Re: [SCA-Archery] York round stuff

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
      Greetings,
      Many archers seriously underestimate the ability of their tackle to
      reach 100 yards and overshots are often way over. I once prooved this to
      my canton by shooting an end at 100 yards with an 18# lemonwood bow that
      I had since I was a boy, no difficulty in reaching the mark.
      If possible, leave yourself 50 yards behind the butts(seems excessive,
      but for archers unaccustomed to shooting that range,you may need it).
      Also if possible, make sure that the field is freshly mowed
      (better for any shoot).
      Mundanely when I've shot Yorks, we have the field set up with the
      target butts at either end of the field, about 120 yards apart, so that
      after you've retrieved from one end, you can shoot back the other
      direction. This leaves you 10 yards at each side for the line. A real
      luxury, but standard practice at many mundane shoots.
      Because of the distances, many lighter weight bows have bounce
      outs, so upon retrieval, the score keeper makes a pencil mark at the
      hole of each shot, so that in the event of bounce outs you can verify
      where the shots hit.
      In the British tradition, awards are not only given for best
      overall scores, but for other things as well. A common award is a wool
      tassle. A gold one for the archer with the most golds, a white one for
      the archer with the most petticoat shots (in the early days a horn spoon
      was given for this) and a green one for the archer that hits the grass
      the most (no one wants the green one), First prize traditionally is a
      hunting horn. The other tradition is after the 6th end at 100 yards, the
      archers take a break for a toast to the Queen, or the Crown, (as a
      non-drinker, they always have grape juice or ginger ale for me, a good
      idea for all so you don't have drunk archers shooting at long distances
      at an event).
      Good luck,
      -Geoffrei

    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
        I got well acquainted with the range of my 30# Recurve at an event this
        year. A very large field had a 175yd mark. Given my 29" arrows, I could
        not reach 175yds, but I estimate I did reach 150 to 160. I shot two 31"
        arrows I had and they came closer, but not much. I did not use my crossbow
        as I did not feel like losing my precious few bolts at the time.

        At Grand Tournament in 2002, we will have 122cm targets set to 60/80/100
        yards so people can try to shoot a York round. I was planning to go with
        the Prince's Reckoning of 9/7/5/3/1. I just hope I can pry myself away
        from marshalling the TW range long enough to try shooting one myself.

        -Caedmon
      • karl sandhoff
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
          Excellent ideas all. This points out the origin of our term "end" for a group of arrows shot at one time from one distance; those shot from one end of the field. I like the idea of the additional awards, I have often awarded tassels in baronial colors for new archers participating in their first kingdom level shoot. I, too, am the recipient of my mundane club's "green hound award". I keep it where I can see it from time to time to remind me where I started.
          --

          In Service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst