Fletching Theories compilation

  • AyllythPìobaire
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
      Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
      (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.

      i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
      lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
      (or whatever)?

      This is the list of people i have whose messages are
      contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
      please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
      you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
      his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
      But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
      or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
      i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
      names. ;)

      "A discussion recently on an SCA email list devoted to
      target archery developed into a brainstorming session
      about what different types of fletching would cause
      arrows to do. The madme-- er, contributors to the
      discussion were (in no particular order): Ayllyth
      P�obaire, a newbie archer from Caid; Ragnar; Evian
      Blackthorn, editor of an online �zine named Bodkin and
      Bolt Magazine (http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin); Hal
      B. Clark; Nest verch Tangwystyl; John Edgerton;
      ~Alfred~; Caithlin; Simon Hondy; Michael Hornbaker;
      Josh; Caedmon; Geoffrei; Fritz; James De Warrenne;
      Michael; Nigel; Cecelia; Carolus von Eulenhorst, an
      experienced archer from Caid; Sam Cohen; Njall; and
      Timothy of Rosaria."

      i'm still working on the final format of it (just
      cutting and pasting posts, trimming headers down to
      minimal; just bits *out* of the posts, attributing
      with initials....).

      i'd really like to know why the bit about the dodos,
      though....i canna find the one that generated the
      reply "too bad dodos are extinct"!

      8)

      =====
      8) Ayllyth P�obaire 8)
      House of the Argent Greyhound (http://www.geocities.com/ayllyth/ )
      Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
      For your next feast and/or revel, visit
      http://www.thewildoats.com !

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Bliss Blisstasy
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
        oh drats i was going to do that, b' as i joined the list, in the midst of
        it...i guess i'll look forward to what you have

        ...There is magic yet in a gold sunset
        Power'neath a midnight sky
        And many a thrill lies over the hill
        For a dreamer such as I.
        (When Dragonslayers Grow Up)
        by Kate Tompkins

        >From: Ayllyth "P�obaire" <ayllyth@...>

        >Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
        >(duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
        >
        >i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
        >lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
        >(or whatever)?

      • Susan Kell
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hi Ayllyth -
          Well, "Ragnar" is Lord Ragnar Two Ax of the Reeking Swamp (East Kingdom),
          "Geoffrei" is Lord Geoffrei St. Alban of Eastwood and "Fritz" is Meister
          Frydherich Eisenkopf (all East Kingdom). Nest is from the East also, and
          you have her whole name.
          -- Ygraine
          (E.K. Archery Scorekeeper, so I shoot with these good folk a lot -- *and* I
          have to type their names often!)

          Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
          (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
          (snip)
        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
            Greetings
            I am Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Oaken (Ohio-Kentucky) Regional Archery
            Marshal (Midrealm). I am not a madman. I take my medication quite
            regularly, thank you. The doctors even say I'm now allowed to have
            friends, but they want to wait awhile before forks and spoons...

            Nigel (Mid)

            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • Chad Wilson
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
              --- Ayllyth P�obaire <ayllyth@...> wrote:
              > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
              > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
              >
              > i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
              > lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
              > (or whatever)?
              >
              > This is the list of people i have whose messages are
              > contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
              > please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
              > you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
              > his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
              > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
              > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
              > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
              > names. ;)

              My formal name is:

              Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm

              Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your arrows, that
              they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and eastern
              kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)

              -Caedmon

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • corr.mhaire@juno.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                Well at least you didn't goose and run <grins>

                Cecelia Corr Mhaire, Caerthe, Outlands

                On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:13:43 -0700 (PDT) Ayllyth "P�obaire"
                <ayllyth@...> writes:
                > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                >
                > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
                > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
                > names. ;)

              • Archie/Sebastian
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                  So now I am curious. If you used feathers from Pegasus does that mean the
                  arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring minds want to know.

                  In Service
                  Don Sebastian Frobishire
                  Ansteorra/Steppes

                  > > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                  > > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                  > >
                  > > i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
                  > > lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
                  > > (or whatever)?
                  > >
                  > > This is the list of people i have whose messages are
                  > > contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
                  > > please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
                  > > you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
                  > > his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
                  > > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                  > > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
                  > > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
                  > > names. ;)
                  >
                  > My formal name is:
                  >
                  > Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm
                  >
                  > Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your arrows,
                  that
                  > they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and
                  eastern
                  > kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)
                  >
                  > -Caedmon

                  > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

                • Bliss Blisstasy
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                    here we go again

                    not before stealing the closest young lassies as well

                    oh bad bad newbie

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                      Dear Caedmon,
                      Have you ever seen a real dragon flying? I didn't think so. I have
                      seen a real tiger attacking. I think I'll side with the tiger. :-P
                      It's all in fun
                      -Geoffrei

                    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                        Yes, and if you you use Eider duck feathers, your arrows simply go down.
                        In service to the dream,
                        Carolus von Eulenhorst
                        eulenhorst@...

                        On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:27:21 -0500 "Bliss Blisstasy"
                        <blisstasybliss@...> writes:
                        >here we go again
                        >
                        >not before stealing the closest young lassies as well
                        >
                        >oh bad bad newbie
                        >
                        >...There is magic yet in a gold sunset
                        > Power'neath a midnight sky
                        > And many a thrill lies over the hill
                        > For a dreamer such as I.
                        >(When Dragonslayers Grow Up)
                        >by Kate Tompkins
                        >

                        >>Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm
                        >>
                        >>Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your
                        >arrows,
                        >>that
                        >>they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and
                        >eastern
                        >>kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)
                        >>
                        >>-Caedmon

                        >>Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo!
                        >Messenger
                        >>http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                        >>
                        >>---8<---------------------------------------------
                        >>Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
                        >>Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

                        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                      • Bruce R. Gordon
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                          Greetings
                          Yes, that's so. And of course Phoenix feathers are the most sought-after
                          for fire arrows, becuse if you wait long enough you get your arrow back
                          after the target burns down...

