Pennsic Archery

  • John J Anderson
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
      Greetings

      I would present to the lists the suggestion that it is time for some
      changes as to how the archery war points are scheduled at Pennsic.
      Primarily that it is time to reduce the number of hours that the ranges
      are reserved for war point shooting.

      I would suggest that war point shooting be reduced to perhaps half a day
      for each of the days war points are currently shot, alternating between
      morning and afternoon sessions. I am getting tired of and I would
      suspect many other marshals are also tired of running lines of two and
      three archers, not just once in a while, but for most of the time war
      points are bring shot. It is also an ongoing struggle each year to staff
      the ranges for war points so that a reduction in hours would help to
      alleviate that problem.

      Additionally consideration should be given to varying the war point
      shoots, the clout and advancing warrior have been used since before I
      became a marshal, and the castle window has been in use for quite a while
      as well. I am not suggesting any specific different shoots but there are
      a number of shoots that could be designed, and one way to add variety
      might be to design perhaps three additional possible shoots and each
      Pennsic use a different combination of the three current and whatever
      additional shoots might be created, so that each year is different.

      Finally a possible way to revive interest in archery in general and
      specifically at Pennsic might be a stronger push for assorted novelty
      shoots, and the scheduling of a significant number of them early enough
      before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.

      As to my own back ground in making this suggestion, I have been an East
      Kingdom archery marshal since 1993 (Pennsic 22), and served as a regional
      from 1994 through 1996. I've worked as a scoring marshal at Pennsic
      since Pennsic 23, missing only 25 and 29 since then.

      Yours in service
      Ragnar the Wolf
      Rusted Woodlands
      East Kingdom
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
        My own thoughts into the mix.

        >I would suggest that war point shooting be reduced to perhaps half a day
        >for each of the days war points are currently shot, alternating between
        >morning and afternoon sessions. I am getting tired of and I would
        >suspect many other marshals are also tired of running lines of two and
        >three archers, not just once in a while, but for most of the time war
        >points are bring shot.

        I agree with the sentiment, but think that there are other solutions. As a
        general statement, yes, I feel there is too much time devoted to shooting
        the 'war points', and not to 'just shooting'.

        In particular the problem that during the second week of war, the one
        practice range is FULL of people just wanting to shoot, while, as mentioned
        above, the war point ranges are mostly empty.

        Yes, one solution would be to half-day them all. Another solution would be
        to have them on alternate days.

        However, both of these create (or I should say make worse) a problem that I
        heard time and time again from 'ye-regular-archer'. Which is that they
        don't know when things are happening, and things keep changing their
        times. Archers coming up to shoot their war point and the ranges just shut
        down 5 minutes ago. Archers coming up to shoot for practice to find out
        that war points are going on, or that a marshals meeting is taking place
        and they can't.

        Having a half-day or alternate day solution would cause more of the same
        problems (yes, even if HIGHLY advertised.)

        The best version of this type of solution might be to collapse the war
        point into a single day. Or perhaps two. Instead of having it
        Tuesday-Saturday, as it was this year. Have it Thursday & Friday. If
        everyone is coming on less days, there should be plenty of business.

        HOWEVER, I think I might have a better idea.

        Set up one range for war points, for ALL the war points, and keep it alone
        always open. That is to say, assuming we are using the same targets as
        before. Set up what is normally the clout range, to also have in front of
        the clout one set of the advancing man targets, and an additional 30yd,
        which combined with the 30yd man, can be the slot shoot (have a quick
        change target face for that one). Now you can probably make a line of 10
        people, maybe a few more, few less, that can shoot these targets, and just
        have one marshal.

        Have this range rotate through the different targets, doing clout,
        retrieving, doing advancing man, retrieving, doing slot, repeat, lather, rinse.

        This way it only takes 1 marshal to keep the war point running, it can be
        run every day all day easily, and it isn't taking up much of the range for
        those people that just want to shoot, NOT for the war point. In fact,
        doing this can free up all the rest of the ranges for other uses. Have
        different 'generic' ranges set up for general practice, such as a range of
        scattered man targets at various ranges, and change them around every so
        often. Also this gives way to more novelty shoots more often, since they
        don't have to compete with the war points.

