Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets

  • Chad Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
      On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal. If
      you go for a target that 30"x30"x6", you should be able to stop any arrow from
      any bow at any range. I saw a design like this up in Akron and it stopped the
      arrows very well. I recommend putting to wax on the arrows, as I saw someone
      lose an arrow tip to these sturdy targets. The argher club used wire banding
      to compress the carpet layers together for density.

      The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.

      -Caedmon

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
        I think the people at Diana's will ship them (dianashaftshop@... ) if
        you have no luck with email I'll get the phone # for you
        Ragnar (no slur taken :-)

        Talmon Parker wrote:

        > My lord Ragnar: No slur ment, But where do you get the ship's bumpers?
        > Are the avaiable to others?.
        > Talmon
        >
        > >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
        > >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Targets
        > >Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:29:52 -0400
        > >
        > >We've been using the cut off ends from ship bumpers There foam about 6"
        > >thick
        > >anywhere were form 2' to 6' The 4' weigh about 20 lb. and will stop a 250
        > >lb.
        > >crossbow at 10' Its got about 10,000 arrows in & good another The only
        > >problem pulling arrows from a heavy bow
        > >Ed at Diana's Shaft Shop is probably the one to talk
        > >dianashaftshop@...
        > >Ragnar two axe
        > >
        > >Simon Hondy wrote:
        > >
        > > > I am on the quest of an inexpensive yet durable archery target, but
        > > > durablility being of primary concern.
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions?
        > > >
        > > > If it requires building, and a parts list, could the supplier contacts
        > >be
        > > > provided?
        > > >
        > > > Simon Hondy
        > > > Baile na Scolairi
        > > > Midlands

        > > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
        > > > Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

        > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > >Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows
        > >Need a bow? Check http://www.baronbows.com/

      • Simon Hondy
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
          Ragnar,
          Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
          their site?
          Simon Hondy

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
            <On the idea of using carpet layers, trying putting the layers horizontal.
            <The Block target, is built on this premise, but with ethafoam sheets.
            <-Caedmon

            On this same model, I've been told to use old phonebooks clamped
            together so you're shooting into the edges of the pages. Likewise
            horizontal layers of cardboard clamped together and compressed. I
            like the idea of stopping the arrow/bolt with surrounding friction
            rather than blunt force on the head.

            -Yeliz
          • Jack Bradley
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
              Tell Ed you were talking to me about them he'll know the the proper name ( by
              the way you can get different pretty colours)
              Ragnar

              Simon Hondy wrote:

              > Ragnar,
              > Should I ask about "Ship's Bumpers" or one of the targets they have on
              > their site?
              > Simon Hondy

            • Jeff Elder
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                That might be a little heavy.. ;}

                Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                gotta be difficult!

                All wonderful Ideas though!

                Simon Hondy

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                  --- Jeff Elder <scholari@...> wrote:
                  > Sounds good stuff, but having to haul the equipment 1/4 mile each way, up
                  > hill, pouring rain-sleet-snow, rabid squirrels, and one river of fire....
                  > That might be a little heavy.. ;}
                  >
                  > Our group is fortunate to have a section of a city park to shoot in but we
                  > cannot set up permanent shelters, and having a stream running around the
                  > place we shoot, can't really drive up and unload either. I know, I just
                  > gotta be difficult!

                  Large wheels. Make a custom stand for our suggestions and use bicycle wheels
                  to pull them around. Those are large enough to go across most streams, creeks
                  or valley gorges. That is, unless it's a gulley washer...

                  -Caedmon

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Talmon Parker
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2001
                      Sounds like carpet is going to be your best bet.
                      Good luck and good shooting. Talmon

                    • James Mcadams
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                        > There was a commerical range that used the black insulation board that is
                        > used behind brick along the gulf coast. They cut it into 12"x36" strips and
                        > stacked them up to 30"high. They were compressed with 3/8"threaded rod and
                        > 2x6,s as far as I know they lasted for about 3years. The sheets cost about
                        > $6.00 or so. You can cut them with a electric hand saw.

                        A range here does likewise, with the additions of using heavy
                        plastic wrap to separate it into 10-12" bundles. Not only do you get
                        some weatherproofing, but you break it down into more easily managed
                        pieces for transport or re-shuffling.

                        Xavier
                        Jim McAdams | Do,
                        jmcadams@... | or Do Not.
                        630-859-6902 | There is no "Try". - Yoda
                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                          Good Afternoon to the List,
                          For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                          lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                          currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                          plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                          plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                          several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                          kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                          with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                          back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                          The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                          and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                          can shoot at it.
                          Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                          dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                          plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                          poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                          comfortably stops anything of mine.
                          You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                          legal height.
                          Repectfully,
                          -Geoffrei

                        • Eric Bosley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                            Greetings,

                            Back in the days my branch was too poor to afford decent target
                            butts we did as Geoffrei suggests hear except that instead of cardboard
                            boxes we stuffed the platic into a burlap bag. Whenever the burlap wore
                            out we simply sewed a new layer of burlap over the top. It stopped shots
                            from my 150 pound crossbow and lasted eight years.

                            H. L. Eric de Dragonslaire, OGGS
                            Barony of Dragon's Laire, Kingdom of An Tir

                            On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 jrosswebb1@... wrote:

                            > Good Afternoon to the List,
                            > For those of us on a budget that are marshals that are constantly
                            > lugging equipment, a variation on several previous postings is what I
                            > currently use. When you buy groceries and they ask you "paper or
                            > plastic?" always say plastic. And have everyone in your group say
                            > plastic. After a couple of weeks, you will have enough free stuffing for
                            > several archery targets. Go pick up empty boxes (especially the size and
                            > kind that a box fan comes in) about 30" square and 6-8" deep. Stuff it
                            > with the plastic bags and duct tape carpet scraps on the face and
                            > back(you may have to actually purchase the duct tape).
                            > The end result is a very cheap(free?) target butt than is small enough
                            > and light enough to carry and will stop most anything a scadian archer
                            > can shoot at it.
                            > Should it ever get totally shot up, its off to the cardboard recycling
                            > dumpster and the rubbish night pickups for more carpet and boxes, the
                            > plastic just needs to get stirred up and repacked.I shoot very heavy
                            > poundage bows(70-93#) with heavy arrows(700+ grains) and this
                            > comfortably stops anything of mine.
                            > You will need to make some form of frame or tripod to put it up to
                            > legal height.
                            > Repectfully,
                            > -Geoffrei
                            >

                            > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                          • Hal B. Clark
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                              This life can be extended by acquiring the woven polyestermaterial which is now
                              replacing
                              burlap in some usages.
                              Walk Tall
                              Gentle Ben