Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Jack Bradley
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
      Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
      the way you can get different pretty colours)
      Ragnar

      Simon Hondy wrote:

      > Ragnar,
      > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
      > their site?
      > Simon Hondy

    • Jeff Elder
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
        Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
        hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
        That might be a little heavy.. ;}

        Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
        cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
        place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
        gotta be difficult!

        All wonderful Ideas though!

        Simon Hondy

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
          --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
          > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
          > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
          > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
          >
          > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
          > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
          > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
          > gotta be difficult!

          Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
          to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
          or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

          -Caedmon

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Talmon Parker
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
              Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
              Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

            • James Mcadams
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                Xavier
                Jim McAdams | Do,
                jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Good Afternoon to the List,
                  For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                  lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                  currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                  plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                  plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                  several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                  kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                  with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                  back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                  The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                  and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                  can shoot at it.
                  Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                  dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                  plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                  poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                  comfortably stops anything of mine.
                  You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                  legal height.
                  Repectfully,
                  -Geoffrei

                • Eric Bosley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Greetings,

                    Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                    butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                    boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                    out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                    from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                    H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                    Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                    On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                    > Good Afternoon to the List,
                    > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                    > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                    > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                    > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                    > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                    > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                    > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                    > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                    > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                    > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                    > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                    > can shoot at it.
                    > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                    > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                    > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                    > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                    > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                    > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                    > legal height.
                    > Repectfully,
                    > -Geoffrei
                    >

                    > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                  • Hal B. Clark
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                      This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                      replacing
                      burlap in some usages.
                      Walk Tall
                      Gentle Ben