Crossbow bolts . . .

  • Patrick Tolen
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
      Greetings . . .

      For those of you who use target crossbows; what size bolt shaft (dia.
      and length) do you use for what ft / lbs of prod power? And how many
      feathers do you use?

      -- Pat

      L. Patrick of Avebury
      Calafia
      CAID

      Space/Time Art
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
      http://www.spacetimeart.com

    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
        Greetings
        I use 5/16th dia. shafts, 24 1/2 inches in length (quite a bit longer
        than usual); they are 3-fletch types. My bow is slightly over 90 lbs.

        Cordially;
        Fore4ster Nigel FitzMaurice

        --
        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • Patrick Tolen
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
          "Bruce R. Gordon" wrote:

          > Greetings
          > I use 5/16th dia. shafts, 24 1/2 inches in length (quite a bit longer
          > than usual); they are 3-fletch types. My bow is slightly over 90 lbs.
          >
          > Cordially;
          > Fore4ster Nigel FitzMaurice

          Hmmm . . . what is the draw length of your bow?

          -- Pat

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
            "Bruce R. Gordon" wrote:

            > Greetings
            > The draw length is an even 1 foot. The reason I have long shafts is that
            > I find that particular length convenient for sighting purposes; also, I
            > find them to be a bit more stable in flight.
            >
            > Nigel
            >
            > >> Greetings
            > >> I use 5/16th dia. shafts, 24 1/2 inches in length (quite a bit longer
            > >> than usual); they are 3-fletch types. My bow is slightly over 90 lbs.
            > >>
            > >> Cordially;
            > >> Fore4ster Nigel FitzMaurice

            Wow . . . so you have about 9 inches of bolt sticking out past the end of your
            bow?
            What kind of range do you get with the 1080 in/lbs ?

            L. Patrick of Avebury
            Calafia
            CAID
            Pat

            Space/Time Art
            http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
            http://www.spacetimeart.com

          • Scott L Hecathorn
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
              I shoot 5/16" 35# bolts cut down to 22 1/2"'s. My crossbow is 80-120#,
              depending on when I break my prod, and I just use the same blots for all.
              The brace height is set up for 3 7/8", but I usually keep it at ~3 1/2".
              Total draw is 12 1/4", 3/4" to long which is why I go through prods like
              bubble gum. I shoot 3 fletch, but I used to shoot 2 fletch and haven't
              really found much of a difference if their put on right.

              Robert Thorne

              On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:43:44 -0800 Patrick Tolen <ptolen@...>
              writes:
              > Greetings . . .
              >
              > For those of you who use target crossbows; what size bolt shaft
              > (dia.
              > and length) do you use for what ft / lbs of prod power? And how
              > many
              > feathers do you use?
              >

              > -- Pat
              >

              > L. Patrick of Avebury
              > Calafia
              > CAID
              >
              > Space/Time Art

              http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.ht
              ml
              > http://www.spacetimeart.com

              > list]
              >

              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 30, 2001
                > On Oct 30, Patrick Tolen illuminated with a virtual scribe :

                > For those of you who use target crossbows; what size bolt shaft (dia.
                > and length) do you use for what ft / lbs of prod power? And how many
                > feathers do you use?

                going with the theme that longer arrows are more stable in flight ... our
                local crossbowman has gone to extremes and is using 27" bolts. They look
                very wierd hanging of fthe end of his period crossbow, fly a fair bit
                slower than his normal bolts (whose length I do not know) but his accuracy
                is a little better.

                well why no? We'ere all nuts in our own way ;)
                Though I cannot imagine shooting bolts from a bow . . .

