bow making

  • Meauw@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15 8:32 PM
      Hi List
      Well, I have found a local bowyer that makes historically accurate bows and
      other equipment. He happens to be a former co-worker of my husband and has
      invited us over to his home to make long bows with him! He said that all we
      have to do is buy the wood stave and he will show us how to do the rest. All
      the equipment he makes uses only the wood, glues, ect, that was available to
      the bowyer in the historic time and style he is building. To say we are
      excited about this is an understatement. We plan to do this in December when
      all three of us are on vacation(lucky timing), probably the weekend before
      Christmas is when this project will be started. I will keep you updated once
      the project is started as to what the process is.
      Best Regards,
      Lisa
    • stephanie
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
        Hello, I'm new to the SCA and was wondering if there is anyone in the Barony of northkeep (in Ansteorra) that teaches bow making?
      • Frank Schalles
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
          Stephanie,

          I have some experience in making flat bows. Email me privately. I should be
          at Wiesenfeurer Baronial next month and we can have a chat if you attend.

          Francois de Lions

          On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM, stephanie <chimericalgirl@...> wrote:
          Hello, I'm new to the SCA and was wondering if there is anyone in the Barony of northkeep (in Ansteorra) that teaches bow making?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • stephanie porter
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
            Thank you so much for emailing me! I will not be able to make it to Wiesenfeurer Baronial unfortunately. Will you be at the Castellan in may?

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
              greetings

              that would be " sort of " , we have 2 possibly 3 people currently making bows . but i'm not sure we qualify as " professionals " : )

              there is also a nearby , upcoming event  with bowmaking, as well as some other primitive living skills going on over spring break : )

              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur
              Hello, I'm new to the SCA and was wondering if there is anyone in the Barony of northkeep (in Ansteorra) that teaches bow making?

              No virus found in this message.
              Internal Virus Database is out of date.

            • Ld.blackmoon
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013

                greetings

                at least one of the local bowyers will be there  ( Castellan )  = )

                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                Arthur

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Thank you so much!! I was reading about the Castellan online and I really look forward to going. Will you be at fighter practice on the 20th at vfw?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                    greetings

                    Castellan is always a blast , lots of room, lots of activities, lots of good food, lots of good people = )

                     unfortunately, no, that is the early on day for OJAM  out close to Stillwater .  www.ojam.org  , setting up the tools , and the pavilion roofs so that people stay un sun burnt, and dry , maybe helping set up the 3d woods walk targets, etc.
                    starting Thursday,  I'll actually be making kids rattan bows, working on a couple laminate bows  ( bamboo backed epay, and hopefully a new bamboo backed Osage  : ), and just having general fun , until Sunday when I return in time for missile practice on the 24th ... I hope   : )

                    Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                    Arthur

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Replied to privately.