        >Additionally consideration should be given to varying the war point
        >shoots, the clout and advancing warrior have been used since before I
        >became a marshal, and the castle window has been in use for quite a while
        >as well. I am not suggesting any specific different shoots but there are
        >a number of shoots that could be designed, and one way to add variety
        >might be to design perhaps three additional possible shoots and each
        >Pennsic use a different combination of the three current and whatever
        >additional shoots might be created, so that each year is different.

        I like the idea of possibly changing 1 shoot each Pennsic. However, I
        would suggest that it be HIGHLY advertised beforehand. There are those
        novice archers who only feel comfortable shooting at Pennsic for the war
        point if they have practiced it. And I don't want to discourage them!

        >Finally a possible way to revive interest in archery in general and
        >specifically at Pennsic might be a stronger push for assorted novelty
        >shoots, and the scheduling of a significant number of them early enough
        >before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.

        Yes, more novelty shoots. In the past there were 'calls' for shoots to be
        included in the book. I don't remember one last year (not saying there
        wasn't, I just don't remember). However, one problem that plagues Pennsic
        in many ways. Ranging from novelty shoots to A&S classes, is that you
        don't get to see the schedule before you have to make up your mind. I
        would hate to sign up to run 3 novelty shoots, then find out that one was
        scheduled during the castle battle, another during Atlantian Court, and
        another during the Crossbow Conspiracy.

        Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
      • Carl West at home
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
          John J Anderson wrote:
          > I would present to the lists the suggestion that ... war point shooting be reduced to perhaps half a day for each of the days war points are currently shot, alternating between morning and afternoon sessions.... varying the war point shoots...a number of shoots...could be designed ... and each Pennsic use a different combination of the three current and whatever additional shoots might be created...

          Ragnar, you know this I'm sure, but to make it clear to all...

          The Pensic warpoints are negotiated well ahead of time by the Crowns of the East and the Middle (with advice from their various Officers and others). If we want to make a change like this we all need to petition our current Crown Princes, Archers General and those who advise them. The negotiations will begin very soon, I expect.

          > Finally a possible way to revive interest in archery in general and
          > specifically at Pennsic might be a stronger push for assorted novelty
          > shoots, and the scheduling of a significant number of them early enough
          > before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.

          That would be cool. I'm still interested in running an armor piercing shoot, I floated the idea a year or so ago and got only one response of any sort so I let it lie (and then work sucked up my life) but I'm willing to pursue the idea again. If there's interest.

          - Frydherik who loads his bow funny

          --
          Carl West eisen@...
          http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

          "Everyone generalizes from a single case. I do it."
          - Vlad Taltos in _Issola_ by Steven Brust
        • alberic
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
            >John J Anderson wrote:
            > > before Pennsic that they could be included in the Pennsic booklet.
            >
            >That would be cool. I'm still interested in running an armor
            >piercing shoot, I floated the idea a year or so ago and got only one
            >response of any sort so I let it lie (and then work sucked up my
            >life) but I'm willing to pursue the idea again. If there's interest.
            >
            >- Frydherik who loads his bow funny
            >

            >--
            >Carl West eisen@...
            >http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

            Carl:

            I'd be interested in an AP shoot, especially after I get the big boy done.
            Be interesting to see just exactly what effect all those extra pounds have.

            Cheers-
            Alberic

            PS--
            Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
            square, by 36" long)
            Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.

            --
            ---
            The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
              alberic wrote:

              > >... I'm still interested in running an armor
              > >piercing shoot, ...
              > >- Frydherik who loads his bow funny

              > I'd be interested in an AP shoot, especially after I get the big boy done.
              > Be interesting to see just exactly what effect all those extra pounds have.
              >
              > Cheers-
              > Alberic
              >
              > PS--
              > Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
              > square, by 36" long)
              > Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.

              'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
              I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
              Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.

              Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...

              --Fritz
            • alberic
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2001
                >alberic wrote:
                >>
                ><snip>
                > >
                >> PS--
                >> Alybody know where to get Beech wood in *big* cross sections? (3"
                >> square, by 36" long)
                >> Oddly, it's rather hard to come by in southern CA.
                >
                >'big boy'!?, '3" square, by 36" long'!?
                >I was thinking of trying to simulate armored men, not fortifications!
                >Sounds like you're gonna blow the targets I have in mind right off
                >the stands. 8-o Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.
                >
                >Hmmm. maybe an 'Enemy Oak Door' class...
                >
                >--Fritz

                Fritz:

                The "big boy" is the thousand pounder I've been muttering about for
                years. Finally under way.
                The 3" beech is for the tiller, not the prod. I just like the more
                "curvy" styles of tiller, rather than the slabsided ones. For this,
                you need large timbers. (If I were ever going to glue up a blank,
                the stock of a 1000# crossbow would not be the time.)
                As far as killing targets...I've always wondered what my tungsten AP
                heads would do to a steel faced target...
                Actually, if you let the crossbow types know far enough ahead that
                they can make up some truly medieval style AP bolts, rather than the
                thistledown they normally throw, you could get some interesting
                examples of *why* heavy crossbows were so dangerous.

