bowyers

  • kharms@realtime.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2001
      Thanks all for the info on the longbow!

      Now- can anyone give me contact info for SCA bowyers in the Austin, TX
      area?

      Thanks in advance-

      Jeff Burke
    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2001
        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., kharms@r... wrote:
        > Thanks all for the info on the longbow!
        >
        > Now- can anyone give me contact info for SCA bowyers in the Austin,
        TX
        > area?
        >
        > Thanks in advance-
        >
        > Jeff Burke

        I am curious and I don't want this to sound like an attack or flame
        of any kind, for it surely isn't...

        Is there any particular reason why you are asking for just "SCA
        bowyers"? There is a whole world of traditional archery outside the
        SCA that we sometimes seem to ignore. I can't tell you how much more
        I've learned about trad archery by also seeking sources outside the
        SCA than if I had confined my search to the Society exclusively. For
        every archer, bowyer, or arrowmaker connected with the SCA I'd
        imagine there are at *least* few hundred that are not.

        Ok, climbing off my soap box...

        Taillear
      • kharms@realtime.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2001
          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., greytaylor@w... wrote:
          > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., kharms@r... wrote:
          > > Thanks all for the info on the longbow!
          > >
          > > Now- can anyone give me contact info for SCA bowyers in the Austin,
          > TX
          > > area?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance-
          > >
          > > Jeff Burke
          >
          > I am curious and I don't want this to sound like an attack or flame
          > of any kind, for it surely isn't...
          >
          > Is there any particular reason why you are asking for just "SCA
          > bowyers"? There is a whole world of traditional archery outside the
          > SCA that we sometimes seem to ignore. I can't tell you how much more
          > I've learned about trad archery by also seeking sources outside the
          > SCA than if I had confined my search to the Society exclusively. For
          > every archer, bowyer, or arrowmaker connected with the SCA I'd
          > imagine there are at *least* few hundred that are not.
          >
          > Ok, climbing off my soap box...
          >
          > Taillear

          The reason is:

          this is an SCA list!

          Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
          remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from one
          peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
          longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried wood
          with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I might
          get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way of
          doing this- you know- an anachronism...

          Jeff Burke
        • James De Warrenne
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2001
            Greetings Jeff

            I asked this very same question awhile back. I got some replies too. One
            of those who did was Elwin. He told me the folowing:

            My Lord James you live in the best state for bow
            making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
            write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
            go luck Elwin

            There is also a contact in Waco in the SCA (I am still looking for that
            information, but think I may have accidently deleted it)

            So, there are some around who do what you would like to do. You may also
            try primitivearcher.com
            Follow the links.

            Good luck

            Ld James

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2001
              > The reason is:
              >
              > this is an SCA list!

              My apologies for whatever I said to get a somewhat snippy answer
              here. Like I said, I was just curious and not looking to flame.

              > Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
              > remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from
              one
              > peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
              > longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried
              wood
              > with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I
              might
              > get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way
              of
              > doing this- you know- an anachronism...
              >
              > Jeff Burke

              You have obviously been speaking to people more interested in North
              American history than Western European history; and apparently some
              bowyers interested in performance rather than anachronisms. Try
              people who make English style longbows. Jay St. Charles in Washington
              makes them, but he's not SCA. I can think of a number of others that
              make flatbows, longbows, static recurves, self-bows, and backed bows
              out of air dried staves and billets. But none that are SCA.

