(Serious) Effects of various fletchings

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 24, 2001
      On a more serious note softer feathers, such as guinea, tend to lay
      down on release and will not stabilize as quickly as stiffer feathers.
      They also wear out faster and one fletch per feather is max. On the up
      side they are quieter and offer less drag than a comparably cut fletch
      with the stiffer feathers giving them more distance and speed.
      From intermediate size birds, such as a snow goose, fletches tend to
      have a more quickly pronounced natural pitch resulting in more spin than
      one may anticipate. These will stabilize quickly as a result of the spin
      and also reduce distance and speed. These also wear better than the
      softer variety. One fletch per feather.
      This is generally speaking of course as there are a host of variables
      that may apply.
      I will give one more example. There is a difference in the performance
      of wild and domestic turkey feathers. Wild being superior in my opinion.
      For my target arrows I use wing feathers with a parallel cut. For
      distance I may use either wing or tail, depending on what I have, and
      wedge. For hunting I use tail with parallel. Up to four fletches per
      feather, still sometimes only one. I also prefer the stiffer feathers
      for flu flus.

      Damian >>~~~>
    • AyllythPìobaire
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 25, 2001
        --- archer3@... wrote:
        > On a more serious note softer feathers, such as
        > guinea, tend to lay
        > down on release and will not stabilize as quickly as
        > stiffer feathers.
        <snip>

        Thank you for that info....

        ...just out of curiosity, d'you know about peacock and
        parrot wing feathers?

        =====
        8) Ayllyth P�obaire 8)
        House of the Argent Greyhound (http://www.geocities.com/ayllyth/ )
        Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
        For your next feast and/or revel, visit
        http://www.thewildoats.com !

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • archer3@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 25, 2001
          Peacock work fine. You'll get a more durable fletch from the male
          peacock "orange" ( or whatever you want to call the color) wing feathers
          than the dark brown, again there are exceptions. If the brown are from
          near the orange they will perform well. The further away you get the
          feathers tend to be a little softer unless they are from the first cut,
          from the quill end.
          Macaw are fine. Similar in strength to domestic turkey.
          What it comes down to is use what you have. The country folk in
          Vietnam use a single leaf from a specific plant folded a certain way,
          and attached to the shaft in a certain way to give them a two fletch for
          their crossbow bolts.
          In archery there are many different ways to achieve a desired end.
          Doesn't necessarily mean that one way is better or worse than another.
          Results are what counts, and personal preference. :-)

          Damian >>~~~>
        • AyllythPìobaire
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
            Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
            (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.

            i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
            lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
            (or whatever)?

            This is the list of people i have whose messages are
            contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
            please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
            you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
            his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
            But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
            or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
            i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
            names. ;)

            "A discussion recently on an SCA email list devoted to
            target archery developed into a brainstorming session
            about what different types of fletching would cause
            arrows to do. The madme-- er, contributors to the
            discussion were (in no particular order): Ayllyth
            P�obaire, a newbie archer from Caid; Ragnar; Evian
            Blackthorn, editor of an online �zine named Bodkin and
            Bolt Magazine (http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin); Hal
            B. Clark; Nest verch Tangwystyl; John Edgerton;
            ~Alfred~; Caithlin; Simon Hondy; Michael Hornbaker;
            Josh; Caedmon; Geoffrei; Fritz; James De Warrenne;
            Michael; Nigel; Cecelia; Carolus von Eulenhorst, an
            experienced archer from Caid; Sam Cohen; Njall; and
            Timothy of Rosaria."

            i'm still working on the final format of it (just
            cutting and pasting posts, trimming headers down to
            minimal; just bits *out* of the posts, attributing
            with initials....).

            i'd really like to know why the bit about the dodos,
            though....i canna find the one that generated the
            reply "too bad dodos are extinct"!

            8)

            =====
            8) Ayllyth P�obaire 8)
            House of the Argent Greyhound (http://www.geocities.com/ayllyth/ )
            Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
            For your next feast and/or revel, visit
            http://www.thewildoats.com !

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Bliss Blisstasy
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
              oh drats i was going to do that, b' as i joined the list, in the midst of
              it...i guess i'll look forward to what you have

              ...There is magic yet in a gold sunset
              Power'neath a midnight sky
              And many a thrill lies over the hill
              For a dreamer such as I.
              (When Dragonslayers Grow Up)
              by Kate Tompkins

              >From: Ayllyth "P�obaire" <ayllyth@...>

              >Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
              >(duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
              >
              >i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
              >lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
              >(or whatever)?

            • Susan Kell
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                Hi Ayllyth -
                Well, "Ragnar" is Lord Ragnar Two Ax of the Reeking Swamp (East Kingdom),
                "Geoffrei" is Lord Geoffrei St. Alban of Eastwood and "Fritz" is Meister
                Frydherich Eisenkopf (all East Kingdom). Nest is from the East also, and
                you have her whole name.
                -- Ygraine
                (E.K. Archery Scorekeeper, so I shoot with these good folk a lot -- *and* I
                have to type their names often!)

                Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                (snip)
              • Bruce R. Gordon
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Greetings
                  I am Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Oaken (Ohio-Kentucky) Regional Archery
                  Marshal (Midrealm). I am not a madman. I take my medication quite
                  regularly, thank you. The doctors even say I'm now allowed to have
                  friends, but they want to wait awhile before forks and spoons...

                  Nigel (Mid)

                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                • Chad Wilson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                    --- Ayllyth P�obaire <ayllyth@...> wrote:
                    > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                    > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                    >
                    > i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
                    > lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
                    > (or whatever)?
                    >
                    > This is the list of people i have whose messages are
                    > contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
                    > please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
                    > you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
                    > his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
                    > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                    > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
                    > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
                    > names. ;)

                    My formal name is:

                    Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm

                    Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your arrows, that
                    they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and eastern
                    kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)

                    -Caedmon

                    http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                  • corr.mhaire@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                      Well at least you didn't goose and run <grins>

                      Cecelia Corr Mhaire, Caerthe, Outlands

                      On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:13:43 -0700 (PDT) Ayllyth "P�obaire"
                      <ayllyth@...> writes:
                      > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                      > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                      >
                      > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                      > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
                      > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
                      > names. ;)

                    • Archie/Sebastian
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                        So now I am curious. If you used feathers from Pegasus does that mean the
                        arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring minds want to know.

                        In Service
                        Don Sebastian Frobishire
                        Ansteorra/Steppes

                        > > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                        > > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved.
                        > >
                        > > i seem to be missing some; were there some along those
                        > > lines before the subject changed from Classic Longbow
                        > > (or whatever)?
                        > >
                        > > This is the list of people i have whose messages are
                        > > contributing to this brainstorm. If i've missed you,
                        > > please let me know (i may not have that message!); if
                        > > you'd like a blurb (like m'lord Blackthorn's link to
                        > > his Bodkin and Bolt), send me what you'd like put in.
                        > > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                        > > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names; some
                        > > i've only single names or even (omigawds) mundane
                        > > names. ;)
                        >
                        > My formal name is:
                        >
                        > Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm
                        >
                        > Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your arrows,
                        that
                        > they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and
                        eastern
                        > kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)
                        >
                        > -Caedmon

                        > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

                      • Bliss Blisstasy
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                          here we go again

                          not before stealing the closest young lassies as well

                          oh bad bad newbie

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                            Dear Caedmon,
                            Have you ever seen a real dragon flying? I didn't think so. I have
                            seen a real tiger attacking. I think I'll side with the tiger. :-P
                            It's all in fun
                            -Geoffrei

                          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 1, 2001
                              Yes, and if you you use Eider duck feathers, your arrows simply go down.
                              In service to the dream,
                              Carolus von Eulenhorst
                              eulenhorst@...

                              On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:27:21 -0500 "Bliss Blisstasy"
                              <blisstasybliss@...> writes:
                              >here we go again
                              >
                              >not before stealing the closest young lassies as well
                              >
                              >oh bad bad newbie
                              >
                              >...There is magic yet in a gold sunset
                              > Power'neath a midnight sky
                              > And many a thrill lies over the hill
                              > For a dreamer such as I.
                              >(When Dragonslayers Grow Up)
                              >by Kate Tompkins
                              >

                              >>Lord Caedmon Wilson, Midrealm
                              >>
                              >>Did anyone mention that if you used Dragon Wings to fletch your
                              >arrows,
                              >>that
                              >>they would only want to fly east? (vague reference to midrealm and
                              >eastern
                              >>kingdom for those are not from the midrealm or east)
                              >>
                              >>-Caedmon

                              >>Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo!
                              >Messenger
                              >>http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                              >>
                              >>---8<---------------------------------------------
                              >>Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
                              >>Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

                              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                            • Bruce R. Gordon
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                Greetings
                                Yes, that's so. And of course Phoenix feathers are the most sought-after
                                for fire arrows, becuse if you wait long enough you get your arrow back
                                after the target burns down...

                                Nigel (Mid)

                                Archie/Sebastian wrote:

                                > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from Pegasus does that mean the
                                > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring minds want to know.
                                >
                                > In Service
                                > Don Sebastian Frobishire
                                > Ansteorra/Steppes

                              • Carl West at home
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                  "Ayllyth Pìobaire" wrote:

                                  > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                                  > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved....
                                  > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                                  > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names...

                                  Fritz = Meister Frydherik Eysenkopf, OL, OCT, Sagg, etc.
                                  Carolingia, East

                                  --
                                  Carl West
                                  mailto:eisen@...

