Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      Time for someone with short(ish) bolts to chime in. First off I shoot a Iolo
      crossbow in the 65 lb range. The stock has a bolt groove, rather the a rest
      sitting on the end of the shelf, as some do. From tip to butt, my bolts
      measure about 13 inches. This length is just enough so that the point sits
      just in front of the stock so the only thing touching the bolt groove is
      bare shaft. All-in-all I get pretty consistent groups (and score) for a
      period style bow. I almost always shoot in the low to mid 90s on a royal
      round. Perfect ends at twenty and even thirty yards are not unknown to
      happen.

      My bolt construction technique and the reason behind what I do can be found
      on my SCA web site.

      Njall
      Caid

      Scott B. Jaqua

      SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

      Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        I use 5/16 shafts that are 16" long with 70 grain
        tips, 2 2 inch fletches. I have tried heavier bolts but with my 82
        lbs bow seem to be too heavy for targets over 30 yrds I have better
        luck with the shorter bolts. I am just not sure why others crossbow
        users get nice results with longer bolts. I think it may be the
        drawing distance and less a poundage issue I only have about 6 inch
        draw to the rolling nut.

        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Patrick Tolen <ptolen@h...> wrote:
        > Greetings . . .
        >
        > For those of you who use target crossbows; what size bolt shaft
        (dia.
        > and length) do you use for what ft / lbs of prod power? And how
        many
        > feathers do you use?
        >

        > -- Pat
        >

        > L. Patrick of Avebury
        > Calafia
        > CAID
        >
        > Space/Time Art

        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby
        .html

      • archer3@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          For my 62# I use 11/32 chundoo 3 fletch, 3 inch, standard 120°, 13 1/2
          inches long 100 grain tip, for my 150# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, 3 inch,
          standard 120°, 15 inches long, 125 grain tip, these are both open div,
          no sites, for the period 90# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, tied only
          configured _I_, 3 inch, 14 inches long, 125 grain tip.

          Damian >>~~~>
        • alberic
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
            >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
            >
            > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

            Patrick:

            Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
            shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
            (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
            crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
            damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
            There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)

            1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
            Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
            to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
            15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
            spray-painted dayglo orange.
            (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
            Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
            They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.

            The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
            exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
            so they fire very consistently.

            Cheers-
            Alberic, Isles.
            --
            ---
            The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
              > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
              > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
              [...]

              We will NOT have a repeat of the arrow accident I posted about.

              No shooting of ladies allowed.

              -Caedmon

              *grin*
            • Patrick Tolen
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                alberic wrote:

                > Patrick:
                >
                > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
                > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
                > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
                > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
                >
                > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
                > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
                > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
                > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
                > spray-painted dayglo orange.
                > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
                > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
                > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
                >
                > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
                > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
                > so they fire very consistently.
                >
                > Cheers-
                > Alberic, Isles.

                Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

                -- Pat

              • aleksei1@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
                  tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
                  ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
                  next batch.
                  Aleksei Zateev
                  AnTir
                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                • Patrick Tolen
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                    Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                    have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                    SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                    unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                    encouraging!

                    L. Patrick of Avebury
                    Calafia
                    CAID

                    -- Pat

                    Space/Time Art
                    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                    http://www.spacetimeart.com

                  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                      >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                      >encouraging!

                      Not at all.

                      There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

                      I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
                      in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
                      'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
                      many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
                      ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
                      stability of the longer ones.

                      There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
                      years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
                      at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
                      a 125#+ prod.

                      Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
                      mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
                      time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
                      dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
                      60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

                      Siegfried

                      Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                    • AMENSEYA@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                        Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
                        a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
                        Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
                        bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
                        My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

                        I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
                        made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
                        This way I have perfect end caps.

                        --o-- __I__ __V__
                        Two Three Four

                        Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

                        "Che Guardare il Guardia"

                      • Jack Bradley
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                          So I'll through in my 2 cents
                          11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                          I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                          So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                          track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                          wood
                          Ragnar two axe

                          Patrick Tolen wrote:

                          > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                          > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                          > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                          > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                          > encouraging!
                          >
                          > L. Patrick of Avebury
                          > Calafia
                          > CAID
                          >
                          > -- Pat
                          >
                          > Space/Time Art
                          > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                          > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                        • James Pratt
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                            For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                            with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                            accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                            tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                            that works.

                            James Cunningham

                          • banzhof@dnaco.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                              I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                              cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                              with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                              shooting.

                              Alan of Caerlaverock