Fw: Ostgard

  • John J Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      Forwarded as per request

      Ragnar

      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Carol Eskesen Smith" <brekkefranksdottir@...>
      To: laurel@..., silvercrescent@...,
      pelican@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:17:33 -0400

      As requested by my Baron, I am posting this to all but the combat and
      archery lists. To any who can post to them, please do so.

      Brekke Franksdottir

      A Sad Day in Ostgardr (Please forward to other SCA lists who might be
      interested)

      Greetings to all the friends of Ostgardr across the Known World on the
      morning after from Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell the Viceroy of the Crown
      Province of Ostgardr.(The Baron of New York)

      First let me say that we think we have accounted for all the members of
      the SCA who worked in the World Trade Center. All survived. Some of the
      stories of escape are hair raising.

      Thank you all for your concern.

      Even though the Scadian family seem to have all escaped, none of us are
      untouched. The Deputy Chief who coordinated the Police Department's
      United
      Way Campaign for three years (that's what I do) is listed among the dead.
      I have not yet dealt with the loss of my friend.

      My son, Mitch Jr. (Lord Michael MacIan), is a paramedic. Please keep him
      in your thoughts -- he works for a private ambulance company that took
      heavy casualties at the base of the WTC yesterday morning. Thank GOD he
      wasn't there when it collapsed, but was held at the mouth of the Brooklyn
      Battery Tunnel by dispatch. He was on the phone complaining loudly to his
      mother that he couldn't get in there to help...when the buildings
      collapsed. And he fell silent as he stared at the cloud rising where the
      buildings had been. The picture that the networks keep showing of
      ambulances crushed and ash covered is of the staging area for his
      company.
      He knows of one friend killed, one in very critical condition, twenty
      injured and a dozen among the missing. He is scheduled to be there at 7AM
      today, Wednesday.

      People have asked, "What can we do?" My response is pray and give blood
      and money to the Red Cross. New York only had a two day supply before
      this happened. I helped with crowd control at one of the blood centers
      yesterday. People were wonderful. The need was so great that the
      motorcycle cops were making pickups every half hour. This blood need is
      not going away soon.

      Please keep us all in your thoughts as we come to grips with what has
      happened to our City and our friends.

      You can reach me at ianmitchell@...