Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Simon Hondy
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
      Ragnar,
      Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
      their site?
      Simon Hondy

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
        <On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
        <The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
        <-Caedmon

        On this same model, I've been told to use old phonebooks clamped
        together so you're shooting into the edges of the pages. Likewise
        horizontal layers of cardboard clamped together and compressed. I
        like the idea of stopping the arrow/bolt with surrounding friction
        rather than blunt force on the head.

        -Yeliz
      • Jack Bradley
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
          Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
          the way you can get different pretty colours)
          Ragnar

          Simon Hondy wrote:

          > Ragnar,
          > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
          > their site?
          > Simon Hondy

        • Jeff Elder
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
            Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
            hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
            That might be a little heavy.. ;}

            Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
            cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
            place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
            gotta be difficult!

            All wonderful Ideas though!

            Simon Hondy

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
              --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
              > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
              > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
              > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
              >
              > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
              > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
              > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
              > gotta be difficult!

              Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
              to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
              or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

              -Caedmon

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Talmon Parker
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
                  Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

                • James Mcadams
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                    > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                    > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                    > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                    > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                    > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                    A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                    plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                    some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                    pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                    Xavier
                    Jim McAdams | Do,
                    jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                    630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                      Good Afternoon to the List,
                      For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                      lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                      currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                      plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                      plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                      several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                      kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                      with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                      back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                      The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                      and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                      can shoot at it.
                      Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                      dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                      plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                      poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                      comfortably stops anything of mine.
                      You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                      legal height.
                      Repectfully,
                      -Geoffrei

                    • Eric Bosley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                        Greetings,

                        Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                        butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                        boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                        out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                        from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                        H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                        Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                        On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                        > Good Afternoon to the List,
                        > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                        > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                        > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                        > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                        > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                        > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                        > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                        > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                        > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                        > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                        > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                        > can shoot at it.
                        > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                        > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                        > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                        > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                        > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                        > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                        > legal height.
                        > Repectfully,
                        > -Geoffrei
                        >

                        > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                      • Hal B. Clark
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                          This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                          replacing
                          burlap in some usages.
                          Walk Tall
                          Gentle Ben