                So...anybody know where to find Beech that big? I really want to
                stay with Beech, if it's at all possible.

                Cheers-
                Alberic
                --
                ---
              • cwilson@mhmh.org
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                  I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
                  the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
                  afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
                  reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
                  compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.

                  I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
                  the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
                  the week, this would save me alot of money.

                  -Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
                  ever
                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                    Actually, looks like you've got a bit of a conflicting interest there.

                    If you are going to be shooting in the Champions shoot, it is usually
                    Monday or Tuesday of the 2nd week of war. NOT near the end of the week.

                    But anyway, your information about Pennsic costs is slightly skewed. What
                    in fact happens is that if you arrive the Friday of the 1st week, or any
                    time later, you pay a set fee. No matter what day during that you arrive,
                    and what day you leave. So someone spending the whole last week costs the
                    same as someone spending just the last Friday/Saturday.

                    If, however, you arrive BEFORE the Friday of the 1st week, there is an
                    additional '1st week fee'. Traditionally $20 ...

                    Siegfried

                    At 08:47 AM 11/9/2001 -0500, cwilson@... wrote:

                    >I have but one plea for the organizers of archery and thrown weapons for
                    >the next Pennsic...PLEASE put them near the end of the week. I cannot
                    >afford to attend a whole week of Pennsic. As such, I had planned to
                    >reserve a hotel room for 2 nights and be at Pennsic just long enough to
                    >compete in War Points and Champion Shoots.
                    >
                    >I've been told that once you pay to get into Pennsic, you are paying for
                    >the remaining balance of days...if archery can wait until near the end of
                    >the week, this would save me alot of money.
                    >
                    >-Caedmon, not beneath begging so he can attend Pennsic for the first time
                    >ever

                    Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
                  • Block, Alan W
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                      The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might have it.
                      Main st. North of McArthur.

                    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                        > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                        have it.
                        > Main st. North of McArthur.

                        I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                        data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                        Austin Hardwoods Inc
                        2533 S Main St
                        Santa Ana, CA 92707
                        (714) 641-2833

                        Taillear
                      • Block, Alan W
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 9, 2001
                          They are very easy to work with and will sell you the amount of board you
                          want as long as it leaves them with enough left over. They have small
                          amounts of yew not suitable for bows and lots of figured maple in every size
                          immaginable.
                          Alan Block

                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@u...> wrote:
                          > The hardwood store, formerly Austin Hardwoods; in Santa Ana might
                          have it.
                          > Main st. North of McArthur.

                          I have not been there for awhile but they are apparently still on a
                          data base as Austin Hardwoods:

                          Austin Hardwoods Inc
                          2533 S Main St
                          Santa Ana, CA 92707
                          (714) 641-2833

                          Taillear

                          Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                        • Susan Kell
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 10, 2001
                            Greetings -

                            I have one plea concerning this thread -- please bring your issues and
                            concerns to the people who can do something about it. We can discuss this
                            topic to death here and probably will, but this group does not make the
                            decisions -- nor should any e-mail list. Pennsic Archery negotiations,
                            planning, war shoots, range location, etc. are in the hands of the
                            respective archery officers and royalty of the East and Middle. It's fine
                            to bounce your ideas off others here on the list, but please share your
                            suggestions and concerns with the people who are in charge. For the East
                            Kingdom, the folks involved in planning archery at next Pennsic would be
                            Mistress Caitlin fitz Henry (who will be our Captain General of Archers
                            after 12th Night) and Darius and Roxana, our new Prince and Princess.

