Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Archery

  • Carl West at home
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
      John J Anderson wrote:
      > I would present to the lists the suggestion that ... war point shooting be reduced to perhaps half a day for each of the days war points are currently shot, alternating between morning and afternoon sessions.... varying the war point shoots...a number of shoots...could be designed ... and each Pennsic use a different combination of the three current and whatever additional shoots might be created...

      Ragnar, you know this I'm sure, but to make it clear to all...

      The Pensic warpoints are negotiated well ahead of time by the Crowns of the East and the Middle (with advice from their various Officers and others). If we want to make a change like this we all need to petition our current Crown Princes, Archers General and those who advise them. The negotiations will begin very soon, I expect.

      > Finally a possible way to revive interest in archery in general and
      > specifically at Pennsic might be a stronger push for assorted novelty
      > shoots, and the scheduling of a significant number of them early enough
      > before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.

      That would be cool. I'm still interested in running an armor piercing shoot, I floated the idea a year or so ago and got only one response of any sort so I let it lie (and then work sucked up my life) but I'm willing to pursue the idea again. If there's interest.

      - Frydherik who loads his bow funny

      --
      Carl West eisen@...
      http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

      "Everyone generalizes from a single case. I do it."
      - Vlad Taltos in _Issola_ by Steven Brust
    • alberic
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
        >John J Anderson wrote:
        > > before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.
        >
        >That would be cool. I'm still interested in running an armor
        >piercing shoot, I floated the idea a year or so ago and got only one
        >response of any sort so I let it lie (and then work sucked up my
        >life) but I'm willing to pursue the idea again. If there's interest.
        >
        >- Frydherik who loads his bow funny
        >

        >--
        >Carl West eisen@...
        >http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

        Carl:

        I'd be interested in an AP shoot, especially after I get the big boy done.
        Be interesting to see just exactly what effect all those extra pounds have.

        Cheers-
        Alberic

        PS--
        Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
        square, by 36" long)
        Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.

        --
        ---
        The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
          alberic wrote:

          > >... I'm still interested in running an armor
          > >piercing shoot, ...
          > >- Frydherik who loads his bow funny

          > I'd be interested in an AP shoot, especially after I get the big boy done.
          > Be interesting to see just exactly what effect all those extra pounds have.
          >
          > Cheers-
          > Alberic
          >
          > PS--
          > Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
          > square, by 36" long)
          > Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.

          'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
          I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
          Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.

          Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...

          --Fritz
        • alberic
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
            >alberic wrote:
            >>
            ><snip>
            > >
            >> PS--
            >> Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
            >> square, by 36" long)
            >> Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.
            >
            >'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
            >I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
            >Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off
            >the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.
            >
            >Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...
            >
            >--Fritz

            Fritz:

            The "big boy" is the thousand pounder I've been muttering about for
            years. Finally under way.
            The 3" beech is for the tiller, not the prod. I just like the more
            "curvy" styles of tiller, rather than the slabsided ones. For this,
            you need large timbers. (If I were ever going to glue up a blank,
            the stock of a 1000# crossbow would not be the time.)
            As far as killing targets...I've always wondered what my tungsten AP
            heads would do to a steel faced target...
            Actually, if you let the crossbow types know far enough ahead that
            they can make up some truly medieval style AP bolts, rather than the
            thistledown they normally throw, you could get some interesting
            examples of *why* heavy crossbows were so dangerous.

            So...anybody know where to find Beech that big? I really want to
            stay with Beech, if it's at all possible.

            Cheers-
            Alberic
            --
            ---
          • cwilson@mhmh.org
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
              I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
              the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
              afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
              reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
              compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.

              I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
              the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
              the week, this would save me alot of money.

              -Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
              ever
            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                Actually, looks like you've got a bit of a conflicting interest there.

                If you are going to be shooting in the Champions shoot, it is usually
                Monday or Tuesday of the 2nd week of war. NOT near the end of the week.

                But anyway, your information about Pennsic costs is slightly skewed. What
                in fact happens is that if you arrive the Friday of the 1st week, or any
                time later, you pay a set fee. No matter what day during that you arrive,
                and what day you leave. So someone spending the whole last week costs the
                same as someone spending just the last Friday/Saturday.

                If, however, you arrive BEFORE the Friday of the 1st week, there is an
                additional '1st week fee'. Traditionally $20 ...

                Siegfried

                At 08:47 AM 11/9/2001 -0500, cwilson@... wrote:

                >I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
                >the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
                >afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
                >reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
                >compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.
                >
                >I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
                >the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
                >the week, this would save me alot of money.
                >
                >-Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
                >ever

                Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
              • Block, Alan W
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                  The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might have it.
                  Main st. North of McArthur.

                • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                    --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                    > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                    have it.
                    > Main st. North of McArthur.

                    I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                    data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                    Austin Hardwoods Inc
                    2533 S Main St
                    Santa Ana, CA 92707
                    (714) 641-2833

                    Taillear
                  • Block, Alan W
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                      They are very easy to work with and will sell you the amount of board you
                      want as long as it leaves them with enough left over. They have small
                      amounts of yew not suitable for bows and lots of figured maple in every size
                      immaginable.
                      Alan Block

                      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                      > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                      have it.
                      > Main st. North of McArthur.

                      I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                      data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                      Austin Hardwoods Inc
                      2533 S Main St
                      Santa Ana, CA 92707
                      (714) 641-2833

                      Taillear

                      Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                    • Susan Kell
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 10, 2001
                        Greetings -

                        I have one plea concerning this thread -- please bring your issues and
                        concerns to the people who can do something about it. We can discuss this
                        topic to death here and probably will, but this group does not make the
                        decisions -- nor should any e-mail list. Pennsic Archery negotiations,
                        planning, war shoots, range location, etc. are in the hands of the
                        respective archery officers and royalty of the East and Middle. It's fine
                        to bounce your ideas off others here on the list, but please share your
                        suggestions and concerns with the people who are in charge. For the East
                        Kingdom, the folks involved in planning archery at next Pennsic would be
                        Mistress Caitlin fitz Henry (who will be our Captain General of Archers
                        after 12th Night) and Darius and Roxana, our new Prince and Princess.

                        Just my two farthings,
                        Ygraine

                        (Mistress Ygraine of Kellswood, East Kingdom Archery Scorekeeper)
                      • garethorne@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                          I have been sitting here reading what everyone else has to say about the
                          archery at Pennsic and decided that it was time I threw my two cents in.
                          I think what everyone is basically saying is that once war points start,
                          the practice range needs to stay open for those of us that want to shoot
                          more than just war point. Personally, I don't see that happening unless
                          the design of the range is changed for Cooper's create more parking lots.
                          The attendance did not decrease after Pennsic 25 and I don't foresee it
                          dropping after XXX.
                          The half day or reduced days are both good ideas. The poll in my family
                          is 2 to 1 in favor of just two days of war points. I'd like to throw out
                          a couple of other ideas for discussion.

                          Idea #1: Reduce the number of shooting gates for each of the targets.
                          This would mean taking away one side of the advancing man. Less gates for
                          the clout and one less target for the slot shoot. This should give the
                          practice range more room and thus allow it to stay open.

                          Idea #2: When the range is not busy, allow one target on each range to
                          be used by those who have already shot their war point. The way it is
                          now, after you have shot your war point, the range is closed to you
                          except for before or after hours. The archer would inform the Line
                          Marshal that he/she has already shot the war point but would like to
                          shoot again for no score. They would be allowed on the clout only by
                          themselves.

                          Gareth Thorne
                          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                        • garethorne@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                            Well, I am not a regular member of this archery site but as the topic has
                            been brought up at home and we have had many
                            discussions on the day of war points etc. I thought I would share my
                            viewpoint.

                            Pennsic is a time for families and friends to get together. We also have
                            a "real" life out there that allows most of us to play the game.
                            Families with children or teachers, as I am, do not really want to have
                            the tournaments toward the end of war week.
                            For the past three years, I have had to start teaching on the Monday
                            following Pennsic. Our colleges here in central Illinois also have
                            started on that day. I know of others who have had to leave early in
                            order to get back so the kids were ready for school. Even though it
                            might be the first day, they need to have a good rest before they go to
                            school.

                            Those who travel farther, from other kingdoms especially, might need to
                            start home by Thursday or Friday in order to get home for work or school.
                            If someone has taken 2 weeks vacation, that includes travel time and
                            needs to be addressed too.

                            If you have two full days of war point or several half days, they should
                            not be at the end of war. Also, many people never get
                            to hear how the archery war points for the populace end up because they
                            go clear to the last minute after many have started home. It might be
                            worth it to have them earlier just to see if there is more participation.
                            Some people don't shoot because they already know which side has won and
                            wonder - what's the use. We need to do something to keep the archers
                            interested. Most of the grumbles that I have heard since Pennsic XXX
                            were the lack of novelties. That keeps the archers continuing to come
                            and stay interested. Once the novelties were stopped and the war points
                            started- what is to keep you coming back if you have already shot your
                            war point? Another good side to this would be, that if marshals are out
                            there shooting novelties and see the need for a marshal, I would think
                            they would be more inclined to stay and help as they are already out
                            there.

