Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horse Archery

  • Eric & Mary Ward
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 1904
      >Am not sure if it is the gentle that i saw at lilies or not, but the
      >description sounds right, but he is not from Calontir, as he was not
      >familiar with our rules.

      My impression was that he was from Ansteorra; however, I, like Gwilym, only spoke with him briefly.
      Owen ap Howell, now residing in Artemisia
      --

      "If we really learned from our past mistakes,
      most of us would never get out of bed in the morning!"
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27 5:43 AM
        Greetings Archers,
        I just found this group this morning - wonderful !!
        This message is mainly for archers in N.E. Ohio.
        I will be teaching a class starting this Sunday, July 29th on Horse
        Archery. This will be a 6 week course, which will meet on Sundays. I
        have accepted 4 students already and have space for one more, more if
        they have their own archery equipment. The cost is $50. All archery
        equipment and horse will be provided. The class will be held at
        Bramblewood Stable near Lodi, OH.
        I know that this runs through Pennsic, and that it's really short
        notice. Sorry, like I said, I just found this group.
        I may run a second class in the future, if there is enough interest.
        If you would like to join us please contact me asap.
        The first two weeks will be archery only, so it would be possible for
        an experienced archer to join the class later, at a reduced cost of
        course.
        Ofria Pinkhand
        mka Karen Thewlis
      • Chad Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27 5:52 AM
          --- KThewlis@... wrote:
          > Greetings Archers,
          > I just found this group this morning - wonderful !!
          > This message is mainly for archers in N.E. Ohio.
          > I will be teaching a class starting this Sunday, July 29th on Horse
          > Archery. This will be a 6 week course, which will meet on Sundays. I
          > have accepted 4 students already and have space for one more, more if
          > they have their own archery equipment. The cost is $50. All archery
          > equipment and horse will be provided. The class will be held at
          > Bramblewood Stable near Lodi, OH.
          > I know that this runs through Pennsic, and that it's really short
          > notice. Sorry, like I said, I just found this group.
          > I may run a second class in the future, if there is enough interest.
          > If you would like to join us please contact me asap.
          > The first two weeks will be archery only, so it would be possible for
          > an experienced archer to join the class later, at a reduced cost of
          > course.
          > Ofria Pinkhand
          > mka Karen Thewlis

          Interesting. Now, is knowledge of how to ride a horse a pre-req for this
          class?

          I cannot make this class, but I think it would be cool to be able to someday.

          -Caedmon

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • KThewlis@chmca.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27 9:27 AM
            Hi Caeman - The students I have are all experienced riders at various
            levels with no archery experience. So I will mainly be teaching them
            archery and in the third lesson they will be mounted. I think our
            focus (this is not an SCA activity or event) is introduce riders to
            something new they can do on horses, rather then teaching archers
            something new to do with bows. So is riding a pre-req ? I would say
            that in this particular group of students yes, it would be. That
            doesn't mean we won't do an experienced archer class, just not this
            one.
            Hope that answers your question -
            Are you from Ohio ? Caeman is a familiar name, maybe we have met.
            Ofria Pinkhand
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Chad Wilson <caeman@y...> wrote:
            > --- KThewlis@c... wrote:
            > > Greetings Archers,
            > > I just found this group this morning - wonderful !!
            > > This message is mainly for archers in N.E. Ohio.
            > > I will be teaching a class starting this Sunday, July 29th on
            Horse
            > > Archery. This will be a 6 week course, which will meet on Sundays.
            > > have accepted 4 students already and have space for one more, more
            if
            > > they have their own archery equipment. The cost is $50. All
            archery
            > > equipment and horse will be provided. The class will be held at
            > > Bramblewood Stable near Lodi, OH.
            > > I know that this runs through Pennsic, and that it's really short
            > > notice. Sorry, like I said, I just found this group.
            > > I may run a second class in the future, if there is enough
            interest.
            > > If you would like to join us please contact me asap.
            > > The first two weeks will be archery only, so it would be possible
            for
            > > an experienced archer to join the class later, at a reduced cost
            of
            > > course.
            > > Ofria Pinkhand
            > > mka Karen Thewlis
            >
            > Interesting. Now, is knowledge of how to ride a horse a pre-req for
            this
            > class?
            >
            > I cannot make this class, but I think it would be cool to be able to
            someday.

            > -Caedmon

            Messenger
            > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Chad Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27 10:08 AM
              --- KThewlis@... wrote:
              > Hi Caeman - The students I have are all experienced riders at various
              > levels with no archery experience. So I will mainly be teaching them
              > archery and in the third lesson they will be mounted. I think our
              > focus (this is not an SCA activity or event) is introduce riders to
              > something new they can do on horses, rather then teaching archers
              > something new to do with bows. So is riding a pre-req ? I would say
              > that in this particular group of students yes, it would be. That
              > doesn't mean we won't do an experienced archer class, just not this
              > one.
              > Hope that answers your question -
              > Are you from Ohio ? Caeman is a familiar name, maybe we have met.
              > Ofria Pinkhand

              Yup. Marche of the Unicorn. Barony Flaming Gryphon.

              This weekend becomes event #15 for me this year. I am so ready for a break.

