Makers of Xbows and longbows?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
      Would anyone that has the names and addresses, snail and email, of
      makers of medieval style longbows or crossbows, please post them to the
      list? A short description of what they make would also be most helpful.

      I will put them all together and post a listing of them. It will also go
      to the SAM for his use and to the kingdom archery officers.

      Jon
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
        At 05:27 PM 10/2/2001 -0700, John Edgerton wrote:
        >Would anyone that has the names and addresses, snail and email, of
        >makers of medieval style longbows or crossbows, please post them to the
        >list? A short description of what they make would also be most helpful.

        Reposting this since the question was reposted ... below was my previous
        answer to Crossbows:

        --- Answer Below ---
        Iolo's email is: crossbow@... and/or iolo@... ... Send to
        both of them, and one will reach him.

        I have made a few myself, and am just beginning making them for others ...
        but anyway: eliwhite@...

        Also, the guy who runs Meric Archery makes a fair bit of crossbows (sorry,
        I'm blanking on his name) but his email is: meric@...

        Master Ailean has made PLENTY, although is in 'semi-retirement', email is:
        AGPitts@...

        Master Fritz Bare is a great maker ... email seems to be:
        f.klecka@...

        There is a great maker of crossbow, combat in particular, in AEthlemarc ...
        and I can't remember his name for the life of me. When he fights he wears a
        crusaders tabard ... someone help me out?
        --- End Answer ---

        Siegfried

        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
      • alberic
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
          >Would anyone that has the names and addresses, snail and email, of
          >makers of medieval style longbows or crossbows, please post them to the
          >list? A short description of what they make would also be most helpful.
          >
          >I will put them all together and post a listing of them. It will also go
          >to the SAM for his use and to the kingdom archery officers.
          >
          >Jon

          Jon:

          I can only speak for myself, and I only make crossbows.
          Alberic Kentigern, (MKA Brian Meek) Alberic@...
          Snail mail:probably going to change soon.
          I don't typically do large production runs, I do custom bows, usually
          oddball stuff, either with *lots* of metalwork or other oddities, or
          very high poundages. Strictly custom/commission work. I sometimes
          sell sub-assembly units, such as delrin/UHMW nut & block sets, or
          fletchless bolts, but that is strictly as I have time to make them.

          Cheers-
          Alberic
          --
          ---
          The paranoid fears that there is a dark, evil conspiracy attempting
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/2/01 8:36:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            sirjon1@... writes:

            > Would anyone that has the names and addresses, snail and email, of
            > makers of medieval style longbows or crossbows,

            Try woodbows.com. They make English, American, and American Indian style bows.
            The price is 99 dollars + shipping. The bows are single limb and linen back.
            They range up to 50# pull. I have never tried their product, but they do seem
            to be reasonable priced.

            Howard

          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
              Sir Jon,
                          I don't know if you know this good
              gentle or not, but he made me a bow last year. Lemonwood with hickory
              back, horn nocked D section that works entirely through the handle. It
              is made to the finished quality of my old Don Adams (which I wish I
              still had and can't afford to replace) The Steve Ralphs is 93#@ 28" and
              it shoots like a good dream. He is very amicable and SCA friendly, he
              belongs to a history recreation group in UK. A number of East Kingdom
              archers have ordered from him after seeing my bow. I had him make me his
              top-of-the-line with the extra weight and length (it's 76" long) with
              the exchange rate and the shipping it came to about $300.00+ US. A lot
              better than the $1200.00 for a new one from Don Adams.(pricewise, that
              is, although Steve's quality is up there.) Respectfully,
              Lord Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood
              Included Page: Steve Ralphs, The Bow and Arrow Man

            • John Edgerton
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
                Whoops! I need to reword my post. I am looking for names of SCA makers of
                crossbows and longbows at this time. However, reconmendations for mundane makers
                will also be taken and listed.

                Thanks

                Jon