Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Helical or Straight?

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      Helical or straight is an old argument. Some will say it's the same
      difference as shooting a rifle against a musket. I tend to agree with
      that. Even if you are using straight fletching, your arrows will spin a
      bit, maybe not as fast, because that is what they want to do because of
      the natural arc of the fletching. You don't want an arrow to glide down
      range because then it will really be affected by the LEAST little wind
      current, a bit of a spin, no matter how slight will help to guide your
      arrow to it's mark, like rifling.
      I can't believe an archer can't tell the difference in shooting
      straight or helical. It does have an effect on arrow flight. Just like
      shooting left wing fletching and right wing fletching, you can tell the
      difference.
      (I have a lot of mundane credentials as well, and I won't bore you with
      them.) I think that you can get accustomed to a particular style and
      tackle and then you are personally comfortable with it, and that's a
      good thing. But there is a different feeling when you change the style
      of fletching cut, how helical it is(or straight), the balance of the
      shaft with point weight, the balance of the shaft by tapering, adding an
      additional fletch, you will notice something different in how the shot
      feels, and that is why we choose those changes for our own individual
      styles and tackle.
      I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard a crossbowman shooting 2
      fletch bolts complain that they were shooting against another crossbow
      where the archer was using 3 fletched bolts, and what an unfair
      advantage it gave them. On that point I would say that we each play the
      game we choose and after making that choice, we shouldn't complain (I
      personally don't like limb markings and sights,..my choice). But this
      brings out the point of a subtle change giving a more advantageous
      result. There will be a difference in arrow or bolt flight, perhaps
      small, but noticeable.
      Respectfully,
      -Geoffrei