex Tenebra, Lux

                        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                            At 02:13 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                            > Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                            >for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                            >the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                            >Monday). It's located at...
                            >
                            >http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                            Greetings Nigel ...

                            Don't guess we could get that changed to Monday anyway huh? *grin* The
                            Champion shoot is ALWAYS put on the same day as a combat archery battle
                            *sigh* ... bad planning in my book. (And it's a fort battle too!)

                            BTW, just a few comments about the rules as I read them ... mostly on the
                            'fun comments' side of the house:

                            >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year

                            I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this
                            'one man' happens to have MANY bows he brings to Pennsic ... but all of
                            those bows, get used by this 'one man' ...

                            Written as one-man, one-bow, sounds like each person can only use one bow :)

                            Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                            only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                            relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                            >crossbows must have wooden stocks.

                            Is that a new one this year? I don't remember that one, and I know I've
                            seen barnett's out there in the past.

                            >Ammunition must be made of wooden shafts mounted by target points

                            Just a note of 'bad wording'. in modern times, 'target points' are a
                            specific type of point with a cone shaped head. The way this is phrased,
                            it would officially disallow 'field points' which are the #1 most common
                            point in the SCA, as well as things such as 'modbods' (modified short
                            bodkins to not harm targets), bullet points, the cool whistling points, etc.

                            >Distances in the Woodswalk and the Unknown long range may be discussed
                            >within participant teams.

                            Just pasting this here for all to see :) Different from years past I see
                            ... That will make for an interesting change of pace.

                            In Service,
                            Siegfried

                            THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                          • Bruce R. Gordon
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                              Greetings
                              Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                              No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...
                              Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                              named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                              one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                              about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...
                              I know that Barnetts are used, I inspect most of them <shrug> What
                              can I tell ya, the rule was copied from last years edition, but I think
                              the "spirit of Mediaeval archery" comment will allow for Barnetts. Just
                              barely. I agre the rule should probably be clarified or rewritten.
                              And...
                              Fine, fine, field points etc. are allowed too. As they always have
                              been. And...
                              Yeah, discussing distances will make for a change. Just as long as
                              everybody is aware of it. And, handbowmen? Take a range estimate from a
                              crossbowman with a few grains of salt, eh?

                              Nigel

                              _

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              --
                              Ex Tenebra, Lux

                            • Sam Cohen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                doing set up?

                                Demetrious

                              • Bruce R. Gordon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                  Greetings
                                  My intention at this time is to show up on Saturday the 2nd. First
                                  thing I do is register at troll. Second thing I do is set up my tent.
                                  Third thing I do is get up the hill. Fourth thing I do is open the
                                  trailer. Fifth thing I do is look around and say, "Demetrious, find out
                                  where everyone in the work crew has wandered off to..."

                                  ...the eleven thousand nine hundred and forty eighth thing I do is lock
                                  the trailer, get back in my car, and drive home.

                                  Nigel

                                  > Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                  > doing set up?
                                  >
                                  > Demetrious

                                • Bob Upson
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                    On 20 Jun 2003 at 14:32, Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                                    > >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year
                                    >
                                    > I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this

                                    Or, clearer yet, "Each person attending the War may shoot each War
                                    Point only once. Each bow brought to War may be used only once to
                                    shoot each War Point. Bows may not be shared between archers for the
                                    same War Point except in the case of equipment failures as approved
                                    by the Archery Marshallate."

                                    > Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                                    > only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                                    > relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                                    I should hope so. Pennsic is just too good an opportunity to try
                                    different equipment on the practice range. =)

                                    YIS,
                                    Macsen
                                  • Bob Upson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                      On 20 Jun 2003 at 15:02, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

                                      > Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                                      > named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                                      > one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                                      > about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...

                                      To the best of my recollection, the rule has never been applied to
                                      prevent one person from shooting different bows on different War
                                      Points. They just mean that each "man" and each "bow" only get to
                                      shoot each War Point once. You can mix and match "men" and "bows"
                                      all you want so long as each of the pair never shoots the same War
                                      Point more than once.

                                      I was always told that "one man, one bow" was intended to represent
                                      that the massed War Points simulate one battle each. At each battle,
                                      there are just so many people with bows shooting so the number of
                                      bows available sets the limit on how many people are actually
                                      participating in the battle. For convenience and safety, we actually
                                      conduct each of these battles over several days using several lines
                                      but the intent is to approximate each one happening all at once --
                                      and that precludes passing a bow around.

