Standards and the SCA

  • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 1999

      >Kaz I think that you might have miss-understood Conal's statement. When
      >he said "
      >
      ><<< There is nothing wrong with holding yourself to a higher
      > > standard...
      > > ...so long as you do not look down on other with DIFFERENT
      > > ( but not necessarily lower )standards.">>>
      >
      >I think that what he was saying was that it is ok to have a group like this
      >that is a bit more restrictive then the main group of archers. But because
      >you have that higher standard you shouldn't look "down" on the other
      >people, because it is all our duty to enjoy the SCA the way we see fit.
      >And even if that isn't what he meant that is what I like, and will continue
      >to think even if he says I am wrong. :-) But thanks for the compliments!
      >You can never hear enough of those. :-)

      What I'm saying is
      Your personal standards are YOUR personal standards
      They are the standards that you hold YOURSELF to.
      These standards can be ANYTHING you wish them to be.

      These standards can be the same as someone else's or NOT.
      ( key point in this discussion )

      They can be high standards. ( honor, loyality, effort )
      They can be VERY high standards. ( I want 100% correct )
      they can be simple standards ( I'm here to have fun, that's it )

      You should not apply your standards to anyone else,
      or look down on those with different standards.

      The best you can do is hope to inspire the same in others
      by example. ( Gosh, that looks neat... )

      Wanting to "better" yourself is fine as long as you do
      not look down at others because they have different goals.

      In a wierd way the more effort you put into your "presence"
      in the SCA the more fun the game becomes for those around you.
      You make it easier to temporalily forget that this is a game
      by looking the part. So long as you do not try to ram your
      point of view down someone else's throat....Remember that
      this is a volunteer organization, everyone does what they
      want to do ( within the SCA's guidlines )because they want
      to do it.

      Most like the way the Authenticity Nazi's look, it's when
      they get nasty about someone being "not period" that it
      becomes annoying

      To be honest I'm not sure that I would "qualify" for the
      Company if it ended up with the guidelines that I think
      would be appropriate. I'm interested but I'm not quite to
      the level of periodness I would like to be on the archery
      range. ( right now I'm working on armor... )

      Conal O'hAirt