Book purchase

  • Brokk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 1999
      Phew!

      Finally I'm done with my book purchase (complete list below).
      I want to thank all of you who has supplied me with comments on books,
      editions, reviews etc.
      Your opinions gave me some valuable information.

      One thing really struck me as odd though.....

      When comparing Barnes&Nobles edition of Herbert Norris' 'Medieval Costume
      And Fashion' to the one sold by Amazon UK I discovered the following:
      Barnes and Noble states:
      published july -99 (IIRC), paperback 485 pages
      Amazon UK states:
      This title is not available yet, it will be sent to you ASAP. Published 30
      september -99, paperback 528 pages.

      Here comes the twist:
      The ISBN numbers are identical, which suggests the same edition but how come
      the # of pages differ to such an extent (9% more for the Amazon copy)?
      To top it off Amazon had a review of the book that seemed to belong to the
      new edition. A bit strange if it isn't available yet.

      Anyone out there with a good theory/explanation ?

      List of books:

      Archery:
      Longbow, A Social And Military History (3rd ed IIRC), R. Hardy
      Toxophilus 1545, R. Ascham
      The Medieval Archer, J. Bradbury
      The Flat Bow, H. Metz

      Brewing:
      Brewing Mead, Lt. Col. Gayre et al
      A Sip Through Time, C. Renfrow

      Cooking/Food:
      A Second Handbook Of Anglosaxon Food And Drink, A. Hagen
      Platina: On Right Pleasure And Good Health, M. E. Milham
      Traditional Food From Wales, B. Freeman
      Take A Thousand Eggs Or More 2nd ed, C. Renfrow
      Apicius Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome, J. D. Vehling
      Curye On Inglysch, C. B. Hieatt & S. Butler.

      Misc:
      The Hundred Years War, C. Allmand
      The Ancient World Of The Celts, P. B. Ellis
      The Vikings, E. Roesdahl
      20,000 Years of Fashion : The History of Costume and Personal Adornment, F.
      L. Boucher & Y. Deslandres
      Medieval Costume, H. Norris

      Angus MacIomhair, who's got a few hours of reading in front of him.