                                  Wann ich aufhöre zu lernen, begrabe mich.
                                • Jack Bradley
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                    I knew some one would turn me in
                                    see you next week ;-)
                                    Ragnar

                                    Susan Kell wrote:

                                    > Hi Ayllyth -
                                    > Well, "Ragnar" is Lord Ragnar Two Ax of the Reeking Swamp (East Kingdom),
                                    > "Geoffrei" is Lord Geoffrei St. Alban of Eastwood and "Fritz" is Meister
                                    > Frydherich Eisenkopf (all East Kingdom). Nest is from the East also, and
                                    > you have her whole name.
                                    > -- Ygraine
                                    > (E.K. Archery Scorekeeper, so I shoot with these good folk a lot -- *and* I
                                    > have to type their names often!)

                                  • AyllythPìobaire
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                      --- corr.mhaire@... wrote:
                                      > Well at least you didn't goose and run <grins>

                                      Och, nae, i only do that to the lads at work.... ;)

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                        --- Archie/Sebastian <sbstn@...> wrote:
                                        > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from
                                        > Pegasus does that mean the
                                        > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring
                                        > minds want to know.

                                        Only if you are wearing jodhpurs....

                                        =====

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                          wrote:
                                          > Yes, and if you you use Eider duck feathers, your
                                          > arrows simply go down.

                                          Boo, hiss....

                                          Do they land softly?

                                          =====

                                        • psobaka@myriad.net
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                            Would mocking bird only mock your shooting?
                                            plachoya

                                            >Greetings
                                            > Yes, that's so. And of course Phoenix feathers are the most sought-after
                                            >for fire arrows, becuse if you wait long enough you get your arrow back
                                            >after the target burns down...
                                            >
                                            >Nigel (Mid)

                                            Plachoya Sobaka insignificant archer; Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                          • Carl (checking home mail from work)
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                              psobaka@... wrote:

                                              > Would mocking bird only mock your shooting?

                                              The arrow would do exactly what some other arrow had done, no knowing
                                              which though until it did it.

                                              -- Fritz
                                            • Scott Jaqua
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                Unto Ayllyth,

                                                I think you well know who Njall is..............

                                                Scott B. Jaqua

                                                SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

                                                Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
                                              • AyllythPìobaire
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                  --- Scott Jaqua <sjaqua@...> wrote:
                                                  > Unto Ayllyth,
                                                  >
                                                  > I think you well know who Njall is..............

                                                  Grin . . . Hugs to you and your Lady wife!

                                                  d'you want me to include the two links in your tag?

                                                  =====

                                                • blkknighti@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                    In a message dated 8/2/01 10:19:31 AM, PÏobaireayllyth@... writes:

                                                    << --- Archie/Sebastian <sbstn@...> wrote:
                                                    > So now I am curious. If you used feathers from
                                                    > Pegasus does that mean the
                                                    > arrows will only fly towards the heavens? Inquiring
                                                    > minds want to know. >>

                                                    If you use horse feathers, you may not hit the target but everyone believes
                                                    you did.

                                                    Richard
                                                  • Talmon Parker
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                      If you used secretaty bird feathers maybe they could keep score between
                                                      rounds At least they have long legs and could run down check the line shots.
                                                      Talmon Wilbanks Canton of gated edge ,kingdom of Ansteorra

                                                      DER BARON

                                                      >From: Carl West at home <eisen@...>
                                                      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching Theories compilation
                                                      >Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:43:00 -0400
                                                      >
                                                      >"Ayllyth P�obaire" wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Okay, since it looks like moulting season is over
                                                      > > (duck&run), i'm compiling the msgs i saved....
                                                      > > But i think it'd be nice to at least know what kingdom
                                                      > > or barony y'all are from -- and proper names...
                                                      >
                                                      >Fritz = Meister Frydherik Eysenkopf, OL, OCT, Sagg, etc.
                                                      >Carolingia, East
                                                      >

                                                      >--
                                                      >Carl West
                                                      >mailto:eisen@...
                                                      >http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen
                                                      >
                                                      >Wann ich aufh�re zu lernen, begrabe mich.

                                                    • Scott Jaqua
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                        Just include the SCA link........

                                                        Njall

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                          I don't know but they stay warm.
                                                          In service to the dream,
                                                          Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                                          eulenhorst@...

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                            Don't forget Cuckoo feathers, which will nake your arrow hide in the niddle of someone else's target.

                                                            Cnut

                                                          • John Rockwell
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                              What about a Raven? Will they fly above your head screeching ?
                                                              Ian Griffen
                                                              james kennedy <hvitabjorn@...> wrote:
                                                              Don't forget Cuckoo feathers, which will nake your arrow hide in the niddle of someone else's target.

                                                              Cnut

                                                              Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                                                            • Mike Hornbaker
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 3, 2001
                                                                Is the raven screeching " Nevermore" ?

                                                                Michael