              Good luck, Taillear
            • Jack Bradley
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2001
                I think you'll find that most of the flatbow ,self-bow makers know about the
                SCA and will make what your looking for they just don't wish to play with us
                Ragnar

              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Greetings,
                  In regards to bowyers, you have many options and don't be put off
                  by using a bowyer that is far from where you live. Most bowyers work
                  through the mail anyway. I admire your dedication to SCA bowyers, but I
                  must agree that it will limit your choices greatly. Most mundane bowyers
                  are very interested in what we do, the fact that they are not
                  neccessarily members should not be taken as an affront to our Society,
                  it's just they are completely immersed in their craft, yet they find
                  what we do interesting.
                  There are MANY bowyers in the US that make traditional British
                  style longbows. Jack Hamm has been mentioned, Don Adams (one of the best
                  in the world), Gerald Welsh(from Alaska), Jay St.Charles (Pacific Yew),
                  Jack Strunk, and a host of others. I own several bows, all custom made
                  and I've dealt with many bowyers over the years. The finest yew
                  available in the world for making bow currently comes from the Pacific
                  Northwest, and the bowyers in this country that work from them make an
                  excellent product, at US prices to support a US cost of living. They're
                  not cheating you, they are getting a fair price for their product by US
                  standards, but you can do a lot better on the price. Try one of the
                  British bowyers. I just had an exceptional longbow made for me by a
                  bowyer named Steve Ralphs that I found out about on this list and it
                  cost me less than half of what a comparable bow by an American bowyer
                  would have cost.
                  If you do a search for British Long Bows, you will find a great
                  many resources. Roy King is the bowyer for the Mary Rose Trust and he
                  also makes exceptional bows. Most of the bowyers that I know of DO play
                  at the history recreation game, maybe not SCA but they are kindred
                  spirits. Steve Ralphs named his son Loxley.(thanks Lady Elizabeth
                  Hawkwood for finding that out).
                  If you should find a good scadian bowyer, great. But don't limit
                  yourself.
                  Respectfully,
                  Lord Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

                • David Swayze
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Would you do a favor and give the rest of us a list of these
                    people. When I search for period equipment all that shows up is
                    modern longbows with cut in shelves.

                    This list should be used for education and the spread of information

                    THL Eric Morrison of Thisltekeep
                    Archer Captain Barony of Caerthe Outlands

                    greytaylor@... wrote:

                    > > The reason is:
                    > >
                    > > this is an SCA list!
                    >
                    > My apologies for whatever I said to get a somewhat snippy answer
                    > here. Like I said, I was just curious and not looking to flame.
                    >
                    > > Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
                    > > remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from
                    > one
                    > > peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
                    > > longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried
                    > wood
                    > > with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I
                    > might
                    > > get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way
                    > of
                    > > doing this- you know- an anachronism...
                    > >
                    > > Jeff Burke
                    >
                    > You have obviously been speaking to people more interested in North
                    > American history than Western European history; and apparently some
                    > bowyers interested in performance rather than anachronisms. Try
                    > people who make English style longbows. Jay St. Charles in Washington
                    > makes them, but he's not SCA. I can think of a number of others that
                    > make flatbows, longbows, static recurves, self-bows, and backed bows
                    > out of air dried staves and billets. But none that are SCA.
                    >
                    > Good luck, Taillear

                  • TLW
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2001
                      Please excuse this for being somewhat off-topic. I'm trying to get this out
                      to as many combat archers as possible, so if you know of any that do not
                      have email/web availability, please let them know. The deadline for adding
                      APD's to combat arrows is Aug 1st, so this is time-sensitive issue. If you
                      could pass this information to your kingdom's.. websites, groups, email
                      lists, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

                      Tessa

                      Greetings!

                      I just had a meeting with THL Gwilym (Society Archer Marshal) tonight. He
                      asked me to post this to the list and to please get the word out. We have
                      Society approval on some APD's. These are the ones that have been approved:

                      Siloflex 100 psi and 160 psi for use on fiberglass arrows.

                      These are approved with one of the following attachment methods:

                      Siegfried's design (internal tab):
                      http://cybergoyle.n3.net/tube

                      Robert the Bald's design (routed channel):
                      http://www.trimaris.org/marshall/expapd.htm

                      Lu-shan's design (external tab):
                      http://www.geocities.com/schizeckinosy/SCA/APD.html

                      You can use any of the three designs listed above, along with strapping tape
                      to mount the APD's. If you want to use an adhesive along with one of the
                      above designs and the strapping tape, you can. The top piece of the APD
                      must be a minimum of 1". The cut of the APD from the bottom (or base)to the
                      top, from the plane of the arrow, is a maximum angle of 45%.

