October IKAC report

  • detomamd@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2001
      Greetings from Lord Lorenzo il Confuso, Keeper of the IKAC.

      NOTE: This report is generated for the Internet archery audience. The
      report that will be printed in the Kingdom newsletters may have less
      information, or concentrate on information specific to each Kingdom.

      NOTE 2: Because of new restrictions at my work, my access to hotmail
      and yahoo has become quite infrequent. For fastest communications with
      me, please use the ikac@... address, which I check several
      times a day.

      NOTE 3: We are looking for period shoots to include in an upcoming
      Complete Anachronist! Please help us in this important endeavor. If
      you have a shoot that you know or believe is period, please send it to
      shoots@.... Thanks in advance for your help!

      The standings as of 20 October are as follows:

      IKAC Open Division
      --------------------------
      1. EAST: 291; Lorenzo il Confuso: 331; Rupert the Unbalanced: 291;
      Aaron the Arrowsmith: 251.
      2. AN TIR: 289; Eric McLost: 305; Andras the Truemark: 284; Geoffrei
      FitzGeorge: 278.
      3. MIDREALM: 266; Grant Graeme de Menteith: 272; Robert Thorne: 271;
      James Cunningham: 255.
      4. CALONTIR: 257.3; Leif of Crescent Moon: 274; Daniel Arrownock: 263;
      Owen apHowell: 235.
      5. ANSTEORRA: 238; Sebastian Frobishire: 262; Robert of Yorkshire:
      235; Fearghus McKenna: 217.
      6. OUTLANDS: 230.7; Hiro: 250; Larke the Fletcher: 237; Ian Lindsey
      MacRae: 205.
      7. EALDORMERE: 224.7; Dafydd ap Sion: 317; Ular Van der Nederlander:
      211; Gaerwen of Tradford: 94.
      8. ATLANTIA: 222; Gregge the Archer: 237; Mika Longbow: 225; Ignacio
      Erensaurlezelasgarria: 204.
      9. AETHELMEARC: 212.7; Connor Bowsplitter: 330; Gwilym o'r Afonydd
      Tair: 155; Thomas of Bearwoods: 153;
      10. WEST: 212; Wee Brusi: 228; Josi de la Tour: 213; Bart the Black:
      195.
      11. ATENVELDT: 209.7; Edward of Cornwall: 236; Duncan: 204; Manfred
      Uhtric: 189.
      12. TRIMARIS: 205.3; Erika Bjornsdottir: 235; Crevan of Leinster: 207;
      Mar of Unst: 174.
      13. ARTEMISIA: 200.7; Michael the Loud: 265; Owen apHowell: 197;
      Godwin Fitzgilbert: 140.
      14. CAID: 173; Thomas Blackkeep: 222; Hobb Calvin: 176; James of the
      Lake: 121.
      15. DRACHENWALD: 136; Owen Iskander: 185; Deredere Galbraith Iskander:
      114; Thomas von Kinzwirle: 109;
      16. MERIDIES: 123.7; David Luebke: 145; Erikir Bjarnyer: 127; Kazetani
      Kiyotora: 99;

      IKAC Open Crossbow Division
      --------------------------------------
      1. MIDREALM: 351.3; Robert Thorne: 366; Fritz Bare: 362; Alan of
      Caerlaverock: 326.
      2. ATLANTIA: 263; Mika Longbow: 292; Siegfried Sebastian Faust: 272;
      Gregge the Archer: 225.
      3. AN TIR: 225; Bjorn Kolbjornsson: 235; Loric MacLoughlin: 228;
      Seamus MacGregor: 212.
      4. ANSTEORRA: 188.6; Agnarr Thorvaldsson: 231; Roger Bagley: 171;
      Stephen
      Blackthorne: 164.
      5. ARTEMISIA: 160.7; Duncan Walensis: 203; Arwen DeRedver: 199;
      Maletta MacKessok: 80.
      6. OUTLANDS: 150.7; Eric Morrison: 166; Daffyd of Emmett: 160;
      Conchobhar O'Loinseachain: 126;
      7. WEST: no average; Koranada Tomadashi: 252; Abner de Plunkett: 164.
      8. AETHELMEARC: no average; Caleb Reynolds: 224.
      9. CALONTIR: no average; Michael vanBergen: 195.
      10. TRIMARIS: Ian Ferghuis: 170;
      11. ATENVELDT: no average; Brenna Maggaie of Kintyre: 34;

