Re: [SCA-Archery] Period Shoots needed for Complete Anachronist

  • Estel Pereira
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2001
      Greeting Lorenzo,

      Wand Shooting done from about mid 1200's (perhaps earlier?) onwards
      until the Regency period.
      A wand about 1' to 2' wide and three - four feet tall (round poles
      work well) placed 20 - 60 yards and shot at with broad heads. The
      first archer to split the wand or hit it (since we use field tips
      now) wins. Usually three wands are set up against a butt.

      Garland shooting done pre-1200 onwards, may be earlier - don't know
      when it was phazed out.
      Twisted wood garlands, round, any size, small for more difficult
      shots. Put on a butt - an earth mount with one side cut away to
      expose the earth - at any distance. Aim to hit the center of the

      Clout shooting done in the renaissance. Usually associated with some
      type of roving. Not to be confused with a mass volley of arrows. A
      round canvas target of about two - three feet wide - white with a
      single black center. Shot at from great distances.

      Pop-in-Jay - I think done through out the high middle ages. A wooden
      green bird a top a pole and shot at. Object to bring it down. Shot
      at with blunts and flu flus. More than one bird can be used if a
      cartwheel can be set up on top of the pole.

      I got all this information from watching a well made video out of
      England called "Archery: It's History and Forms". Wonderful pc.

      Yours in the Dream,