                            Well, I guess I am done rambling but these are some things to think about
                            if changes are going to be made.

                            Elayne Thorne
                            Middle Kingdom archery and thrown weapons marshal

                            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                          • Bruce R. Gordon
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                              Greetings
                              Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                              for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                              the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                              Monday). It's located at...

                              http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                              If you are of an Arts-'n-Sciences disposition as well as an
                              archer, please be sure to visit the link off of that to the Archery
                              Masterworks Competition page.

                              Cordially;
                              Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG
                              --
                              Ex Tenebra, Lux

                            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                At 02:13 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                                > Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                                >for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                                >the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                                >Monday). It's located at...
                                >
                                >http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                                Greetings Nigel ...

                                Don't guess we could get that changed to Monday anyway huh? *grin* The
                                Champion shoot is ALWAYS put on the same day as a combat archery battle
                                *sigh* ... bad planning in my book. (And it's a fort battle too!)

                                BTW, just a few comments about the rules as I read them ... mostly on the
                                'fun comments' side of the house:

                                >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year

                                I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this
                                'one man' happens to have MANY bows he brings to Pennsic ... but all of
                                those bows, get used by this 'one man' ...

                                Written as one-man, one-bow, sounds like each person can only use one bow :)

                                Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                                only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                                relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                                >crossbows must have wooden stocks.

                                Is that a new one this year? I don't remember that one, and I know I've
                                seen barnett's out there in the past.

                                >Ammunition must be made of wooden shafts mounted by target points

                                Just a note of 'bad wording'. in modern times, 'target points' are a
                                specific type of point with a cone shaped head. The way this is phrased,
                                it would officially disallow 'field points' which are the #1 most common
                                point in the SCA, as well as things such as 'modbods' (modified short
                                bodkins to not harm targets), bullet points, the cool whistling points, etc.

                                >Distances in the Woodswalk and the Unknown long range may be discussed
                                >within participant teams.

                                Just pasting this here for all to see :) Different from years past I see
                                ... That will make for an interesting change of pace.

                                In Service,
                                Siegfried

                                THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                              • Bruce R. Gordon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                  Greetings
                                  Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                                  No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...
                                  Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                                  named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                                  one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                                  about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...
                                  I know that Barnetts are used, I inspect most of them <shrug> What
                                  can I tell ya, the rule was copied from last years edition, but I think
                                  the "spirit of Mediaeval archery" comment will allow for Barnetts. Just
                                  barely. I agre the rule should probably be clarified or rewritten.
                                  And...
                                  Fine, fine, field points etc. are allowed too. As they always have
                                  been. And...
                                  Yeah, discussing distances will make for a change. Just as long as
                                  everybody is aware of it. And, handbowmen? Take a range estimate from a
                                  crossbowman with a few grains of salt, eh?

                                  Nigel

                                  _

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  --
                                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                                • Sam Cohen
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                    Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                    doing set up?

                                    Demetrious

                                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                      Greetings
                                      My intention at this time is to show up on Saturday the 2nd. First
                                      thing I do is register at troll. Second thing I do is set up my tent.
                                      Third thing I do is get up the hill. Fourth thing I do is open the
                                      trailer. Fifth thing I do is look around and say, "Demetrious, find out
                                      where everyone in the work crew has wandered off to..."

                                      ...the eleven thousand nine hundred and forty eighth thing I do is lock
                                      the trailer, get back in my car, and drive home.

                                      Nigel

                                      > Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                      > doing set up?
                                      >
                                      > Demetrious

                                    • Bob Upson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                        On 20 Jun 2003 at 14:32, Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                                        > >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year
                                        >
                                        > I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this

                                        Or, clearer yet, "Each person attending the War may shoot each War
                                        Point only once. Each bow brought to War may be used only once to
                                        shoot each War Point. Bows may not be shared between archers for the
                                        same War Point except in the case of equipment failures as approved
                                        by the Archery Marshallate."

                                        > Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                                        > only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                                        > relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                                        I should hope so. Pennsic is just too good an opportunity to try
                                        different equipment on the practice range. =)

                                        YIS,
                                        Macsen
                                      • Bob Upson
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                          On 20 Jun 2003 at 15:02, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

                                          > Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                                          > named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                                          > one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                                          > about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...

                                          To the best of my recollection, the rule has never been applied to
                                          prevent one person from shooting different bows on different War
                                          Points. They just mean that each "man" and each "bow" only get to
                                          shoot each War Point once. You can mix and match "men" and "bows"
                                          all you want so long as each of the pair never shoots the same War
                                          Point more than once.