      IKAC Period Division
      ---------------------------
      1. AN TIR: 220.7; Loric MacLoughlin: 246; Andras the Truemark: 238;
      Jared: 178.
      2. ANSTEORRA: 207.3; Robert of Yorkshire: 226; Agnarr Thorvaldsson:
      218; Sebastian Frobishire: 178.
      3. OUTLANDS: 170.7; Rand the Tracker: 222; Meadhbh Daingen Int Sleb:
      148; Augustus the Piper: 142.
      4. WEST: 149.7; Josi de La Tour: 224; Abner de Plunkett: 140;
      Sebastian Greenbow: 85.
      5. CALONTIR: 126; Michael VanBergen: 180; Kezia von Holzenhaus: 108;
      Stephen O'Bannon: 90.
      6. EALDORMERE: 78.0; Wilifred of Swelfingham: 96; Jhone of Woodcote:
      76; Nellie Slacke: 62;
      7. ARTEMISIA: 62.7; Callum Lamond: 74; Magnus Slembidjakn: 72; Duncan
      Walensis: 42;
      8. MIDREALM: no average; Grant Graeme de Menteith: 228; Robert Thorne:
      208;
      9. ATENVELDT: no average; Duncan: 114; Phil: 94.
      10. ATLANTIA: no average; Gregge the Archer: 126;

      IKAC Period Crossbow Division
      1. Robert Thorne: 364; 2. Alan of Caerlaverock: 328; 3; James
      Cunningham: 304.

      IKCAC
      ---------
      1. ANSTEORRA: 260.7; Agnar Thorlvadsson: 269, Gilbert Ost Westley:
      265, Roger Bagley: 248.
      2. MIDREALM: 252.3; Fritz Bare: 317; Grant Graeme de Menteith: 260;
      Eve Stoneheart: 180;
      3. WEST: 197; Karius of Lochford: 249; William Cumyn: 218; Rhiannon
      Igen Cu Dub: 124.
      4. AN TIR: 165.7; Deicyn Moel: 181; Andras Truemark: 161; Morgan
      Murray of Atholl: 155.
      5. ATLANTIA: 122; Steafan O'Reilly: 148; Zita Dominguez: 116; Mika
      Longbow: 102.
      6. CAID: 101.3 ; Richard Surefoot: 120; Morgan the Fellwalker: 97;
      Simon the Virtuous: 87;
      7. CALONTIR: no average; Alyoneus du Battenhelm: 132;

      Complete rules, score sheets, target pictures, links to target
      suppliers and the top scores for each archer are available from the
      IKAC web site at http://www.detommaso.org/ikac

      Shoot well!
      - Lorenzo (ikac@...)
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
        A 'Has anyone else tried this?" question.

        I'm getting ready to make a few more crossbows for some friends, and had a
        thought.

        The general rule on rolling nuts that I was taught was that wood was ok for
        low poundage bows (70/80/90) ... but that when you hit triple digits, you
        need something stronger, such as Delrin (or steel/brass/etc). Because the
        wood can't take the strain, and the fingers of the nut will break off.

        I had a thought though, has anyone tried still using a hardwood dowel rod
        (oak) for the nut, but then similar to the method of reinforcing the sear
        by inserting a metal rod, do the same for the fingers? To actually drill a
        small hole in the center of each finger, going down into the body of the
        nut, let's say 3/16" size, then screw into this a piece of threaded 3/16"
        stainless steel rod, cut it off, grind it down, etc. Wouldn't this
        reinforce the fingers, without giving you much extra weight, and still give
        you the look/feel of a wooden nut. (Yeah, Delrin looks sorta like horn,
        but not really).

