Re: Period vs. modern

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1 11:15 AM
      Sir Jon

      I will run the thing at Lilies. All you had to do was ask...

      Kaz

      > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>, on 8/1/99 11:14 AM:
      > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
      >
      > Those of you that do make period style gear have a chance to display it
      > to other archers and interested people at this Pennsic. You can enter
      > period style archery gear that you have made and get to help judge the
      > work of others and to hear their opinions and comments on your work. It
      > is a chance to learn and share information. The Archery Masterwork Judging
      > will held on Wed in the marshals tent on the archery range from 4:00 to
      > 5:00 pm. If you are interested check the pre Pennsic flyer for
      > information.
      >
      > How many of you that do make you own gear were planing on entering the
      > competition? How many of you had heard about it? It is just one way that
      > we can help to encourage the use and construction of period archery gear.
      > Even if you do not make your own gear, yet. You sould consider going just
      > to see what is being made and to talk to and learn from those that are
      > doing so allready.
      >
      > The next AMJ will be in Nov at Great Western War in Caid. You can either
      > bring your own entry, have someone else bring it for you or contact the
      > person running it to see about the possibility of mailing your entry in.
      >
      > The next after that is in Feb at Estrella War in Atenvelt.
      >
      > Then I hope that it will be run at Gulf wars and Lillies. But for the
      > last two years, I have been unable to find anyone to run it there. Are
      > there any volunters?
      >
      > If we want to see more period gear in the SCA, then those that know how
      > to make it should teach more archers how to to it. And those that learn
      > from them need to then teach others. If you do not have a sca bowyer in
      > your area you might consider asking one from another area to come for a
      > week end and teach a basic class. Pay their way and expenses, etc. Or if
      > you can not find a sca bowyer, locate a mundane one and pay them.
      >
      > When I joined the SCA in ASII, there were only about two people that made
      > some armor. But, consider the quanity and quality of the armorers we have
      > now. If we work at it then we could do the same for bowyers, fletchers, etc.
      >
      > Jon

      > ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
      > For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
      > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

    • Alberic
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1 11:36 AM
        > On 31 Jul 99, at 18:43, Ken Cooke wrote:
        >
        > > First I would like to comment on documentation. Archery was not only a
        > > sport of interest, it was mandated by law, for several hundred years.
        > > Every man over age 12 was to own a bow and at least two arrows and they
        > > were to shoot on every holy day. This was everyday life.
        >
        > not necessarily so ... in what particular culture, what time period, whose law
        > code .. ???
        >
        > alway remember the SCA covers a wide scope of cultures and time periods (i do
        > so miss my pscho-aztec friend of years past .... g). in many of these
        > cultures/times the bow is iirrelevent, in many it is predominant. as a general
        > rule, in the SCA, a blanket statement is always a dangerous thing .. as it
        > tends to catch fire so easily (g).

        Ken:

        If you mean Esh, he's now *sir* Esh, the society's one functioning
        Jaguar Knight.
        (X-squire brother of mine, and a very cool life unit.) Haven't seen him
        lately, but I'm in Caid these days.

        As far as legally required archery, as best my memory serves before
        caffine, the only area where this was a legal requirement was Tudor
        England. Exact dates unknown without massive infusion of caffine, but I
        get the sense that it was roughly 1200-1415 or so, or at least in that
        ballpark. The idea behind the law was to maintain a certain skill among
        the populace so that the king could "recruit" archers wherever he went,
        and have enough bodies and bolts to stop or blunt a charge.

        FWIW,
        Alberic
      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1 1:09 PM
          On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Chris Nogy wrote:

          > From: Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
          >
          > Sir Jon
          >
          > I will run the thing at Lilies. All you had to do was ask...
          >
          > Kaz

          Great. Now do we have any volunters for Gulf? :-)

          Jon

          > > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>, on 8/1/99 11:14 AM:
          > > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
          > >
          > > Those of you that do make period style gear have a chance to display it
          > > to other archers and interested people at this Pennsic. You can enter
          > > period style archery gear that you have made and get to help judge the
          > > work of others and to hear their opinions and comments on your work. It
          > > is a chance to learn and share information. The Archery Masterwork Judging
          > > will held on Wed in the marshals tent on the archery range from 4:00 to
          > > 5:00 pm. If you are interested check the pre Pennsic flyer for
          > > information.
          > >
          > > How many of you that do make you own gear were planing on entering the
          > > competition? How many of you had heard about it? It is just one way that
          > > we can help to encourage the use and construction of period archery gear.
          > > Even if you do not make your own gear, yet. You sould consider going just
          > > to see what is being made and to talk to and learn from those that are
          > > doing so allready.
          > >
          > > The next AMJ will be in Nov at Great Western War in Caid. You can either
          > > bring your own entry, have someone else bring it for you or contact the
          > > person running it to see about the possibility of mailing your entry in.
          > >
          > > The next after that is in Feb at Estrella War in Atenvelt.
          > >
          > > Then I hope that it will be run at Gulf wars and Lillies. But for the
          > > last two years, I have been unable to find anyone to run it there. Are
          > > there any volunters?
          > >
          > > If we want to see more period gear in the SCA, then those that know how
          > > to make it should teach more archers how to to it. And those that learn
          > > from them need to then teach others. If you do not have a sca bowyer in
          > > your area you might consider asking one from another area to come for a
          > > week end and teach a basic class. Pay their way and expenses, etc. Or if
          > > you can not find a sca bowyer, locate a mundane one and pay them.
          > >
          > > When I joined the SCA in ASII, there were only about two people that made
          > > some armor. But, consider the quanity and quality of the armorers we have
          > > now. If we work at it then we could do the same for bowyers, fletchers, etc.
          > >
          > > Jon

          > > ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
          > > For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
          > > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

          > > of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom

          > You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
          > Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
          > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

        • D Humberson
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2 6:04 AM
            Ian,

            Try starting with a straight-grained hickory or ash plank for your first
            couple - the kids appreciste 'em, and they're way cheaper.

            Ragnar K