Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Beginner Help

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 4 9:12 AM
      Greetings,
      I haven't seen the "Irish Spring" colored bows available new in
      quite some time. I usually buy them used from a local day camp when they
      have an end of season sale of old and retired equipment. I buy a dozen
      or so at a time for $1.00-$2.00 each or I haunt thrift shops. I inspect
      them thoroughly and some I have to discard, but at that price, who
      cares.
      At Three Rivers Archery, under Youth Equipment, they have what
      you are looking for, it's called "The Sentry Youth Recurve" it is 50"
      long and draws at 20#@25". These are the bows that I buy in bulk for
      training young archers and in the past I have sold them to some CA(but
      now I understand that the rules have changed there to allow heavier
      weight bows). They run $24.95 each, but I have found that you can get
      them at a better price if you buy several. Don't quote me on that, this
      may be a courtesy that they don't always extend. In one of my local
      ranges here in the Long Island NY area they have a little "Robin Hood
      Set" which has a 20# lemonwood bow, a set of arrows(fuggettabottit)and a
      naugahide quiver with a paper target,bracer and tab for around $20.00.
      The bow is pretty nice, I bought one as a gift for a 6 year old god son.
      I'm sure if you look you may find one closer to you but if not, you can
      call them and I'm sure they'll ship. It's called "Smith Point Archery
      Range" and it's located in Patchogue, LI,NY .
      Respectfully,
      -Geoffrei

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 30, 2004
        The Space you need is 5-10 yards but what you have to think about is where
        the arrows CAN go. You need a safety zone behind the target. 10-12 foot
        high concrete wall , a wall of a building, in the basement, in the garage,
        and 100yards of empty park will work. The neighbors house, a street, a big
        rose bush, at a window,WILL NOT WORK. If you cannot get to a range pull the
        bow 100 times to full draw and letting it down(slowely) is good practice.

        James Cunningham