Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      For my 62# I use 11/32 chundoo 3 fletch, 3 inch, standard 120°, 13 1/2
      inches long 100 grain tip, for my 150# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, 3 inch,
      standard 120°, 15 inches long, 125 grain tip, these are both open div,
      no sites, for the period 90# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, tied only
      configured _I_, 3 inch, 14 inches long, 125 grain tip.

      Damian >>~~~>
    • alberic
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
        >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
        >
        > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

        Patrick:

        Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
        shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
        (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
        crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
        damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
        There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)

        1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
        Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
        to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
        15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
        spray-painted dayglo orange.
        (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
        Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
        They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.

        The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
        exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
        so they fire very consistently.

        Cheers-
        Alberic, Isles.
        --
        ---
        The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
          > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
          [...]

          We will NOT have a repeat of the arrow accident I posted about.

          No shooting of ladies allowed.

          -Caedmon

          *grin*
        • Patrick Tolen
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            alberic wrote:

            > Patrick:
            >
            > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
            > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
            > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
            > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
            > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
            > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
            >
            > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
            > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
            > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
            > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
            > spray-painted dayglo orange.
            > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
            > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
            > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
            >
            > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
            > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
            > so they fire very consistently.
            >
            > Cheers-
            > Alberic, Isles.

            Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

            -- Pat

            Space/Time Art
            http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
            http://www.spacetimeart.com

          • aleksei1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
              Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
              tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
              ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
              next batch.
              Aleksei Zateev
              AnTir
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Patrick Tolen
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                encouraging!

                L. Patrick of Avebury
                Calafia
                CAID

                -- Pat

                Space/Time Art
                http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                http://www.spacetimeart.com

              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                  >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                  >encouraging!

                  Not at all.

                  There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

                  I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
                  in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
                  'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
                  many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
                  ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
                  stability of the longer ones.

                  There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
                  years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
                  at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
                  a 125#+ prod.

                  Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
                  mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
                  time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
                  dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
                  60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

                  Siegfried

                  Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                • AMENSEYA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                    Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
                    a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
                    Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
                    bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
                    My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

                    I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
                    made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
                    This way I have perfect end caps.

                    --o-- __I__ __V__
                    Two Three Four

                    Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

                    "Che Guardare il Guardia"

                  • Jack Bradley
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                      So I'll through in my 2 cents
                      11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                      I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                      So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                      track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                      wood
                      Ragnar two axe

                      Patrick Tolen wrote:

                      > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                      > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                      > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                      > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                      > encouraging!
                      >
                      > L. Patrick of Avebury
                      > Calafia
                      > CAID
                      >
                      > -- Pat
                      >
                      > Space/Time Art
                      > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                      > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                    • James Pratt
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                        For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                        with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                        accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                        tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                        that works.

                        James Cunningham

                      • banzhof@dnaco.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                          I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                          cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                          with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                          shooting.

                          Alan of Caerlaverock