                ./Jp
                --
                Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
                jeanpaul@... || Thaumaturgy
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 31, 2001

                  Patrick Tolen wrote:

                  > "Bruce R. Gordon" wrote:
                  >

                  >> Greetings
                  >> I use 5/16th dia. shafts, 24 1/2 inches in length (quite a bit longer
                  >> than usual); they are 3-fletch types. My bow is slightly over 90 lbs.
                  >>
                  >> Cordially;
                  >> Fore4ster Nigel FitzMaurice
                  >>

                  > Hmmm . . . what is the draw length of your bow?
                  >

                  > -- Pat
                  >

                  > Space/Time Art
                  > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                  > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                • Scott Jaqua
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Please check out the crossbow bolt construction page on my web-site. The
                    direct link to that page is http://sjaqua.tripod.com/bolts.htm . That will
                    explain my theories on bolt construction. At least as they apply to period
                    style bows.

                    Njall

                    Scott B. Jaqua

                    SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

                    Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 31, 2001
                      Greetings
                      I've never noticed any problems with long distances. Generally, I don't
                      shoot anything beyond a standard 100 yd. clout, but during this past
                      Pennsic Champions shoot, there was a distance shoot at various marks in
                      excess of 100 yards, and I hit on most of the marks. I think I missed
                      once or twice, but that was because of poor aiming, not because my bolts
                      were too heavy.
                      Naturally, if I shot much shorter bolts, with 2 fletches intead of three,
                      they'd travel higher and farther at given aim points, and I'd have
                      adjust accordingly; but the range of my bow is far more a function of
                      it's poundage than it is of any characteristics of the ammunition. I
                      have a light poundage bow, so my range isn't terribly impressive, but I
                      have no difficulty at all with any shoot the SCA wants me to try, aside
                      from my own lack of skill.

                      Cordially;
                      Nigel

                      --
                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                    • Patrick Tolen
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 31, 2001
                        Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
                        many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .

                        Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

                      • cwilson@mhmh.org
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                          My crossbow has the same stats as Nigel's, here are my bolt stats:
                          5/16" Port Orford Cedar, 45-50#
                          21" length
                          (3) 5" parabolic feathers, straight-fletched

                          I am still learning to make my own bolts, with practice comes perfection.
                          I messed up some on my first batch and the front edge of the some of the
                          feathers curved, causing them to sit funny on my rail. It's no wonder my
                          highest score is only 112, my bolts were sitting funny. I took a craft
                          knife and cut off the offending bits and the bolts seem to fly more
                          consistently. I haven't shot a royal round since the bolt surgery, but I
                          did shoot a Vogulschutzen round of 120, so I did see some improvement.

                          In the future, I'm going to be testing 15" bolts (recycled recurve arrows
                          shafts) for long range shooting.

                          -Caedmon
                        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                            My turn.

                            Originally, I used 15" or so bolts ... 'halfbolts' so to speak. 2
                            fletch. I started having stabilization problems with them in my crossbow
                            though, even though I couldn't figure out WHAT exactly was causing the
                            problem. I was given some 'long bolts ... around 20" or so, dunno off
                            hand' by a good friend (Thanks Ragnar!) and they flew GREAT out of my
                            bow. Stabilized nicely after firing.

                            So now I'm using the 20" bolts.

                            I still have crossbow friends who use the 14/15"ers. And the shorter ones
                            work great, if you r bow is perfectly in tune. But the longer bolt puts
                            the feathers farther back, allowing it to stabilize easier if you are
                            developing a bit of a helicopter problem!

                            Siegfried

                            At 11:12 PM 10/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
                            > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
                            >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
                            >
                            > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel
                            > free!
                            >

                            >L. Patrick of Avebury
                            >Calafia
                            >CAID
                            >
                            >Pat
                            >

                            >Space/Time Art
                            >http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                            >http://www.spacetimeart.com

                            Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                          • Scott Jaqua
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                              Time for someone with short(ish) bolts to chime in. First off I shoot a Iolo
                              crossbow in the 65 lb range. The stock has a bolt groove, rather the a rest
                              sitting on the end of the shelf, as some do. From tip to butt, my bolts
                              measure about 13 inches. This length is just enough so that the point sits
                              just in front of the stock so the only thing touching the bolt groove is
                              bare shaft. All-in-all I get pretty consistent groups (and score) for a
                              period style bow. I almost always shoot in the low to mid 90s on a royal
                              round. Perfect ends at twenty and even thirty yards are not unknown to
                              happen.

