Re: the Proposal

  • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 1999
      >I do like the true to your persona, but then that would rule out a
      >Scottish Gael shooting a turkish bow wouldn't it? Which I am not sure if I
      >like. Let me think about it for a while, and I will try and remember to
      >respond. :-)

      That would be a reason to have differing levels as a psuedo
      ranking system .....
      ....to recongnize those that try to "reach everything being
      correct as one big package".

      Conal
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 1999
        I am a northern Slav, with Norse heritage.

        I shoot various kinds of gear, and I enjoy making complete kits for each archer
        that I 'create'

        I have a complete 16th century Italian Federation kit (with the extra long
        crossbow and all), a Persian kit, a Welsh kit, working on a Norse kit, etc.

        You shouldn't hold people to their personnas as much as you should ask that the
        components the archer uses fit together properly.

        It is my goal one day to be able to show up on the range at Pennsic and shoot
        the entire war as a different archer personna every day, without repeats.

        just my 2 cents worth

        Kaz
      • Robert L Brunnemer
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 1999
          Hallo!!!

          I would have to agree with Master Kaz here. Really as long as the garb
          is "authentic" then it shouldn't matter that much. Really if it is good
          enough for Master Kaz, who got his Laurel from archery then it is good
          enough for me. :-)

          Have a nice day!!!
          Robert
          Hugewheels@...
          Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

        • Keith Hood
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 17, 1999

            >I do like the true to your persona, but then that would rule out a
            >Scottish Gael shooting a turkish bow wouldn't it?

            Of course not. If ancient archers met under peaceful conditions, I
            gaurantee you they'd want to try out each others' gear. Shop talk is shop
            talk in any age. <G>

            I have read accounts of such things in the Middle East, mostly during the
            period of the Crusades, when actual fighting wasn't going on. When their
            were treaty conferences or trade days going on people might set up impromptu
            contests. Under such circumstances it would be unnatural if people didn't
            swap equipment for a while.

            Tomonaga

            --
            A long bow and a strong bow,
            And let the sky grow dark.

            -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
            By Robert E. Howard, who should be
            the patron saint of Ansteorra