[Fwd: SCA bowyer info needed]

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2001
      Could this request be passed on to your kingdom and local archery
      officers.
      They may have knowledge of such bowyers. I no longer have a current list
      of
      kingdom archery officers.

      This was also sent to the Rialto.

      I am trying to put together a current list of SCA bowyers that make
      period style longbows, recurves and crossbows. I would like to have
      information on: What type of bow or bows they make and any other
      information relating to the bows. Their kingdom. Their mundane and
      society name, address, phone number and email and web site if they have
      any. ( you can email me their contact information so that it will not go
      out on the list).

      Along with those that make period style equipment, I would also like to
      know of anyone that teaches how to make period style equipment. The same
      information is needed for them as well.

      This information will be compiled and will be made available through the
      Society Archery Marshal and the kingdom archery officers to anyone that
      is interested.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
    • Susan Kell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2001
        I would highly recommend:
        Silver Arrow Archery
        106 Fordway Ext.
        Derry, NH 03038
        603-434-0569
        fax: 603-434-4440
        email: silverarrow@...
        www.silverarrowarchery.com
        Bob Holzhauser runs a traditional-only shop, offering handbows by many
        makers including himself. He also provides bow-making classes. Bob's "off
        the rack" arrows are pretty good, and Li & I frequently recommend people go
        to him -- especially when we are too busy to take on another custom
        fletching order.
        -- Ygraine

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2001
          Ygraine,

          I second this recommendation. When I was still shooting in the Barony of
          Carolingia, I purchased a custom cherry Mahaska 34# @ 28" from Bob
          Holzhauser. I am still happily shooting it seven years later in the
          Principality of Avacal. He is an excellent source of information, as well
          as archery equipment. :)

          Bryn ap Rhys
          Captain of Archers, Shire of Cold Keep