Hun!!!

  • daniel.palivec@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxx.xx
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 1999
      Hello all,
      so, I did it: I finally have bought a #42 Hun bow!
      And it's true - the arrows
      really fly almost linear. See www.horsebows.com
      for details on this bow, anyway,
      who is interested.
      Now, I would like to ask somebody who owns this
      bow, to share his/her
      experience with me. Any info is welcome, mainly
      from somebody who shoots the bow
      normally (ie. not from a horseback... OK, it's
      _not_ normal with this kind of
      bow, but hope you understand what I mean ;-) ).
      For example, isn't it dangerous for the bow to
      drag the string with all fingers
      placed below the arrow nock (the aiming style with
      arrow just before your eye)?
      The string is already short (well, I'm used to
      longbows), and the bow is
      assymetrical, so can I do it without risk? How do
      you folks with similar
      bows aim, by the way? And what accuracy is
      possible when shooting totally
      without aiming devices?

      Greets and thanks in advance
      Dan Palivec
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 1999
        First, I shoot the bow as would be 'normal' - with a thumb ring and siper.

        I have a #53 Magyar - it is not assymetrical, but it is just as fast.

        Shooting with a standard Mediterranean release (arrow on the hand side of the
        bow, fingers draw the string) is not the most prevalent method of shooting a
        bow like this, because of the regular equestrian use of the bow. But these are
        really tough bows, can be well overdrawn, so you shouldn't worry about damaging
        the bow by drawing a little far.

        But if you can, try to shoot with the thumb release and the arrow on the thumb
        side of the bow. You can make a decent ring out of cow horn, and it is a very
        fast release.

        As for aiming, I have just in the past few months began to take serious
        practice time with the thumb release style, and I find that it is more
        consistent than the finger release. Though I am not yet quite expert in
        knowing where the bow will shoot from any of it's myriad of shooting positions
        and draw lengths, I will say that I have more luck with a very instinctive
        style than I do with any point-of-aim effort I have made. The whole picture
        makes more sense, with the bow slightly canted to the left, the arrow seems to
        be sitting in the 'right' position (on top of the palm of the bow hand - it
        seems like a very insignificant issue, but I will say that I find the sight
        picture clearer just looking over the siper (a horn arrow rest that is worn on
        the thumb - it has a leather ring on the bottom). I guess that shooting a
        traditional style feels slightly backwards - I am trying to support the arrow
        while in essence trying to drop the bow (bowhand palm down) - but this
        thumb-thumb system feels more stable.

        As for accuracy - I have shot this bow conventionally, and will say that it is
        the rival of any other bow I have - none of which have any sighting devices
        (even tape on the limbs). I have seen demonstrations put on by the maker of
        these bows, and you don't have to see them twice to realize the accuracy they
        are capable of.

        Just practice hard, and you will find so much that your bow is capable of doing
        that you don't even know yet...

        (just try a 32 inch shaft at full draw someday - it will amaze you.)

        Kaz
        > From: daniel.palivec@..., on 9/20/1999 4:03 PM:
        > From: daniel.palivec@...
        >
        > Hello all,
        > so, I did it: I finally have bought a #42 Hun bow!
        > And it's true - the arrows
        > really fly almost linear. See www.horsebows.com
        > for details on this bow, anyway,
        > who is interested.
        > Now, I would like to ask somebody who owns this
        > bow, to share his/her
        > experience with me. Any info is welcome, mainly
        > from somebody who shoots the bow
        > normally (ie. not from a horseback... OK, it's
        > _not_ normal with this kind of
        > bow, but hope you understand what I mean ;-) ).
        > For example, isn't it dangerous for the bow to
        > drag the string with all fingers
        > placed below the arrow nock (the aiming style with
        > arrow just before your eye)?
        > The string is already short (well, I'm used to
        > longbows), and the bow is
        > assymetrical, so can I do it without risk? How do
        > you folks with similar
        > bows aim, by the way? And what accuracy is
        > possible when shooting totally
        > without aiming devices?
        >
        > Greets and thanks in advance
        > Dan Palivec