                              My bolt construction technique and the reason behind what I do can be found
                              on my SCA web site.

                              Njall
                              Caid

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                                I use 5/16 shafts that are 16" long with 70 grain
                                tips, 2 2 inch fletches. I have tried heavier bolts but with my 82
                                lbs bow seem to be too heavy for targets over 30 yrds I have better
                                luck with the shorter bolts. I am just not sure why others crossbow
                                users get nice results with longer bolts. I think it may be the
                                drawing distance and less a poundage issue I only have about 6 inch
                                draw to the rolling nut.

                              • archer3@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                                  For my 62# I use 11/32 chundoo 3 fletch, 3 inch, standard 120°, 13 1/2
                                  inches long 100 grain tip, for my 150# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, 3 inch,
                                  standard 120°, 15 inches long, 125 grain tip, these are both open div,
                                  no sites, for the period 90# 11/32 chundoo, 3 fletch, tied only
                                  configured _I_, 3 inch, 14 inches long, 125 grain tip.

                                  Damian >>~~~>
                                • alberic
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                                    > Thanks for the responses on crossbow bolt lengths . . . I had no idea so
                                    >many of you were using bolts so much longer than the length of your bows . . .
                                    >
                                    > Any other crossbow archers out there who haven't chimed in yet, feel free!

                                    Patrick:

                                    Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                                    shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                                    (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
                                    crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
                                    damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
                                    There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)

                                    1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
                                    Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
                                    to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
                                    15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
                                    spray-painted dayglo orange.
                                    (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
                                    Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
                                    They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.

                                    The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
                                    exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
                                    so they fire very consistently.

                                    Cheers-
                                    Alberic, Isles.
                                    --
                                    ---
                                    The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                                      > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                                      > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                                      [...]

                                      We will NOT have a repeat of the arrow accident I posted about.

                                      No shooting of ladies allowed.

                                      -Caedmon

                                      *grin*
                                    • Patrick Tolen
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
                                        alberic wrote:

                                        > Patrick:
                                        >
                                        > Next time I bring one of the ladies to an event where I can actually
                                        > shoot them, I'll have my mutant lawn-darts with me.
                                        > (Gotta *love* Californian attitudes toward crossbows. An 80#
                                        > crossbow firing target points is clearly going to do *much* more
                                        > damage to a target than a compound bow firing broadheads. Sigh...
                                        > There's about 3-4 events a year where crossbows are even legal.)
                                        >
                                        > 1/2 and 5/8" pine shafting, 6" long.
                                        > Either 3 milled grooves as fletching, and/or turning along the shaft
                                        > to stabilize. Heads are custom machined, and of various weights from
                                        > 15 gm, to 250 gm. The only real constant is that they're all
                                        > spray-painted dayglo orange.
                                        > (So I have some prayer of finding the blessed things if I miss.)
                                        > Firing from a variety of bows, from 175# up to 250# currently, and #1000 soon.
                                        > They look very much like scaled down roman ballista bolts.
                                        >
                                        > The advantages are two: (A) air turbulence around a cylinder is
                                        > exponential with length. and (B) there's no way to muss the fletches,
                                        > so they fire very consistently.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers-
                                        > Alberic, Isles.

                                        Fascinating . . . what are the draw lengths of your bows?

                                      • aleksei1@juno.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                                          Presently I use 16" 40-45lb 11/32 Chundoo with 2 4" fletches and a
                                          tolerance of 2 grains off a 75lb period crossbow (war legal). I've had
                                          ok success with 100 gr. tip, but will probably return to 125's for the
                                          next batch.
                                          Aleksei Zateev
                                          AnTir
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                                            Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                                            have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                                            SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                                            unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                                            encouraging!

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 8, 2001
                                              >unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                                              >encouraging!

                                              Not at all.

                                              There are PLENTY of crossbow(wo)men not on this list.

