Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Patrick Tolen
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      alberic wrote:

      > Patrick:
      >
      > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
      > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
      > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
      > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
      > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
      > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
      >
      > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
      > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
      > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
      > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
      > spray-painted dayglo orange.
      > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
      > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
      > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
      >
      > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
      > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
      > so they fire very consistently.
      >
      > Cheers-
      > Alberic, Isles.

      Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

      -- Pat

      Space/Time Art
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
      http://www.spacetimeart.com

    • aleksei1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
        Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
        tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
        ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
        next batch.
        Aleksei Zateev
        AnTir
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Patrick Tolen
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
          Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
          have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
          SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
          unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
          encouraging!

          L. Patrick of Avebury
          Calafia
          CAID

          -- Pat

          Space/Time Art
          http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
          http://www.spacetimeart.com

        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
            >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
            >encouraging!

            Not at all.

            There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

            I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
            in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
            'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
            many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
            ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
            stability of the longer ones.

            There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
            years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
            at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
            a 125#+ prod.

            Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
            mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
            time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
            dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
            60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

            Siegfried

            Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
          • AMENSEYA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
              Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
              a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
              Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
              bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
              My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

              I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
              made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
              This way I have perfect end caps.

              --o-- __I__ __V__
              Two Three Four

              Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

              "Che Guardare il Guardia"

            • Jack Bradley
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                So I'll through in my 2 cents
                11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                wood
                Ragnar two axe

                Patrick Tolen wrote:

                > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                > encouraging!
                >
                > L. Patrick of Avebury
                > Calafia
                > CAID
                >
                > -- Pat
                >
                > Space/Time Art
                > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                > http://www.spacetimeart.com

              • James Pratt
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                  For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                  with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                  accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                  tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                  that works.

                  James Cunningham

                • banzhof@dnaco.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                    I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                    cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                    with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                    shooting.

                    Alan of Caerlaverock