Re: [SCA-Archery] Legal Targets

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 29, 2001
      Greetings,
      I think the wand idea is a great one, certainly much more
      period....but, the distances? 20,30,and 40 yards are certainly an SCA
      standard, but traditionally, a wand is shot at much longer distances.
      How about doing something REALLY different and doing it at 40,50 and 60
      yards, or even better, 50, 75 and 100 yards?
      A traditional(mundane BLBS) wand is 6' tall and 2" wide and is
      normally shot at 100 yards. This would probabl frighten off our many
      beginning archers, but something in between, would be great fun.
      -Geoffrei

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 30 7:58 PM
        The Space you need is 5-10 yards but what you have to think about is where
        the arrows CAN go. You need a safety zone behind the target. 10-12 foot
        high concrete wall , a wall of a building, in the basement, in the garage,
        and 100yards of empty park will work. The neighbors house, a street, a big
        rose bush, at a window,WILL NOT WORK. If you cannot get to a range pull the
        bow 100 times to full draw and letting it down(slowely) is good practice.

        James Cunningham