RE: Beginner Help

  • Tom Guldin
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 3, 2001
      I found a couple bows of that type that I use for training new archers on
      e-bay. Yes, it takes a little time and patience, but $9 for a 20#
      fiberglass for training isn't bad.

      Ld Marcus von Gallen, COA

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
      From: GR Auklandus <vsct_caius@...>
      Subject: Beginner Help

      Not me; I'm pretty well along.

      I have been appointed Minister of the Bow (essential target archery maven)
      for two of the
      groups whose fringes I live in.

      So I need to start doing some teaching.

      My personal bow is a 50# Bear Montana longbow, which is NOT going to work
      well for most
      of my beginners, or even some of my further-along students. Even my X200
      (40#) isn't
      going to work.

      What I need to find is some of the less- or in-expensive recurves that used
      to be
      available everywhere (the black or green-and-white {Irish Spring} type bows
      at 20-25-30#.

      Does anyone have any idea where I can find those sorts of bows?

      Thanks,
      Viscount Gaius Auklandus
      Minister of the Bow, Golden Rivers and Danegeld Tor
      Sacramento-ish, CA

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 30, 2004
        The Space you need is 5-10 yards but what you have to think about is where
        the arrows CAN go. You need a safety zone behind the target. 10-12 foot
        high concrete wall , a wall of a building, in the basement, in the garage,
        and 100yards of empty park will work. The neighbors house, a street, a big
        rose bush, at a window,WILL NOT WORK. If you cannot get to a range pull the
        bow 100 times to full draw and letting it down(slowely) is good practice.

        James Cunningham