                          Nigel (Mid)

                          Archie/Sebastian wrote:

                          > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from Pegasus does that mean the
                          > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring minds want to know.
                          >
                          > In Service
                          > Don Sebastian Frobishire
                          > Ansteorra/Steppes

                        • Carl West at home
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                            "Ayllyth Pìobaire" wrote:

                            > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                            > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved....
                            > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                            > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names...

                            Fritz = Meister Frydherik Eysenkopf, OL, OCT, Sagg, etc.
                            Carolingia, East

                            --
                            Carl West
                            mailto:eisen@...

                            Wann ich aufhöre zu lernen, begrabe mich.
                          • Jack Bradley
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                              I knew some one would turn me in
                              see you next week ;-)
                              Ragnar

                              Susan Kell wrote:

                              > Hi Ayllyth -
                              > Well, "Ragnar" is Lord Ragnar Two Ax of the Reeking Swamp (East Kingdom),
                              > "Geoffrei" is Lord Geoffrei St. Alban of Eastwood and "Fritz" is Meister
                              > Frydherich Eisenkopf (all East Kingdom). Nest is from the East also, and
                              > you have her whole name.
                              > -- Ygraine
                              > (E.K. Archery Scorekeeper, so I shoot with these good folk a lot -- *and* I
                              > have to type their names often!)

                            • AyllythPìobaire
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                --- corr.mhaire@... wrote:
                                > Well at least you didn't goose and run <grins>

                                Och, nae, i only do that to the lads at work.... ;)

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                  --- Archie/Sebastian <sbstn@...> wrote:
                                  > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from
                                  > Pegasus does that mean the
                                  > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring
                                  > minds want to know.

                                  Only if you are wearing jodhpurs....

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                    wrote:
                                    > Yes, and if you you use Eider duck feathers, your
                                    > arrows simply go down.

                                    Boo, hiss....

                                    Do they land softly?

                                    =====

                                  • psobaka@myriad.net
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                      Would mocking bird only mock your shooting?
                                      plachoya

                                      >Greetings
                                      > Yes, that's so. And of course Phoenix feathers are the most sought-after
                                      >for fire arrows, becuse if you wait long enough you get your arrow back
                                      >after the target burns down...
                                      >
                                      >Nigel (Mid)

                                      Plachoya Sobaka insignificant archer; Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                    • Carl (checking home mail from work)
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                        psobaka@... wrote:

                                        > Would mocking bird only mock your shooting?

                                        The arrow would do exactly what some other arrow had done, no knowing
                                        which though until it did it.

                                        -- Fritz
                                      • Scott Jaqua
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                          Unto Ayllyth,

                                          I think you well know who Njall is..............

                                          Scott B. Jaqua

                                          SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

                                          Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
                                        • AyllythPìobaire
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                            --- Scott Jaqua <sjaqua@...> wrote:
                                            > Unto Ayllyth,
                                            >
                                            > I think you well know who Njall is..............

                                            Grin . . . Hugs to you and your Lady wife!

                                            d'you want me to include the two links in your tag?

                                            =====

                                          • blkknighti@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                              In a message dated 8/2/01 10:19:31 AM, PÏobaireayllyth@... writes:

                                              << --- Archie/Sebastian <sbstn@...> wrote:
                                              > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from
                                              > Pegasus does that mean the
                                              > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring
                                              > minds want to know. >>

                                              If you use horse feathers, you may not hit the target but everyone believes
                                              you did.

                                              Richard
                                            • Talmon Parker
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                If you used secretaty bird feathers maybe they could keep score between
                                                rounds At least they have long legs and could run down check the line shots.
                                                Talmon Wilbanks Canton of gated edge ,kingdom of Ansteorra

                                                DER BARON

                                                >From: Carl West at home <eisen@...>
                                                >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching Theories compilation
                                                >Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:43:00 -0400
                                                >
                                                >"Ayllyth P�obaire" wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                                                > > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved....
                                                > > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                                                > > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names...
                                                >
                                                >Fritz = Meister Frydherik Eysenkopf, OL, OCT, Sagg, etc.
                                                >Carolingia, East
                                                >

                                                >--
                                                >Carl West
                                                >mailto:eisen@...
                                                >http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen
                                                >
                                                >Wann ich aufh�re zu lernen, begrabe mich.

                                              • Scott Jaqua
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                  Just include the SCA link........

                                                  Njall

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                    I don't know but they stay warm.
                                                    In service to the dream,
                                                    Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                                    eulenhorst@...

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                      Don't forget Cuckoo feathers, which will nake your arrow hide in the niddle of someone else's target.

                                                      Cnut

                                                    • John Rockwell
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                        What about a Raven? Will they fly above your head screeching ?
                                                        Ian Griffen
                                                        james kennedy <hvitabjorn@...> wrote:
                                                        Don't forget Cuckoo feathers, which will nake your arrow hide in the niddle of someone else's target.

                                                        Cnut

                                                        Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                                                      • Mike Hornbaker
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                          Is the raven screeching " Nevermore" ?

                                                          Michael