Re: Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      I use 5/16 shafts that are 16" long with 70 grain
      tips, 2 2 inch fletches. I have tried heavier bolts but with my 82
      lbs bow seem to be too heavy for targets over 30 yrds I have better
      luck with the shorter bolts. I am just not sure why others crossbow
      users get nice results with longer bolts. I think it may be the
      drawing distance and less a poundage issue I only have about 6 inch
      draw to the rolling nut.

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Patrick Tolen <ptolen@h...> wrote:
      > Greetings . . .
      >
      > For those of you who use target crossbows; what size bolt shaft
      (dia.
      > and length) do you use for what ft / lbs of prod power? And how
      many
      > feathers do you use?
      >

      > -- Pat
      >

      > L. Patrick of Avebury
      > Calafia
      > CAID
      >
      > Space/Time Art

      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby
      .html

    • archer3@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        For my 62# I use 11/32 chundoo 3 fletch, 3 inch, standard 120°, 13 1/2
        inches long 100 grain tip, for my 150# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, 3 inch,
        standard 120°, 15 inches long, 125 grain tip, these are both open div,
        no sites, for the period 90# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, tied only
        configured _I_, 3 inch, 14 inches long, 125 grain tip.

        Damian >>~~~>
      • alberic
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
          >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
          >
          > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

          Patrick:

          Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
          shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
          (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
          crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
          damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
          There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)

          1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
          Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
          to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
          15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
          spray-painted dayglo orange.
          (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
          Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
          They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.

          The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
          exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
          so they fire very consistently.

          Cheers-
          Alberic, Isles.
          --
          ---
          The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
            > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
            [...]

            We will NOT have a repeat of the arrow accident I posted about.

            No shooting of ladies allowed.

            -Caedmon

            *grin*
          • Patrick Tolen
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
              alberic wrote:

              > Patrick:
              >
              > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
              > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
              > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
              > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
              > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
              > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
              >
              > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
              > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
              > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
              > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
              > spray-painted dayglo orange.
              > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
              > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
              > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
              >
              > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
              > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
              > so they fire very consistently.
              >
              > Cheers-
              > Alberic, Isles.

              Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

              -- Pat

            • aleksei1@juno.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
                tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
                ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
                next batch.
                Aleksei Zateev
                AnTir
                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Patrick Tolen
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                  Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                  have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                  SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                  unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                  encouraging!

                  L. Patrick of Avebury
                  Calafia
                  CAID

                  -- Pat

                  Space/Time Art
                  http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                  http://www.spacetimeart.com

                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                    >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                    >encouraging!

                    Not at all.

                    There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

                    I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
                    in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
                    'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
                    many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
                    ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
                    stability of the longer ones.

                    There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
                    years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
                    at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
                    a 125#+ prod.

                    Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
                    mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
                    time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
                    dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
                    60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

                    Siegfried

                    Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                  • AMENSEYA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                      Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
                      a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
                      Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
                      bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
                      My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

                      I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
                      made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
                      This way I have perfect end caps.

                      --o-- __I__ __V__
                      Two Three Four

                      Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

                      "Che Guardare il Guardia"

                    • Jack Bradley
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                        So I'll through in my 2 cents
                        11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                        I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                        So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                        track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                        wood
                        Ragnar two axe

                        Patrick Tolen wrote:

                        > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                        > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                        > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                        > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                        > encouraging!
                        >
                        > L. Patrick of Avebury
                        > Calafia
                        > CAID
                        >
                        > -- Pat
                        >
                        > Space/Time Art
                        > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                        > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                      • James Pratt
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                          For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                          with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                          accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                          tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                          that works.

                          James Cunningham

                        • banzhof@dnaco.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                            I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                            cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                            with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                            shooting.

                            Alan of Caerlaverock