other types of crossbows?

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
      Has anyone tried to construct and operate other types of crossbows from
      other countries? Crossbows like the Vietnamese Crossbow, or an early
      english/french crossbow that had a large wooden prod instead of steel.

      -Caedmon
    • AMENSEYA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
        Greetings As to your request about other styles of crossbows been made. At
        the War two years ago I purchased parts for a Double Barrel Chinese Repeating
        Crossbow. In was in a box all in parts including bolts. (You know how a kid
        half finishes a model car then throws it away.)

        I have been working on it off and on since then. I had to totaly rebuild
        every thing except the upper magazine. The only guides I've had to work with
        is Payne-Galloway's book and a couple of other out of print crossbow books
        from my private collection.

        Many years ago at Pennsic there was a gentleman who had a couple of the
        repeating crossbow but said they where very expensive and time consuming to
        make.

        I also hope to make a small stone bow someday using the Whamo prod from their
        small toy dart shooting crossbow. I believe Master Iolo use to make them but
        stopped becuase they are very dangerous to shoot.

        I hope this has answered your questions.

        Lord Donato Pulcinella OW,APF

        Che Guardare il Guardia

      • Michael Scherrer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
          Also, would anyone have plans for an early english/french design???
          Need to make one for a lady. Have a 85# prod..

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
            Greetings,

            Alchem has a wonderful set of plans on-line at
            http://www.alcheminc.com/. This is very close to the early Northern
            European designs. I make my crossbows with 75 to 85 pound prods. I
            adjust the depth of the prod notch to ensure the 600 inch pound
            guideline is not exceeded.

            a simple string release. The string was pulled back and trapped in a
            groove cut into the tiller. Under the string, a tapered plug of wood
            was seated which extended through the tiller to the trigger. When the
            trigger was squeezed, the plug moved up which forced the string out of
            the groove which engaged the bolt. The "Fellwalker Crossbow" uses this
            design.

            YIS

            Deicyn Moel

            http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp