Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: bowyers

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9 12:28 PM
      Greetings,
      In regards to bowyers, you have many options and don't be put off
      by using a bowyer that is far from where you live. Most bowyers work
      through the mail anyway. I admire your dedication to SCA bowyers, but I
      must agree that it will limit your choices greatly. Most mundane bowyers
      are very interested in what we do, the fact that they are not
      neccessarily members should not be taken as an affront to our Society,
      it's just they are completely immersed in their craft, yet they find
      what we do interesting.
      There are MANY bowyers in the US that make traditional British
      style longbows. Jack Hamm has been mentioned, Don Adams (one of the best
      in the world), Gerald Welsh(from Alaska), Jay St.Charles (Pacific Yew),
      Jack Strunk, and a host of others. I own several bows, all custom made
      and I've dealt with many bowyers over the years. The finest yew
      available in the world for making bow currently comes from the Pacific
      Northwest, and the bowyers in this country that work from them make an
      excellent product, at US prices to support a US cost of living. They're
      not cheating you, they are getting a fair price for their product by US
      standards, but you can do a lot better on the price. Try one of the
      British bowyers. I just had an exceptional longbow made for me by a
      bowyer named Steve Ralphs that I found out about on this list and it
      cost me less than half of what a comparable bow by an American bowyer
      would have cost.
      If you do a search for British Long Bows, you will find a great
      many resources. Roy King is the bowyer for the Mary Rose Trust and he
      also makes exceptional bows. Most of the bowyers that I know of DO play
      at the history recreation game, maybe not SCA but they are kindred
      spirits. Steve Ralphs named his son Loxley.(thanks Lady Elizabeth
      Hawkwood for finding that out).
      If you should find a good scadian bowyer, great. But don't limit
      yourself.
      Respectfully,
      Lord Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

    • David Swayze
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9 9:07 PM
        Would you do a favor and give the rest of us a list of these
        people. When I search for period equipment all that shows up is
        modern longbows with cut in shelves.

        This list should be used for education and the spread of information

        THL Eric Morrison of Thisltekeep
        Archer Captain Barony of Caerthe Outlands

        greytaylor@... wrote:

        > > The reason is:
        > >
        > > this is an SCA list!
        >
        > My apologies for whatever I said to get a somewhat snippy answer
        > here. Like I said, I was just curious and not looking to flame.
        >
        > > Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
        > > remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from
        > one
        > > peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
        > > longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried
        > wood
        > > with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I
        > might
        > > get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way
        > of
        > > doing this- you know- an anachronism...
        > >
        > > Jeff Burke
        >
        > You have obviously been speaking to people more interested in North
        > American history than Western European history; and apparently some
        > bowyers interested in performance rather than anachronisms. Try
        > people who make English style longbows. Jay St. Charles in Washington
        > makes them, but he's not SCA. I can think of a number of others that
        > make flatbows, longbows, static recurves, self-bows, and backed bows
        > out of air dried staves and billets. But none that are SCA.
        >
        > Good luck, Taillear

      • TLW
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9 9:15 PM
          Please excuse this for being somewhat off-topic. I'm trying to get this out
          to as many combat archers as possible, so if you know of any that do not
          have email/web availability, please let them know. The deadline for adding
          APD's to combat arrows is Aug 1st, so this is time-sensitive issue. If you
          could pass this information to your kingdom's.. websites, groups, email
          lists, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

          Tessa

          Greetings!

          I just had a meeting with THL Gwilym (Society Archer Marshal) tonight. He
          asked me to post this to the list and to please get the word out. We have
          Society approval on some APD's. These are the ones that have been approved:

          Siloflex 100 psi and 160 psi for use on fiberglass arrows.

          These are approved with one of the following attachment methods:

          Siegfried's design (internal tab):
          http://cybergoyle.n3.net/tube

          Robert the Bald's design (routed channel):
          http://www.trimaris.org/marshall/expapd.htm

          Lu-shan's design (external tab):
          http://www.geocities.com/schizeckinosy/SCA/APD.html

          You can use any of the three designs listed above, along with strapping tape
          to mount the APD's. If you want to use an adhesive along with one of the
          above designs and the strapping tape, you can. The top piece of the APD
          must be a minimum of 1". The cut of the APD from the bottom (or base)to the
          top, from the plane of the arrow, is a maximum angle of 45%.

          Other designs and styles of APD's are still being tested and reviewed. This
          is what has been approved so far. The Siloflex design will work on most
          target style crossbows. For other information on the APD issue and the
          progress of different APD's check out this site (the testing one):

          http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm

          We should have some new updates any time now :)

          Please help me get the word out. We are still working on something for
          wooden shafts, but this is a first step. If anyone has designs and testing
          results for APD's that work on wooden shafts, please send them to the SAM,
          ASAP. Thank you.

          Tessa the Huntress
          (deputy to the Society Archer Marshal)
        • Co tenBroek and Barbara Hendrix
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10 3:11 AM
            Jean-Michel here, I am an SCA bowyer, I like to make longbows, I also have
            several friends in my area who make bows.
            I am currently working on an Andaman Island style bow. Tools I use:
            Bandsaw (sometimes), Draw Knife (Allways), Various files and rasps
            (Allways), Cabinet Scrapers, broken glass, other wierd tools (not stone
            implements). I may be contacted at

            co_barb@...

            > Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
            > remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from one
            > peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
            > longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried wood
            > with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I might
            > get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way of
            > doing this- you know- an anachronism...
            >
            > Jeff Burke

          • Simon Hondy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10 4:20 AM
              http://www.selfbow.com/self.html
              http://www.woodbow.com/index.html
              http://members.aol.com/ardenbows/
              http://www.garneaux.com/bowhunting/traditional_bows.htm (hunt through the
              list)
              http://es.onelist.com/group/pigpenbowmen (ooh a whole newsgroup focused on
              English longbows, now imagine that.)
              http://avalonlongbows.20m.com/

              on these sites you need to look through for the D limb bow but they are
              there. This took about an hour of looking on the web, using Google.com to
              search. Also searching under such bizarre descriptions as "English longbow
              maker" and "Selfbow longbow". Don't be afraid to be descriptive in your
              search words, just leave out such things as "and, or, by,"and so on. Small
              words and you get every page with "or" on it. Although Google over looks
              those words. It is like ordering supplies in the military, you would not
              ask for a 'bow' lord knows what you would get! "Bow, Long, English 75#, w/
              Flemish string, 1 ea." Give it a try you'll like it and it will save time
              waiting for email to come back from the newsgroups.

              Lord Simon Hondy
              Baile na Scolairi
              Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • kharms@realtime.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10 6:39 AM
                > on these sites you need to look through for the D limb bow but they
                are
                > there. This took about an hour of looking on the web, using
                Google.com to
                > search. Also searching under such bizarre descriptions as "English
                longbow
                > maker" and "Selfbow longbow". Don't be afraid to be descriptive in
                your
                > search words, just leave out such things as "and, or, by,"and so on.
                Small
                > words and you get every page with "or" on it. Although Google over
                looks
                > those words. It is like ordering supplies in the military, you
                would not
                > ask for a 'bow' lord knows what you would get! "Bow, Long, English
                75#, w/
                > Flemish string, 1 ea." Give it a try you'll like it and it will
                save time
                > waiting for email to come back from the newsgroups.
                >
                > Lord Simon Hondy
                > Baile na Scolairi
                > Midlands
                > Middle Kingdom

                Actually- i had done that already, and was now looking for someone in
                my area who would work with me on creating the bow i desire. but
                thanks for posting the info- now it can handily be located in the
                archives.

                Jeff Burke