Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Patrick Tolen
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2001
      Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
      many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .

      Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

      L. Patrick of Avebury
      Calafia
      CAID

      Pat

      Space/Time Art
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
      http://www.spacetimeart.com

    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        My crossbow has the same stats as Nigel's, here are my bolt stats:
        5/16" Port Orford Cedar, 45-50#
        21" length
        (3) 5" parabolic feathers, straight-fletched

        I am still learning to make my own bolts, with practice comes perfection.
        I messed up some on my first batch and the front edge of the some of the
        feathers curved, causing them to sit funny on my rail. It's no wonder my
        highest score is only 112, my bolts were sitting funny. I took a craft
        knife and cut off the offending bits and the bolts seem to fly more
        consistently. I haven't shot a royal round since the bolt surgery, but I
        did shoot a Vogulschutzen round of 120, so I did see some improvement.

        In the future, I'm going to be testing 15" bolts (recycled recurve arrows
        shafts) for long range shooting.

        -Caedmon
      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          My turn.

          Originally, I used 15" or so bolts ... 'halfbolts' so to speak. 2
          fletch. I started having stabilization problems with them in my crossbow
          though, even though I couldn't figure out WHAT exactly was causing the
          problem. I was given some 'long bolts ... around 20" or so, dunno off
          hand' by a good friend (Thanks Ragnar!) and they flew GREAT out of my
          bow. Stabilized nicely after firing.

          So now I'm using the 20" bolts.

          I still have crossbow friends who use the 14/15"ers. And the shorter ones
          work great, if you r bow is perfectly in tune. But the longer bolt puts
          the feathers farther back, allowing it to stabilize easier if you are
          developing a bit of a helicopter problem!

          Siegfried

          At 11:12 PM 10/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
          >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
          >
          > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel
          > free!
          >

          >L. Patrick of Avebury
          >Calafia
          >CAID
          >
          >Pat
          >

          >Space/Time Art
          >http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
          >http://www.spacetimeart.com

          Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
        • Scott Jaqua
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            Time for someone with short(ish) bolts to chime in. First off I shoot a Iolo
            crossbow in the 65 lb range. The stock has a bolt groove, rather the a rest
            sitting on the end of the shelf, as some do. From tip to butt, my bolts
            measure about 13 inches. This length is just enough so that the point sits
            just in front of the stock so the only thing touching the bolt groove is
            bare shaft. All-in-all I get pretty consistent groups (and score) for a
            period style bow. I almost always shoot in the low to mid 90s on a royal
            round. Perfect ends at twenty and even thirty yards are not unknown to
            happen.

            My bolt construction technique and the reason behind what I do can be found
            on my SCA web site.

            Njall
            Caid

            Scott B. Jaqua

            SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

            Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
              I use 5/16 shafts that are 16" long with 70 grain
              tips, 2 2 inch fletches. I have tried heavier bolts but with my 82
              lbs bow seem to be too heavy for targets over 30 yrds I have better
              luck with the shorter bolts. I am just not sure why others crossbow
              users get nice results with longer bolts. I think it may be the
              drawing distance and less a poundage issue I only have about 6 inch
              draw to the rolling nut.

            • archer3@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                For my 62# I use 11/32 chundoo 3 fletch, 3 inch, standard 120°, 13 1/2
                inches long 100 grain tip, for my 150# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, 3 inch,
                standard 120°, 15 inches long, 125 grain tip, these are both open div,
                no sites, for the period 90# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, tied only
                configured _I_, 3 inch, 14 inches long, 125 grain tip.

                Damian >>~~~>
              • alberic
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                  > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
                  >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
                  >
                  > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

                  Patrick:

                  Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                  shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                  (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
                  crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
                  damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
                  There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)

                  1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
                  Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
                  to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
                  15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
                  spray-painted dayglo orange.
                  (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
                  Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
                  They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.

                  The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
                  exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
                  so they fire very consistently.

                  Cheers-
                  Alberic, Isles.
                  --
                  ---
                  The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                    > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                    > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                    [...]

                    We will NOT have a repeat of the arrow accident I posted about.

                    No shooting of ladies allowed.

                    -Caedmon

                    *grin*
                  • Patrick Tolen
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                      alberic wrote:

                      > Patrick:
                      >
                      > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                      > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                      > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
                      > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
                      > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
                      > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
                      >
                      > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
                      > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
                      > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
                      > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
                      > spray-painted dayglo orange.
                      > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
                      > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
                      > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
                      >
                      > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
                      > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
                      > so they fire very consistently.
                      >
                      > Cheers-
                      > Alberic, Isles.

                      Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

                    • aleksei1@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
                        tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
                        ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
                        next batch.
                        Aleksei Zateev
                        AnTir
                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      • Patrick Tolen
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                          Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                          have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                          SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                          unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                          encouraging!

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                            >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                            >encouraging!

                            Not at all.

                            There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

                            I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
                            in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
                            'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
                            many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
                            ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
                            stability of the longer ones.

                            There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
                            years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
                            at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
                            a 125#+ prod.

                            Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
                            mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
                            time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
                            dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
                            60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

                            Siegfried

                            Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                          • AMENSEYA@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                              Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
                              a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
                              Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
                              bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
                              My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

                              I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
                              made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
                              This way I have perfect end caps.

                              --o-- __I__ __V__
                              Two Three Four

                              Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

                              "Che Guardare il Guardia"

                            • Jack Bradley
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                                So I'll through in my 2 cents
                                11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                                I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                                So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                                track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                                wood
                                Ragnar two axe

                                Patrick Tolen wrote:

                                > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                                > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                                > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                                > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                                > encouraging!
                                >
                                > L. Patrick of Avebury
                                > Calafia
                                > CAID
                                >
                                > -- Pat
                                >
                                > Space/Time Art
                                > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                                > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                              • James Pratt
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                                  For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                                  with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                                  accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                                  tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                                  that works.

                                  James Cunningham

                                • banzhof@dnaco.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                                    I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                                    cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                                    with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                                    shooting.

                                    Alan of Caerlaverock