        I wouldn't try this on anything over 120# ... But does anyone have any
        reasons this wouldn't work?

        Siegfried

        Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
      • cwilson@mhmh.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
          Who you calling a nut?

          Oh...you mean the roller nut...ah. So much clearer now.

          *grin*

          -Caedmon
        • Scott Jaqua
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
            While I haven't reinforced the wood nut. I do make a slightly stronger
            wood nut. I do this by paying attention to the wood grain. I "upset" the
            grain when I turn the nut. That is I make a nut with the grain running up
            through the fingers instead of across them.
            If you make the nut from an oak dowel or some other dowel, the grain
            runs across the fingers. It makes it so the end grain is visible on the
            sides of the nut. The cross grain on the fingers creates a weakness.
            I start by using 8/4 (2") hardwood stock. I cross cut (not rip) the
            board to create a short 2x2 billet. I then turn this billet on a machinists
            lathe. I cut the nut to length off of the turned stock. I then cut the shelf
            and fingers on a mill with the grain running up and down.

            Hope that helps

            Njall

            Scott B. Jaqua

            SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

            Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
          • Sam Cohen
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
              Look here Caedom, I have seen you with your crossbow and you
              definatly fit this term :-)

              Demetrious
              Who is saying this cause he really whishes his crossbow hadn;t
              been stolen a year ago.

              Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

              list]

            • Chad Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
                --- Sam Cohen <saintelmo.1@...> wrote:

                > Look here Caedom, I have seen you with your crossbow and you
                > definatly fit this term :-)

                > Demetrious
                > Who is saying this cause he really whishes his crossbow hadn;t
                > been stolen a year ago.

                A whole year, and you haven't bought a new one? Someone people just love to
                complain.

                *grin*

                -Caedmon

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • eulenhorst@juno.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
                  I would worry about this leaving even less wood in the fingers and
                  allowing them to break off leaving the pins exposed. While this
                  would probably be safe initially, I question the accuracy of the shot
                  and the continued safety of the nut.

                  Carolus von Eulenhorst

                  --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@b...>
                  wrote:
                  > A 'Has anyone else tried this?" question.
                  >
                  > I'm getting ready to make a few more crossbows for some friends,
                  and had a
                  > thought.
                  >
                  > The general rule on rolling nuts that I was taught was that wood
                  was ok for
                  > low poundage bows (70/80/90) ... but that when you hit triple
                  digits, you
                  > need something stronger, such as Delrin (or steel/brass/etc).
                  Because the
                  > wood can't take the strain, and the fingers of the nut will break
                  off.

                  > I had a thought though, has anyone tried still using a hardwood
                  dowel rod
                  > (oak) for the nut, but then similar to the method of reinforcing
                  the sear
                  > by inserting a metal rod, do the same for the fingers? To actually
                  drill a
                  > small hole in the center of each finger, going down into the body
                  of the
                  > nut, let's say 3/16" size, then screw into this a piece of threaded
                  3/16"
                  > stainless steel rod, cut it off, grind it down, etc. Wouldn't this
                  > reinforce the fingers, without giving you much extra weight, and
                  still give
                  > you the look/feel of a wooden nut. (Yeah, Delrin looks sorta like
                  horn,
                  > but not really).
                  >
                  > I wouldn't try this on anything over 120# ... But does anyone have
                  any
                  > reasons this wouldn't work?
                  >
                  > Siegfried

                  ___
                  > Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery
                  Marshal
                  > Barony of Highland Foorde http://highland-
                  foorde.atlantia.sca.org/
                • Sam Cohen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
                    I have one on order, but the person making it has said that he
                    will not be able to get to it till this winter. In the meantime
                    I find it fun to pester you LOL

                    Demetrious

                  • alberic
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 25, 2001
                      Seigfreid:

                      I've not tried to reinforce wood, being rather partial to delrin's
                      refusal to care about local humidity, but I seem to recall seeing
                      period horn nuts that were reinforced in a similar fashion. If you
                      follow Njall's excellent suggestion about cutting your nuts out of
                      boards, rather than dowels, and *then* reinforce them, you should be
                      fine.
                      (Actually, for anything under 120#, you should be fine doing it that
                      way without reinforcing it.) Wood is surprisingly strong, all things
                      considered.