      • James C Wolf
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 1999
          I shoot a 50lb Hun I got at Lilies War two years ago, and it is the most
          fun, and frustrating, bow I've owned. Since the riser is straight,
          without a shelf, Kaz helped me get a `seiper ' (leather cover to keep
          fletching out of the top of my hand) made by a leather merchant. It
          worked, but I found problems in shot to shot consistency as it moved on
          the hand each time I nocked. I saw and talked to a gentle at this Lilies
          who had added a ring of leather to his Mongol bow, and with this in mind,
          I stopped at a leather booth and bought a thick piece of leather to make
          a shelf with, and a long piece of suede to wrap it and hold it on. The
          difference in shooting was immense, with a great tightening of groups.
          However,the latest issue of PRIMITIVE ARCHER gives instructions on how to
          wrap arrow fletches, so my next batch will have this, and maby the shelf
          can go.
          I shoot with the Mediterranean style, one over and two under, using a
          tab-it works for me. A friend has promised a thumb ring when he has time
          to make one, and I look forward to trying the style. I have found 60lb
          spine shafts seem to give the best results, and the nocking point is
          pretty far up the string-the owner of the local range helped me set it,
          and was surprised at how high it had to be to shoot right. As to aiming,
          the only thing I can say is practice with the bow, and find where it
          shoots, then adapt to it-I find I aim low at 20, about half as low at 30,
          and on the bull at 40, but work out your own way-mine works for me.I tilt
          the bow to the right and lean my head to look over and down the shaft.
          Good luck with a really nice bow! FELIX
        • Matthew Legge
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
            Hi All,

            Just a general query to those who shoot the recurves made by Kassai....

            How do you work out where the arrow pass and hence the nocking point should
            be?

            Any insight would be appreciated.

            YIS

            Maidiu,
            Aneala
          • Matthew Legge
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
              Hello Again,

              Sorry, in my last message I left out the fact that I have one of Kassai's
              Mongol bows which lookks like it is symmetric.

              Currently I have the arrow about 25mm lower than the bottom of the binding,
              just above the handle. This is most comfortable for me, however some of the
              photos of the bows at www.horsebows.com show some of the archers having an
              arrow pass in the middle of the bow.

              YIS

              Maidiu,
              Aneala
            • SMuth22664@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
                I've been shooting a Kassai "Mongol" bows for about 2 years now and have
                discoverd a couple of things. First off, the ones I have had draw
                significantly lighter than they are marked. The first was marked 42# at 28"
                and drew 32# at 28" (the bow scale we used is very reliable and has been used
                on longbows, recurves, and compounds with great acuracy). I complained to
                the merchant I got it from and he replaced it (very politely and without a
                fuss) with the heaviest one he had at the time which was marked 52#, it draws
                44# at 28". I use arrows spined 40 - 45# and have had good luck with it. I
                tried some 55# arrows and had a lot of problems.

                Another thinig is that canting (tilting) the bow really helps!

                I shoot european style (one over, two under) with the arrow at the very top
                of the "handle" section of the bow. The leading ends of my fletches are
                whipped (wrapped with thread) so I can shoot off my bare hand without picking
                bits of feather out of my flesh. I have found that tipping my bow hand
                downto the front with regards to the bow allows the fletching to pass over
                the base of my thumb and not the base of my index finger. This seems to help
                accuracy and prevent srcatches. I don't have a nock point on the string, I
                just kind of put the arrow where it feels best. I thought this would hinder
                my speed rounds but it actually seems to have helped.

                Hope this helps.
                Ottokar
              • James C Wolf
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 1999
                  Further thoughts on the Hun bow, on just having returned from the
                  range-wax the upper and lower horns, just below and around the string
                  holes-it will increase string life as the string wears/rubs in this area.
                  Watch the wrappings on the string at top and bottom- they come loose and
                  wear-wax helps here. The string wraps above and below the grip can come
                  undone, watch for this. A little super glue stopped the unravelling on
                  mine, at a cost to the looks.I read that the Turks placed a piece of
                  Mother of Pearl on the grip under the arrow path to prevent wear on the
                  wood- I used a piece of abalone shell. I fitted it to the grip, rounded
                  the edges off, then used rubber cement and monofilament to tie it in
                  place. I'll have to move it when I get a thumb ring, so permanence isn't
                  wanted.The only way I have found to string it is by stepping thru and
                  bending behind the leg-be careful! If you get hasty or careless, this bow
                  WILL crack you solidly up side the head! I put the long(eared) end down
                  and string up the lower end-the ears give some guidance and location for
                  the "lower" string . Tie a piece of string or leather around this end,
                  as it can come off and then all the work of bending and hooking up is
                  wasted. This is a fun bow to shoot, and I wish you well with it. I love
                  mine, and have found it worth every cent.
                  FELIX