Open letter to terrorists

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      I agree with Master Gwilym. Here's another good one.

      Brad

      Worth the read.......... gwilym

      I have a friend who can put so many things into the right words.
      Sometimes he borrows the words but he uses them with the
      utmost efficiency and quiet granduer. Enjoy!

      ----

      An Open Letter To Terrorists

      Well, you hit the World Trade Center, but you missed America. You
      hit the Pentagon, but you missed America. You used helpless American
      bodies, to take out other American bodies, but like a poor marksman,
      you STILL missed America.

      Why? Because of something you guys will never understand. America
      isn't about a building or two, not about financial centers, not about
      military centers, America isn't about a place, America isn't even
      about a bunch of bodies. America is about an IDEA. An idea, that
      you can go someplace where you can earn as much as you can figure
      out how to, live for the most part, like you envisioned living, and
      pursue happiness. (No guarantees that you'll reach it, but you can
      sure try!)

      Go ahead and whine your terrorist whine, and chant your terrorist
      litany: "If you can not see my point, then feel my pain." This
      concept is alien to Americans. We live in a country where we don't
      have to see your point. But you're free to have one. We don't
      have to listen to your speech. But you're free to say one. Don't
      know where you got the strange idea that everyone has to agree
      with you. We don't agree with each other in this country, almost
      as a matter of pride. We're a collection of guys that don't agree,
      called States. We united our individual states to protect ourselves
      from tyranny in the world. Another idea, we made up on the spot.
      You CAN make it up as you go, when it's your country. If you're
      free enough.

      Yeah, we're fat, sloppy, easy-going goofs most of the time. That's an
      unfortunate image to project to the world, but it comes from feeling
      free and easy about the world you live in. It's unfortunate too,
      because people start to forget that when you attack Americans, they
      tend to fight like a cornered badger. The first we knew of the War
      of 1812 was when England burned Washington D.C. to the
      ground. Didn't turn out like England thought it was going to, and
      it's not going to turn out like you think, either. Sorry, but you're
      not the first bully on our shores, just the most recent.

      No Marquis of Queensbury rules for Americans, either. We were
      the FIRST and so far, the only country in the world to use nuclear
      weapons in anger. Horrific idea, nowadays? News for you bucko, it
      was back then too, but we used it anyway. Only had two of them
      in the whole world and we used them both. Grandpa Jones worked
      on the Manhattan Project. Told me once, that right up until they
      threw the switch, the physicists were still arguing over whether
      the Uranium alone would fission, or whether it would start a
      fission chain reaction that would eat everything. But they threw
      the switch anyway, because we had a War to win. Does this tell
      you something about American Resolve?

      So who just declared War on us? It would be nice to point to some real
      estate, like the good old days. Unfortunately, we're probably at war
      with random camps, in far-flung places - who think they're safe. Just
      like the Barbary Pirates did, if I recall correctly. Better start
      sleeping with one eye open.

      There's a spirit that tends to take over people who come to this
      country, looking for opportunity, looking for liberty, and looking for
      freedom. Even if they misuse it. The Marielistas that Castro emptied
      out of his prisons were overjoyed to find out how much freedom there
      was. First thing they did when they hit our shores, was run out and
      buy guns. The ones that didn't end up dead, ended up in prisons. It
      was a big pain in the ass then (especially in south Florida), but
      you're only the newest pain in the ass, not the first.

      You guys seem to be incapable of understanding that we don't live in
      America, America lives in US! American Spirit is what it's called.
      And killing a few thousand of us, or a few million of us, won't
      change it. Most of the time, it's a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of
      Spirit. Until we're crossed in a cowardly manner, then it becomes
      an entirely different kind of Spirit.

      Wait until you see what we do with that Spirit, this time.

      Sleep tight, if you can. We're coming.

      Unknown Author