                                          I was always told that "one man, one bow" was intended to represent
                                          that the massed War Points simulate one battle each. At each battle,
                                          there are just so many people with bows shooting so the number of
                                          bows available sets the limit on how many people are actually
                                          participating in the battle. For convenience and safety, we actually
                                          conduct each of these battles over several days using several lines
                                          but the intent is to approximate each one happening all at once --
                                          and that precludes passing a bow around.

                                          YIS,
                                          Macsen
                                        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                            Well Nigel & Demetrious ... when looking for the work crew ... don't forget
                                            to wander your way up Count Jehann's Bounty ... through Block N22 ... where
                                            I'm sure members of House Crossbow, House Longbow, and Highland Foorde will
                                            be willing again to lend a hand.

                                            Siegfried
                                            - At least I can say that one member of Highland Foorde will *grin*

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                              At 03:02 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                                              >Greetings
                                              > Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                                              Just doing my job ... It's in my position description *grin*

                                              > No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...

                                              I'm assuming you meant no, it CAN'T ... and therefore am holding my
                                              'jumping for joy' back ...

                                              Siegfried
                                              Archer
                                              Brewer
                                              Fighter
                                              Official Kvetch'er of all SCA Rulesets

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                Greetings
                                                Substantially correct - there is nothing in the rules to say that
                                                one person cannot use many different bows, just that one cannot pass
                                                around a bow to various different users.
                                                It may at one time have been presented as an authenticity issue,
                                                but nowadays its adherents are representing it as a safety issue.

                                                Nigel

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                  Greetings
                                                  <sigh> Down boy... Down!
                                                  "Can't". I meant "can't". As in "No, it's gonna be Tuesday".
                                                  Hey, stop looking at me like that... Someone, where's Sebastians
                                                  leash.? Down, get d... Help!

                                                  Nigel

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                    Greetings
                                                    Depends on the tourney. Either myself or my deputy for Novelty
                                                    Shoots (Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - agincort@...) could help with
                                                    that sort of thing.

                                                    Cordially;

                                                    Nigel

                                                    > M'lord - who could I speak to about offering items for tourney prizes?
                                                    >
                                                    > Ascellina Bethell

                                                  • sharonshrdr
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 13, 2007
                                                        I got this off another list.

                                                        If your interested, get in touch.

                                                        Gwilym

                                                        Pennsic Archery
                                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-SocietyArcherMarshal/message/60;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdDdkYzNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4NjY0OTYzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc2NzUwMwRtc2dJZAM2MARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTc2MjAxNjg3>

                                                        Posted by: "Dan Inman" tarquinred@...
                                                        <mailto:tarquinred@...?Subject=%20Re%3APennsic%20Archery>
                                                        tarquinritter <http://profiles.yahoo.com/tarquinritter>

                                                        Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:51 pm (PST)

                                                        Greetings, All

                                                        My lady is coordinating novelty shoots for Pennsic this year and she is
                                                        looking for volunteers. Could each of you spread the word that we need
                                                        novelties for the first week of Pennsic. This is the information she needs:

                                                        SCA Name

                                                        Kingdom

                                                        Name of Shoot

                                                        Description

                                                        Which range needed? (clout, practice range, advancing man range, slot range)

                                                        Age groups (adult only, adult and youth)

                                                        Days / times preferred

                                                        Please note that we can schedule some novelties during the second week, but
                                                        with the following limitations:

                                                        Between 9 am and 6 pm - only the Practice Range

                                                        After 6 pm - Clout Range or Practice Range

                                                        No novelties after Thursday

                                                        Also, if anyone is interested in teaching a class, it is recommended that
                                                        you register it through the A&S Class Officer (see Pennsic site) and state
                                                        that you want it held on the archery range. Then copy Countess Aibhilin so
                                                        she can add it to the range schedule. Our goal is to be able to publish a
                                                        detailed schedule before War so people will know what's happening on the
                                                        range before trudging up the hill.

                                                        Aibhilin's email address is aibhilin@...
                                                        <mailto:aibhilin%40sbcglobal.net>

                                                        Please spread the word. We're hoping to get some good ones in.

                                                        In Service,

                                                        Tarquin

                                                        archerymarshal@... <mailto:archerymarshal%40midrealm.org>

                                                        archergen@... <mailto:archergen%40midrealm.org>

                                                        www.midrealm.
                                                        org/marshal/archery

                                                      • Jennie Fernandez
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 13, 2007
                                                          I wish I could, our generator broke and we need to
                                                          upgrade the solar. We don't adequate power right now.
                                                          I don't think I'll be able to attend this year. I 've
                                                          never been, I would really like to go someday.
                                                          Arianna

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com