arrow materials

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
      DER BARON wrote:
      >there were bambo fishing rods that were hand
      >made in 6 or 8 wedges and glued together

      Thanks, Talmon, but I was already aware of the wedge shaped
      pieces of bamboo used to make fishing rods. That was one of
      the things that inspired my question. I even tried that
      once, but I found I don't have the skill to make the almost
      perfect wedges required. I was thinking that rattan could be
      split and shaped without the extra effort of laminating it
      into a single shaft from 6 or 8 pieces. However, Cinder over
      on the Missile Combat list wrote that it is too flexible for
      shafts. At least for combat. Now, I'm thinking that if this
      is true, maybe the laminating of it like is done with bamboo
      wedges might increase it's stiffness. But again, I don't
      have that skill.

      And thanks also, Tailear, for your post about bamboo arrows.
      That is another option. There is a website about bamboo
      arrow making I just checked out today. The URL for those
      interested is http://www.bambooarrow.com/arrow.html, but be
      aware, it is slow loading and has almost no text. What it
      does have are lots of pictures. Hence the slow loading. I am
      glad to find out that bamboo is high spine weight. That is
      exactly what I need. Extra long arrows with high spine
      weight. I would not object to 100# spine, or more. And I can
      use a larger diameter shaft than 3/8" if needed. Even as
      much as 1/2" if that is what it takes. When we are talking
      45" long arrows (or longer) with a 700 grain or heavier
      bodkin type point (or other equally heavy designs), the
      effective spine is going to go way down from the actual
      spine. These are not JUST for shooting from a bow. I am also
      looking for shafts for atlatl darts.

      YIS
      Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
      http://www.spider-strands.com
      Editor, Bodkin and Bolt Magazine
      http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin
      APD TEST Site
      http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm
    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
        ::snippage::
        These are not JUST for shooting from a bow. I am also
        > looking for shafts for atlatl darts.
        >
        > YIS
        > Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
        > http://www.spider-strands.com
        > Editor, Bodkin and Bolt Magazine
        > http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin
        > APD TEST Site
        > http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm

        Ahh, you should have mentioned atlatl darts were one of your
        interests. 6' garden bamboo stakes can be made into pretty good
        darts but many of us in the California Atlatl Assoc. use Phragmities
        reed that we find locally in great abundance. This reed has the
        right amount of flex and throws very well. Another advantage of it
        is its very cheap cost. I don't cry when I break a dart because it
        was so easy and cheap to make.

        The link you posted about the Bamboo Arrow Society is a good
        resource. Thomas Duvernay has put a lot of work into getting bamboo
        arrow freaks together.

        Just out of curiosity, what are you shooting that requires such large
        arrows?

        Also, if you'll by any chance be at Great Western War this coming
        week stop by my booth and see me. I'll probably have some atlatl
        stuff there as the Phragmities reed grows in that area like a weed.
        I'll also have some bamboo arrows and will be happy to talk about
        them.

        Taillear
      • CaidViking@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
          In a message dated 9/30/01 12:10:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          greytaylor@... writes:

          > Also, if you'll by any chance be at Great Western War this coming
          > week stop by my booth and see me. I'll probably have some atlatl
          > stuff there as the Phragmities reed grows in that area like a weed.
          > I'll also have some bamboo arrows and will be happy to talk about
          > them.
          >
          > Taillear

          I will be at GWW-V and would like to stop by and say hi. What is the name of
          your company or the name on the booth.

          Weartigo Dragonhart

        • blkknighti@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
            In a message dated 9/30/01 3:10:50 AM, greytaylor@... writes:

            << of us in the California Atlatl Assoc. use Phragmities
            reed that we find locally in great abundance. This reed has the
            right amount of flex and throws very well. >>

            Which of the genus of Phragmites are you guys using? What is the common name?
            Could you describe the flowering portion? ie- is it the "cats-tail" or the
            willowy type?
            I am recreating Lenape arrows which also used the reed shaft and hardwood
            business end The specific genus of phragmite reed would be a help to me.
            Currently I am attempting it with the "cats-tail" type.

            Ricahrd
          • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
              I know we're in merchant's space number 11 and I think we're filed
              under my girlfriend's company Gypsy Productions. If we get any signs
              made up in time there will likely be one for Grey Taylor Archery.

              Hope to see you there! Taillear

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
                Oy, Lad, you've got me there! All I do is watch for it at the side
                of the road and go cut the stuff. I'll see if I can't get some this
                coming week out at the war site and take a closer look at it. Worse
                comes to worse I'll mail you samples and let you dig through the
                taxonamy books :-)

                Taillear