                            Just my two farthings,
                            Ygraine

                            (Mistress Ygraine of Kellswood, East Kingdom Archery Scorekeeper)
                          • garethorne@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                              I have been sitting here reading what everyone else has to say about the
                              archery at Pennsic and decided that it was time I threw my two cents in.
                              I think what everyone is basically saying is that once war points start,
                              the practice range needs to stay open for those of us that want to shoot
                              more than just war point. Personally, I don't see that happening unless
                              the design of the range is changed for Cooper's create more parking lots.
                              The attendance did not decrease after Pennsic 25 and I don't foresee it
                              dropping after XXX.
                              The half day or reduced days are both good ideas. The poll in my family
                              is 2 to 1 in favor of just two days of war points. I'd like to throw out
                              a couple of other ideas for discussion.

                              Idea #1: Reduce the number of shooting gates for each of the targets.
                              This would mean taking away one side of the advancing man. Less gates for
                              the clout and one less target for the slot shoot. This should give the
                              practice range more room and thus allow it to stay open.

                              Idea #2: When the range is not busy, allow one target on each range to
                              be used by those who have already shot their war point. The way it is
                              now, after you have shot your war point, the range is closed to you
                              except for before or after hours. The archer would inform the Line
                              Marshal that he/she has already shot the war point but would like to
                              shoot again for no score. They would be allowed on the clout only by
                              themselves.

                              Gareth Thorne
                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                            • garethorne@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 14, 2001
                                Well, I am not a regular member of this archery site but as the topic has
                                been brought up at home and we have had many
                                discussions on the day of war points etc. I thought I would share my
                                viewpoint.

                                Pennsic is a time for families and friends to get together. We also have
                                a "real" life out there that allows most of us to play the game.
                                Families with children or teachers, as I am, do not really want to have
                                the tournaments toward the end of war week.
                                For the past three years, I have had to start teaching on the Monday
                                following Pennsic. Our colleges here in central Illinois also have
                                started on that day. I know of others who have had to leave early in
                                order to get back so the kids were ready for school. Even though it
                                might be the first day, they need to have a good rest before they go to
                                school.

                                Those who travel farther, from other kingdoms especially, might need to
                                start home by Thursday or Friday in order to get home for work or school.
                                If someone has taken 2 weeks vacation, that includes travel time and
                                needs to be addressed too.

                                If you have two full days of war point or several half days, they should
                                not be at the end of war. Also, many people never get
                                to hear how the archery war points for the populace end up because they
                                go clear to the last minute after many have started home. It might be
                                worth it to have them earlier just to see if there is more participation.
                                Some people don't shoot because they already know which side has won and
                                wonder - what's the use. We need to do something to keep the archers
                                interested. Most of the grumbles that I have heard since Pennsic XXX
                                were the lack of novelties. That keeps the archers continuing to come
                                and stay interested. Once the novelties were stopped and the war points
                                started- what is to keep you coming back if you have already shot your
                                war point? Another good side to this would be, that if marshals are out
                                there shooting novelties and see the need for a marshal, I would think
                                they would be more inclined to stay and help as they are already out
                                there.

                                Well, I guess I am done rambling but these are some things to think about
                                if changes are going to be made.

                                Elayne Thorne
                                Middle Kingdom archery and thrown weapons marshal

                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                              • Bruce R. Gordon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                  Greetings
                                  Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                                  for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                                  the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                                  Monday). It's located at...

                                  http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                                  If you are of an Arts-'n-Sciences disposition as well as an
                                  archer, please be sure to visit the link off of that to the Archery
                                  Masterworks Competition page.

                                  Cordially;
                                  Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG
                                  --
                                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                    At 02:13 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                                    > Just a quick note to let everyone know trhat the full Archery Page
                                    >for Pennsic 32 is up, with all the standard information available and
                                    >the corrected dates for the Championship shoot (Tuesday the 12th. NOT
                                    >Monday). It's located at...
                                    >
                                    >http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn32/GENERAL/Archerynew.html

                                    Greetings Nigel ...

                                    Don't guess we could get that changed to Monday anyway huh? *grin* The
                                    Champion shoot is ALWAYS put on the same day as a combat archery battle
                                    *sigh* ... bad planning in my book. (And it's a fort battle too!)

                                    BTW, just a few comments about the rules as I read them ... mostly on the
                                    'fun comments' side of the house:

                                    >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year

                                    I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this
                                    'one man' happens to have MANY bows he brings to Pennsic ... but all of
                                    those bows, get used by this 'one man' ...

                                    Written as one-man, one-bow, sounds like each person can only use one bow :)

                                    Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                                    only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                                    relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                                    >crossbows must have wooden stocks.

                                    Is that a new one this year? I don't remember that one, and I know I've
                                    seen barnett's out there in the past.

                                    >Ammunition must be made of wooden shafts mounted by target points

                                    Just a note of 'bad wording'. in modern times, 'target points' are a
                                    specific type of point with a cone shaped head. The way this is phrased,
                                    it would officially disallow 'field points' which are the #1 most common
                                    point in the SCA, as well as things such as 'modbods' (modified short
                                    bodkins to not harm targets), bullet points, the cool whistling points, etc.

                                    >Distances in the Woodswalk and the Unknown long range may be discussed
                                    >within participant teams.

                                    Just pasting this here for all to see :) Different from years past I see
                                    ... That will make for an interesting change of pace.

                                    In Service,
                                    Siegfried

                                    THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                      Greetings
                                      Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                                      No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...
                                      Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                                      named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                                      one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                                      about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...
                                      I know that Barnetts are used, I inspect most of them <shrug> What
                                      can I tell ya, the rule was copied from last years edition, but I think
                                      the "spirit of Mediaeval archery" comment will allow for Barnetts. Just
                                      barely. I agre the rule should probably be clarified or rewritten.
                                      And...
                                      Fine, fine, field points etc. are allowed too. As they always have
                                      been. And...
                                      Yeah, discussing distances will make for a change. Just as long as
                                      everybody is aware of it. And, handbowmen? Take a range estimate from a
                                      crossbowman with a few grains of salt, eh?

                                      Nigel

                                      _

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      --
                                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                                    • Sam Cohen
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                        Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                        doing set up?

                                        Demetrious

                                      • Bruce R. Gordon
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                          Greetings
                                          My intention at this time is to show up on Saturday the 2nd. First
                                          thing I do is register at troll. Second thing I do is set up my tent.
                                          Third thing I do is get up the hill. Fourth thing I do is open the
                                          trailer. Fifth thing I do is look around and say, "Demetrious, find out
                                          where everyone in the work crew has wandered off to..."

                                          ...the eleven thousand nine hundred and forty eighth thing I do is lock
                                          the trailer, get back in my car, and drive home.

                                          Nigel

                                          > Hey boss, do you know yet what day / time you are planning on
                                          > doing set up?
                                          >
                                          > Demetrious

                                        • Bob Upson
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                            On 20 Jun 2003 at 14:32, Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                                            > >Therefore, the One-Man, One-Bow rule remains in effect this year
                                            >
                                            > I always thought this should be written as 'one bow, one man' ... This this

                                            Or, clearer yet, "Each person attending the War may shoot each War
                                            Point only once. Each bow brought to War may be used only once to
                                            shoot each War Point. Bows may not be shared between archers for the
                                            same War Point except in the case of equipment failures as approved
                                            by the Archery Marshallate."

                                            > Also, a 'real question' on this for this year. In years past, this has
                                            > only be in force for the 'war point' shoots, and the restriction has been
                                            > relaxed during 'free practice'. Is this still the same this year?

                                            I should hope so. Pennsic is just too good an opportunity to try
                                            different equipment on the practice range. =)

                                            YIS,
                                            Macsen
                                          • Bob Upson
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                              On 20 Jun 2003 at 15:02, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:

                                              > Talk to the East, they're the ones who invented the rule, and
                                              > named it ("Oh, bow-boy, I think I'll use the number 4 recurve on this
                                              > one..."). As to practice vs. points, dunno, Caitlin was very adamant
                                              > about the whole thing. I'll ask. And...

                                              To the best of my recollection, the rule has never been applied to
                                              prevent one person from shooting different bows on different War
                                              Points. They just mean that each "man" and each "bow" only get to
                                              shoot each War Point once. You can mix and match "men" and "bows"
                                              all you want so long as each of the pair never shoots the same War
                                              Point more than once.

                                              I was always told that "one man, one bow" was intended to represent
                                              that the massed War Points simulate one battle each. At each battle,
                                              there are just so many people with bows shooting so the number of
                                              bows available sets the limit on how many people are actually
                                              participating in the battle. For convenience and safety, we actually
                                              conduct each of these battles over several days using several lines
                                              but the intent is to approximate each one happening all at once --
                                              and that precludes passing a bow around.