                      Other designs and styles of APD's are still being tested and reviewed. This
                      is what has been approved so far. The Siloflex design will work on most
                      target style crossbows. For other information on the APD issue and the
                      progress of different APD's check out this site (the testing one):

                      http://users.ev1.net/~theweb/apdintro.htm

                      We should have some new updates any time now :)

                      Please help me get the word out. We are still working on something for
                      wooden shafts, but this is a first step. If anyone has designs and testing
                      results for APD's that work on wooden shafts, please send them to the SAM,
                      ASAP. Thank you.

                      Tessa the Huntress
                      (deputy to the Society Archer Marshal)
                    • Co tenBroek and Barbara Hendrix
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2001
                        Jean-Michel here, I am an SCA bowyer, I like to make longbows, I also have
                        several friends in my area who make bows.
                        I am currently working on an Andaman Island style bow. Tools I use:
                        Bandsaw (sometimes), Draw Knife (Allways), Various files and rasps
                        (Allways), Cabinet Scrapers, broken glass, other wierd tools (not stone
                        implements). I may be contacted at

                        co_barb@...

                        > Second reason- I've talked to 2 bowyers here and no one seems to be
                        > remotely interested in producing a traditional longbow made from one
                        > peice of wood dried in the old way- they are into american indian
                        > longbows, and they are into laminated bows made from kiln dried wood
                        > with modern slotted arrow rests and such- so I thought perhaps I might
                        > get a lead on someone who actually appreciates the traditional way of
                        > doing this- you know- an anachronism...
                        >
                        > Jeff Burke

                      • Simon Hondy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 10, 2001
                          http://www.selfbow.com/self.html
                          http://www.woodbow.com/index.html
                          http://members.aol.com/ardenbows/
                          http://www.garneaux.com/bowhunting/traditional_bows.htm (hunt through the
                          list)
                          http://es.onelist.com/group/pigpenbowmen (ooh a whole newsgroup focused on
                          English longbows, now imagine that.)
                          http://avalonlongbows.20m.com/

                          on these sites you need to look through for the D limb bow but they are
                          there. This took about an hour of looking on the web, using Google.com to
                          search. Also searching under such bizarre descriptions as "English longbow
                          maker" and "Selfbow longbow". Don't be afraid to be descriptive in your
                          search words, just leave out such things as "and, or, by,"and so on. Small
                          words and you get every page with "or" on it. Although Google over looks
                          those words. It is like ordering supplies in the military, you would not
                          ask for a 'bow' lord knows what you would get! "Bow, Long, English 75#, w/
                          Flemish string, 1 ea." Give it a try you'll like it and it will save time
                          waiting for email to come back from the newsgroups.

                          Lord Simon Hondy
                          Baile na Scolairi
                          Midlands
                          Middle Kingdom

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • kharms@realtime.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 10, 2001
                            > on these sites you need to look through for the D limb bow but they
                            are
                            > there. This took about an hour of looking on the web, using
                            Google.com to
                            > search. Also searching under such bizarre descriptions as "English
                            longbow
                            > maker" and "Selfbow longbow". Don't be afraid to be descriptive in
                            your
                            > search words, just leave out such things as "and, or, by,"and so on.
                            Small
                            > words and you get every page with "or" on it. Although Google over
                            looks
                            > those words. It is like ordering supplies in the military, you
                            would not
                            > ask for a 'bow' lord knows what you would get! "Bow, Long, English
                            75#, w/
                            > Flemish string, 1 ea." Give it a try you'll like it and it will
                            save time
                            > waiting for email to come back from the newsgroups.
                            >
                            > Lord Simon Hondy
                            > Baile na Scolairi
                            > Midlands
                            > Middle Kingdom

                            Actually- i had done that already, and was now looking for someone in
                            my area who would work with me on creating the bow i desire. but
                            thanks for posting the info- now it can handily be located in the
                            archives.

                            Jeff Burke