                      As always, *test*!!!

                      FWIW
                      Alberic.
                      --
                      ---
                      The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 26, 2001
                        Try soaking the wooden nut in a solution of 1 part carpenter's glue to 2
                        parts water with a couple drops of dis washing detergent added. This
                        will penetrate and bind the wood fibres making the unit much stronger.
                        In service to the dream,
                        Carolus von Eulenhorst
                        eulenhorst@...

                        On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:37:38 -0700 alberic <ALBERIC@...>
                        writes:
                        >Seigfreid:
                        >
                        >I've not tried to reinforce wood, being rather partial to delrin's
                        >refusal to care about local humidity, but I seem to recall seeing
                        >period horn nuts that were reinforced in a similar fashion. If you
                        >follow Njall's excellent suggestion about cutting your nuts out of
                        >boards, rather than dowels, and *then* reinforce them, you should be
                        >fine.
                        >(Actually, for anything under 120#, you should be fine doing it that
                        >way without reinforcing it.) Wood is surprisingly strong, all things
                        >considered.
                        >
                        >As always, *test*!!!
                        >
                        >FWIW
                        >Alberic.
                        >--
                        >---
                        >The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
                        >to control the world. The cynic fears they already have.

                        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      • Scott Jaqua
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 26, 2001
                          From: "alberic" <ALBERIC@...>

                          > Seigfreid:
                          >
                          > I've not tried to reinforce wood, being rather partial to delrin's
                          > refusal to care about local humidity, (snip)
                          > Alberic.

                          This problem is dead easy to solve with wood nuts. Every crossbow with a
                          wood nut that passes thru my hands gets the same treatment. I pop the nut
                          out and take it to the stove. Where I drop it in a molten wax pot that is
                          kept at a temperature just short of burning the wax. The molten wax
                          penetrates the wood and drives all the air out. It also seals the wood
                          tight, from any changes in humidity. After removing the nut from the wax,
                          let it cool and then buff all the surface wax off the nut.

                          Njall

                          Scott B. Jaqua

                          SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

                          Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
                        • Mike Hornbaker
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 29, 2001
                            On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:36:01 -0000 detomamd@... writes:
> [...]
                            > ---------
                            > 1. ANSTEORRA: 260.7; Agnar Thorlvadsson: 269, Gilbert Ost Westley:
                            > 265, Roger Bagley: 248.
                            > 2. MIDREALM: 252.3; Fritz Bare: 317; Grant Graeme de Menteith: 260;
                            > Eve Stoneheart: 180;
                            > 3. WEST: 197; Karius of Lochford: 249; William Cumyn: 218; Rhiannon
                            > Igen Cu Dub: 124.
                            > 4. AN TIR: 165.7; Deicyn Moel: 181; Andras Truemark: 161; Morgan
                            > Murray of Atholl: 155.
                            > 5. ATLANTIA: 122; Steafan O'Reilly: 148; Zita Dominguez: 116; Mika
                            > Longbow: 102.
                            > 6. CAID: 101.3 ; Richard Surefoot: 120; Morgan the Fellwalker: 97;
                            > Simon the Virtuous: 87;
                            > 7. CALONTIR: no average; Alyoneus du Battenhelm: 132;
                            >

                            > Complete rules, score sheets, target pictures, links to target
                            > suppliers and the top scores for each archer are available from the

                          • James Pratt
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
                              This is a late reply but if you cut the nut with the grain runing parallel
                              with the fingers. (like a plug cut by a hole saw) it should hold up to
                              150-200 pound prod. As long as the nut is NOT mounted on an axel. The oak
                              dow has the grain running across the fingers and should be good till 90 lbs.

                              James Cunningham