              -Caedmon

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • KThewlis@chmca.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 6, 2001
                As Requested - This is the page for The International Horse Archery
                Festival

                http://www.horsearchery.org/
              • longbow@sgi.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2001

                  > Message: 7
                  > Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:16:38 -0400
                  > From: "lesley fedewa" <muriel@...>
                  > Subject: looking for lord phillipe or felipe
                  >
                  > greetings--i am looking for contact info for a good gentle i met at the pennsic archery range. his name is phillipe or felipe, he dresses in black leather with a turned up black pirate or cavalier hat, and he shoots a horsebow from hungary.
                  >
                  > he mentioned that he was trying to raise interest in horse archery, and also the possibility of horseback rapier activities, even if outside the sca. we have some good folk in our canton who are interested in both, and would like to contact him.
                  >
                  > any help you can give would be much appreciated.
                  >
                  > i remain, yours in service,
                  > lady muriel of three walls
                  > canton of three walls
                  > barony of andelcrag
                  > middle kingdom

                  Check out <horsearchery.org>. There is to be a horse archery conference in Fort Dodge, Iowa, on Sept 6,7,8,9 2001. There are to be a Korean bowmaker, Japanese Kyudo master, Hungarian horsearcher Kassai, Chinese Archery, Sudanese Archers, Cherokee
                  nation archers. One of the people in charge is Yumi. <dmbeshey@...>

                  I met the gentle your speaking about at Lilies War. I'm under the impression he was from Calontir.

                  Gwilym
                  Society Archery Marshal
                • DSK Publishing
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2001
                    Friends,
                    You may wish to talk with my co-scribe, Evian Blackthorn. He and his son
                    are currently training their horses for a possible future in horse
                    archery/combat. He is becoming quite the authority on the subject, and if
                    it was not him you talked to, he may know who it was.
                    He can be reached via: theweb@...

                    With Noble Respect,

                    Robert de Spencer
                    Wine Merchant of Burgundy
                    aka the forgotten archer
                    (mka Joseph P Spencer III, Staff Editor for DSK Historical Publishing, Inc.)

                    Visit Bodkin & Bolt ONLINE! Your SOURCE
                    for SCA Archery information, and much more!
                    www.dskonline.net/bodkin
                    > Am not sure if it is the gentle that i saw at lilies or not, but the
                    > description sounds right, but he is not from Calontir, as he was not
                    > familiar with our rules.
                    >

                    > At 08:44 AM 8/31/2001, you wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Message: 7
                    > > > Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:16:38 -0400
                    > > > From: "lesley fedewa" <muriel@...>
                    > > > Subject: looking for lord phillipe or felipe
                    > > >
                    > > > greetings--i am looking for contact info for a good gentle i met at
                    the
                    > > pennsic archery range. his name is phillipe or felipe, he dresses in
                    > > black leather with a turned up black pirate or cavalier hat, and he
                    > > shoots a horsebow from hungary.
                    > > >
                    > > > he mentioned that he was trying to raise interest in horse archery,
                    and
                    > > also the possibility of horseback rapier activities, even if outside the
                    > > sca. we have some good folk in our canton who are interested in both,
                    > > and would like to contact him.
                    > > >
                    > > > any help you can give would be much appreciated.
                    > > >
                    > > > i remain, yours in service,
                    > > > lady muriel of three walls
                    > > > canton of three walls
                    > > > barony of andelcrag
                    > > > middle kingdom
                    > >
                    > >Check out <horsearchery.org>. There is to be a horse archery conference
                    in
                    > >Fort Dodge, Iowa, on Sept 6,7,8,9 2001. There are to be a Korean
                    bowmaker,
                    > >Japanese Kyudo master, Hungarian horsearcher Kassai, Chinese Archery,
                    > >Sudanese Archers, Cherokee
                    > >nation archers. One of the people in charge is Yumi.
                    > ><dmbeshey@...>
                    > >
                    > >I met the gentle your speaking about at Lilies War. I'm under the
                    > >impression he was from Calontir.
                    > >
                    > >Gwilym
                    > >Society Archery Marshal

                    > >Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
                    > >Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

                    > Mesa ypiresia eis arthro oneiro
                    >
                    > Lady Phoebe apo Korinthos, AoA
                    > i syzygos II apo HL Martinus Draco Byzantios
                    > Domus Draco Byzantios
                    > House Tergus
                    > Exchequer for Kolegio Bellewode
                    > Basileio Calontir
                    >
                    > mka Trudy Monet
                    >
                    > AOL IM Screen Name: MKstmouse
                    > Yahoo Pager: Kevinstmouse
                    > ICQ#: 21893812

                  • Lady Phoebe apo Korinthos
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2001

                    • felix47@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
                        I also saw the gentle whom you seek, and spoke with him for a few moments
                        but didn't think to ask where he was from. He had the weirdest style of
                        shooting I've ever seen-gripping the bow (one of Kassai's Magyars, I
                        believe) with his left hand, parallel to the ground, palm down with the
                        string OVER the arm, and drawing with the right so that the thumbs faced
                        each other. He had pretty bad accuracy, and when I questioned him about
                        the style, he said that it was a style of horse archery. If anyone
                        recognizes this, please post to the net.
                        YIS, Ld. Felix, Saethyr Fyrdman
                      • Joseph
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
                          Naima

                          I can make you a set of horsebow arrows Let me know the draw weight
                          and draw length and region your persona is from such as Asia or the
                          American Great Plains, which are the predominant regions for horse
                          archery.

                          Joseph McCoy
                          Ravens Cove