                                              I can say that your 'typical' crossbowmen uses half-bolts (around 14"-16"
                                              in length) because they are cheap, and tend to fly 'ok'. The more
                                              'accuracy' prone people tend to start moving to longer bolts. Although
                                              many people stay at the shorter ones. As I said, I stayed with the shorter
                                              ones for a long time, until my bow started 'acting up' and needed the
                                              stability of the longer ones.

                                              There was one person shooting in the champions shoot ummmm, 2, maybe 3
                                              years ago who was using 5/16" shafts, with 2" fletches, on what had to be
                                              at MOST 10" bolts (they might have been 8") ... They were TINY. And he had
                                              a 125#+ prod.

                                              Yes, he knew that he was doing damage to his prod that way. Not enough
                                              mass to stop the prod from taking it's own force. semi-dry firing every
                                              time. But he got QUITE a flat trajectory with those things, and did pretty
                                              dern amazing at the roving range because of it. He had a flat aim to like
                                              60yds. He also had to replace prods often.

                                              Siegfried

                                              Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                                            • AMENSEYA@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                                                Greetings I have been shooting for several years and user a 15 inch bolt with
                                                a four fletch configuration. I have three crossbows all from New World
                                                Arbelist and each one has a 65 lb draw. I find that the normal two fletched
                                                bolt has a tendency to wobble over a distance while the four fletch spins.
                                                My bolts are 5/16 and the feathers are three inches long.

                                                I make my own bolts, getting two dozen for the cost of having a dozen custom
                                                made at an archery shop. I use full shaft cutting them in half in the middle.
                                                This way I have perfect end caps.

                                                --o-- __I__ __V__
                                                Two Three Four

                                                Lord Donato Pulcinella OW, APF

                                                "Che Guardare il Guardia"

                                              • Jack Bradley
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 9, 2001
                                                  So I'll through in my 2 cents
                                                  11/32 19.5" with 125 field tips 3 fletch 2 for speed rounds (although I think
                                                  I'll use 2 for everything can't see much deference )
                                                  So where did I come up with the perfect length of 19.5 " The tool I cut the
                                                  track in my bow moves 18.5 this leaves the bolt in the track with the tip off the
                                                  wood
                                                  Ragnar two axe

                                                  Patrick Tolen wrote:

                                                  > Anyone else have any imput on their crossbow bolt length? The ones who
                                                  > have responded have been greatly appreciated, but compared to the number of
                                                  > SCA Archers who should be on the list I find it a rather small sampling . . .
                                                  > unless they ARE most of the SCA crossbowers, in which case I find it most
                                                  > encouraging!
                                                  >
                                                  > L. Patrick of Avebury
                                                  > Calafia
                                                  > CAID
                                                  >
                                                  > -- Pat
                                                  >
                                                  > Space/Time Art
                                                  > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2710/galleries/GalleryLobby.html
                                                  > http://www.spacetimeart.com

                                                • James Pratt
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                                                    For the crossbows I build I use the longer 20-22 inch bolts. I started
                                                    with "half" lenght bolts but moved quickly to the longer ones for more
                                                    accurace. On the next bow, that I can keep to play with, I will work on
                                                    tunning it with short fletchless bolts then go to the longer one and see how
                                                    that works.

                                                    James Cunningham

                                                  • banzhof@dnaco.net
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 13, 2001
                                                      I shoot a Cunningham top lever @ 120lb, Gladius prod; my bolts are 11/32
                                                      cedar, 55-60lb spine, 21 inches long, 5" streight three fletch-120 degree,
                                                      with a 125 grain tip. I have been working on 15" bolts for long range
                                                      shooting.

                                                      Alan of Caerlaverock
                                                    • Hugh Wayne Morris
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 28, 2001
                                                        For my 67 pound crossbow I use 5/16 shafts that are 16" long with 70 grain
                                                        tips, 3 four inch fletches.
                                                        For the 150 pounder I use 11/32 shafts 17" long with 160 grain tips, 3 four
                                                        inch fletches.
                                                        Loric