                                      YIS,
                                      Macsen
                                    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                        Well Nigel & Demetrious ... when looking for the work crew ... don't forget
                                        to wander your way up Count Jehann's Bounty ... through Block N22 ... where
                                        I'm sure members of House Crossbow, House Longbow, and Highland Foorde will
                                        be willing again to lend a hand.

                                        Siegfried
                                        - At least I can say that one member of Highland Foorde will *grin*

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                          At 03:02 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                                          >Greetings
                                          > Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                                          Just doing my job ... It's in my position description *grin*

                                          > No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...

                                          I'm assuming you meant no, it CAN'T ... and therefore am holding my
                                          'jumping for joy' back ...

                                          Siegfried
                                          Archer
                                          Brewer
                                          Fighter
                                          Official Kvetch'er of all SCA Rulesets

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                            Greetings
                                            Substantially correct - there is nothing in the rules to say that
                                            one person cannot use many different bows, just that one cannot pass
                                            around a bow to various different users.
                                            It may at one time have been presented as an authenticity issue,
                                            but nowadays its adherents are representing it as a safety issue.

                                            Nigel

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                              Greetings
                                              <sigh> Down boy... Down!
                                              "Can't". I meant "can't". As in "No, it's gonna be Tuesday".
                                              Hey, stop looking at me like that... Someone, where's Sebastians
                                              leash.? Down, get d... Help!

                                              Nigel

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                Greetings
                                                Depends on the tourney. Either myself or my deputy for Novelty
                                                Shoots (Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - agincort@...) could help with
                                                that sort of thing.

                                                Cordially;

                                                Nigel

                                                > M'lord - who could I speak to about offering items for tourney prizes?
                                                >
                                                > Ascellina Bethell

                                              • sharonshrdr
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 13, 2007
                                                    I got this off another list.

                                                    If your interested, get in touch.

                                                    Gwilym

                                                    Pennsic Archery
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-SocietyArcherMarshal/message/60;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdDdkYzNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4NjY0OTYzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc2NzUwMwRtc2dJZAM2MARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTc2MjAxNjg3>

                                                    Posted by: "Dan Inman" tarquinred@...
                                                    <mailto:tarquinred@...?Subject=%20Re%3APennsic%20Archery>
                                                    tarquinritter <http://profiles.yahoo.com/tarquinritter>

                                                    Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:51 pm (PST)

                                                    Greetings, All

                                                    My lady is coordinating novelty shoots for Pennsic this year and she is
                                                    looking for volunteers. Could each of you spread the word that we need
                                                    novelties for the first week of Pennsic. This is the information she needs:

                                                    SCA Name

                                                    Kingdom

                                                    Name of Shoot

                                                    Description

                                                    Which range needed? (clout, practice range, advancing man range, slot range)

                                                    Age groups (adult only, adult and youth)

                                                    Days / times preferred

                                                    Please note that we can schedule some novelties during the second week, but
                                                    with the following limitations:

                                                    Between 9 am and 6 pm - only the Practice Range

                                                    After 6 pm - Clout Range or Practice Range

                                                    No novelties after Thursday

                                                    Also, if anyone is interested in teaching a class, it is recommended that
                                                    you register it through the A&S Class Officer (see Pennsic site) and state
                                                    that you want it held on the archery range. Then copy Countess Aibhilin so
                                                    she can add it to the range schedule. Our goal is to be able to publish a
                                                    detailed schedule before War so people will know what's happening on the
                                                    range before trudging up the hill.

                                                    Aibhilin's email address is aibhilin@...
                                                    <mailto:aibhilin%40sbcglobal.net>

                                                    Please spread the word. We're hoping to get some good ones in.

                                                    In Service,

                                                    Tarquin

                                                    archerymarshal@... <mailto:archerymarshal%40midrealm.org>

                                                    archergen@... <mailto:archergen%40midrealm.org>

                                                    www.midrealm.
                                                    org/marshal/archery

                                                  • Jennie Fernandez
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 13, 2007
                                                      I wish I could, our generator broke and we need to
                                                      upgrade the solar. We don't adequate power right now.
                                                      I don't think I'll be able to attend this year. I 've
                                                      never been, I would really like to go someday.
                                                      Arianna

                                                      http://mail.yahoo.com