Re: [SCA-Archery] Beginner Help

  • Juliet-Yahoo
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 2, 2001
      Try finding your local archery shop that sell crossbows. They usually have
      a catalog that has the in-expensive longbows or recurves for about $30-$40.
      Just remember that these models will usually be made of fiberglass or
      something similar. That is were I picked up my first bow. Best of hunting.

      Juliet
      Still lost and trying to find a teacher.

      > So I need to start doing some teaching.
      >
      > My personal bow is a 50# Bear Montana longbow, which is NOT going to work
      well for most
      > of my beginners, or even some of my further-along students. Even my X200
      (40#) isn't
      > going to work.
      >
      > What I need to find is some of the less- or in-expensive recurves that
      used to be
      > available everywhere (the black or green-and-white {Irish Spring} type
      bows at 20-25-30#.

      > Does anyone have any idea where I can find those sorts of bows?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Viscount Gaius Auklandus
      > Minister of the Bow, Golden Rivers and Danegeld Tor
      > Sacramento-ish, CA
      >

      > =====
      Messenger
      > http://im.yahoo.com

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 30, 2004
        The Space you need is 5-10 yards but what you have to think about is where
        the arrows CAN go. You need a safety zone behind the target. 10-12 foot
        high concrete wall , a wall of a building, in the basement, in the garage,
        and 100yards of empty park will work. The neighbors house, a street, a big
        rose bush, at a window,WILL NOT WORK. If you cannot get to a range pull the
        bow 100 times to full draw and letting it down(slowely) is good practice.

        James Cunningham