                                              YIS,
                                              Macsen
                                            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                Well Nigel & Demetrious ... when looking for the work crew ... don't forget
                                                to wander your way up Count Jehann's Bounty ... through Block N22 ... where
                                                I'm sure members of House Crossbow, House Longbow, and Highland Foorde will
                                                be willing again to lend a hand.

                                                Siegfried
                                                - At least I can say that one member of Highland Foorde will *grin*

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                  At 03:02 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote:
                                                  >Greetings
                                                  > Siegfried, you are such a kvetch...

                                                  Just doing my job ... It's in my position description *grin*

                                                  > No, it can be changed back to Monday, and...

                                                  I'm assuming you meant no, it CAN'T ... and therefore am holding my
                                                  'jumping for joy' back ...

                                                  Siegfried
                                                  Archer
                                                  Brewer
                                                  Fighter
                                                  Official Kvetch'er of all SCA Rulesets

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                    Greetings
                                                    Substantially correct - there is nothing in the rules to say that
                                                    one person cannot use many different bows, just that one cannot pass
                                                    around a bow to various different users.
                                                    It may at one time have been presented as an authenticity issue,
                                                    but nowadays its adherents are representing it as a safety issue.

                                                    Nigel

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                      Greetings
                                                      <sigh> Down boy... Down!
                                                      "Can't". I meant "can't". As in "No, it's gonna be Tuesday".
                                                      Hey, stop looking at me like that... Someone, where's Sebastians
                                                      leash.? Down, get d... Help!

                                                      Nigel

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003
                                                        Greetings
                                                        Depends on the tourney. Either myself or my deputy for Novelty
                                                        Shoots (Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - agincort@...) could help with
                                                        that sort of thing.

                                                        Cordially;

                                                        Nigel

                                                        > M'lord - who could I speak to about offering items for tourney prizes?
                                                        >
                                                        > Ascellina Bethell

                                                      • sharonshrdr
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 20, 2003

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 13 11:55 AM
                                                            I got this off another list.

                                                            If your interested, get in touch.

                                                            Gwilym

                                                            Pennsic Archery
                                                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-SocietyArcherMarshal/message/60;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdDdkYzNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4NjY0OTYzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc2NzUwMwRtc2dJZAM2MARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTc2MjAxNjg3>

                                                            Posted by: "Dan Inman" tarquinred@...
                                                            <mailto:tarquinred@...?Subject=%20Re%3APennsic%20Archery>
                                                            tarquinritter <http://profiles.yahoo.com/tarquinritter>

                                                            Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:51 pm (PST)

                                                            Greetings, All

                                                            My lady is coordinating novelty shoots for Pennsic this year and she is
                                                            looking for volunteers. Could each of you spread the word that we need
                                                            novelties for the first week of Pennsic. This is the information she needs:

                                                            SCA Name

                                                            Kingdom

                                                            Name of Shoot

                                                            Description

                                                            Which range needed? (clout, practice range, advancing man range, slot range)

                                                            Age groups (adult only, adult and youth)

                                                            Days / times preferred

                                                            Please note that we can schedule some novelties during the second week, but
                                                            with the following limitations:

                                                            Between 9 am and 6 pm - only the Practice Range

                                                            After 6 pm - Clout Range or Practice Range

                                                            No novelties after Thursday

                                                            Also, if anyone is interested in teaching a class, it is recommended that
                                                            you register it through the A&S Class Officer (see Pennsic site) and state
                                                            that you want it held on the archery range. Then copy Countess Aibhilin so
                                                            she can add it to the range schedule. Our goal is to be able to publish a
                                                            detailed schedule before War so people will know what's happening on the
                                                            range before trudging up the hill.

                                                            Aibhilin's email address is aibhilin@...
                                                            <mailto:aibhilin%40sbcglobal.net>

                                                            Please spread the word. We're hoping to get some good ones in.

                                                            In Service,

                                                            Tarquin

                                                            archerymarshal@... <mailto:archerymarshal%40midrealm.org>

                                                            archergen@... <mailto:archergen%40midrealm.org>

                                                            www.midrealm.
                                                            org/marshal/archery

                                                          • Jennie Fernandez
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 13 12:47 PM
                                                              I wish I could, our generator broke and we need to
                                                              upgrade the solar. We don't adequate power right now.
                                                              I don't think I'll be able to attend this year. I 've
                                                              never been, I would really like to go someday.
                                                              Arianna

                                                              http://mail.yahoo.com