Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • aleksei1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
      Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
      tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
      ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
      next batch.
      Aleksei Zateev
      AnTir
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Patrick Tolen
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
        Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
        have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
        SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
        unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
        encouraging!

        L. Patrick of Avebury
        Calafia
        CAID

        -- Pat

        Space/Time Art
        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
        http://www.spacetimeart.com

      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
          >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
          >encouraging!

          Not at all.

          There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

          I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
          in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
          'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
          many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
          ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
          stability of the longer ones.

          There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
          years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
          at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
          a 125#+ prod.

          Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
          mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
          time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
          dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
          60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

          Siegfried

          Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
        • AMENSEYA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
            Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
            a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
            Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
            bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
            My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

            I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
            made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
            This way I have perfect end caps.

            --o-- __I__ __V__
            Two Three Four

            Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

            "Che Guardare il Guardia"

          • Jack Bradley
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
              So I'll through in my 2 cents
              11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
              I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
              So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
              track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
              wood
              Ragnar two axe

              Patrick Tolen wrote:

              > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
              > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
              > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
              > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
              > encouraging!
              >
              > L. Patrick of Avebury
              > Calafia
              > CAID
              >
              > -- Pat
              >
              > Space/Time Art
              > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
              > http://www.spacetimeart.com

            • James Pratt
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                that works.

                James Cunningham

              • banzhof@dnaco.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                  I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                  cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                  with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                  shooting.

                  Alan of Caerlaverock